Blood Bowl

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You say that now, but just wait until my Chaos gets out the warzone that is d3. Well, maybe anyway, I'm still kind of bad, but am actually winning games now!

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I started in D3 and ended up with 1 or more players out for EVERY game except for my first in Season One. Somehow my luck turned and now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop :/.

Xannder_sl

shitlord
I feel your pain Funkor. I had a brutal stretch of games from the end of season 1 to the start of season 2. I think my highlight was playing 5 or 6 loners against Khalan.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Bad day to be a Chaos Dwarf.

rrr_img_22072.jpg

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fuck this game... Getting my ass kicked in single player on the first campaigns lol.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yup, this is the only game I've ever played where you could put 100 hours in and still have shit make you go "Oh, THAT's what that does."

Fortunately, there's a lot of us playing most of the teams in the game, and we've basically even taken over the IRC channel with it, so there's a huge knowledge base at your disposal here. It's well worth it as long as you can handle the double 1's rage. If you can't laugh at the shit that happens to you in this game, you won't be able to keep going without throwing your monitor thru a window or 2.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's well worth it as long as you can handle the double 1's rage. If you can't laugh at the shit that happens to you in this game, you won't be able to keep going without throwing your monitor thru a window or 2.
Copious amounts of alcohol helps, too. Stone IPA is the only reason I didn't rage quit in my last game against StupidMonkey.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Copious amounts of alcohol helps, too. Stone IPA is the only reason I didn't rage quit in my last game against StupidMonkey.
Stone IPA is a good choice. I have 25 year bottles of scotch and then the cheap shit when I need to really make the woes go away.

Man. I signed up to play in the OCC feeder league this season (SSC). Picked underworld thinking they would be fun. Bad idea. I'm now 0-4, with a -11 score difference. I just feel like my hands are tied. Without gutter runners they aren't fast enough to get away like a skaven team, they can't reliably dodge away, and with the goblins I pretty much can't outbash anything due to having a strength deficit against anything, even elves. The whole team just feels useless. My one bright spot was not losing any of my skaven players, until this last game when I had a thrower die.

Any of you familiar with underworld? Am I just not getting it? incorrect playstyle? What should I be doing? I did have two skillups finally in these last two games: one blitzer now has mighty blow and my troll just picked up tentacles. That's it so far.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Underworld is not a competitive team outside stunty leagues is all. You might as well just play goblins or halflings.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Underworld is not a competitive team outside stunty leagues is all. You might as well just play goblins or halflings.
Not exactly. UW are in a narrow subset of "Almost" balanced teams, that also include Khemri and Vamps. They CAN be competitive, but you've gotta be pretty fucking good with them in order for that to be the case. They're typically just about a half step behind most of the main teams (of which our league is comprised of). For arguments sake, I don't feel I could be competitive in D1 with Underworld, but I was extremely competitive in D2A last season with them, finishing 3-1-2 if I recall correctly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Just being better than everyone you're playing against doesn't make them a competitive team sir. I'm pretty sure you'd have done fine with halflings too.

I've found underworld to be especially rough to play for the first few games with no skills and can take some desperate moves to score. But once some players get developed they have a bit better time of it. The blitz'ers are great with easy killer skill access and stuff like 2 heads on the gobs make for a easier time.
Tactics wise i generally try to keep in mind a few things. firstly i found (cutlerys?) advice early in one of the bb threads useful - that you can to an extent control who and how many of your team gets bashed by who you leave next to the other team. underworld are weak str and av for the most part so keep them loose. goblins, especially with 2heads have a decent time dodging away out of zones. Try and get the troll to tie up as many players as possible giving you a number advantage on the rest of the pitch, him just standing there and not bashing can often be better than trying to hit and risking a bad roll/stupidity and tentacles works to that end.
as a playstyle i think trying to control space and movement is the best way to go against most teams (agi heavy its harder). try and restrict the movement of their players around the pitch by screening them out and try and be aware of the move speed of their players, if they commit their slow players too heavily to one side, push the other side and leave them in the dust, long run/hand offs are good for this as the play effectively moves to a different part of the pitch.
Defensively still try and keep your guys out of bash range unless totally necessary else you'll just get ground down. try and stall cages and let them only have the blitz to hit with, then try and make decisive strikes with your killer blitz'ers.
They're not awful at bashing against the high agi teams as you still get 6 skaven and a troll and the goblins are mobile and can move around for assists as long as your careful.
They deff feel like an advanced level team, you have to adapt to who your playing against, out move/dodge the slow bashy teams and hurt the agi teams. It helps i think to have experience with teams at both ends of the spectrum so you have a feel for both styles of play and move between them game to game.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Just being better than everyone you're playing against doesn't make them a competitive team sir. I'm pretty sure you'd have done fine with halflings too.
I didn't say they were competitive, I said they were almost competitive
smile.png
I don't think I could have done the same with halflings.

But, they definitely have a completely unique style that's not skaven and it's not goblins. They're pretty fun, but there's a bit of a learning curve to them and once shit starts to go downhill, it goes fast. They're not a lost cause, but you've gotta be pretty good at managing your blocks in order to stay afloat.