Bloodborne

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kroenen

Regimen Morum
It wasn't that move, it was just similar. It was more like he got the boss in a headlock from behind while he was staggered, and bit him, or something like that. His HP just dramatically plummeted in a few steps. Like one huge hit followed by several less-huge hits all in around one second.
Ah, ok then he probably had the Kos Parasite equipped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Dont remember where she was, Ebrietas daughter of the cosmos. She was an optional boss as said above but I did her during my playthrough before beating the game and she was a ball buster
Ok, the reason I asked is that you can find a version of her down in the great Isz chalice dungeon, that fucker has almost double the hp of the optional one and acts very erratic.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ah, ok then he probably had the Kos Parasite equipped.

I've never used that myself, that explains it. So it's insanely OP? I'm guessing he got a visceral attack with it, but still, 75% of Father G's HP gone at once is ridiculous. We -skipped- the second and third phases.

I just got past BSB and got Ludwig's Holy Sword. It's doing a lot less damage than the Saw Spear, even on humanoids, but I take it that'll get better with weapon levels (WTB Twin Blood Stone Shards) and Arcane levels. I'm doing Hemwick Lane next and I'll try to get everything there / defeat the witches before I go after Vicar.

When does an "arcane run" start to feel like an arcane run? Like when is the first Hunter Tool? So far it's been just like a normal run, except with me putting points into Arcane at the cost of my regular stats, making everything harder. Like others have said, it's really too bad there isn't an arcane spell earlier in the game. I'm using molotovs and flamesprayer, at least, but those are very limited in overall use.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When does an "arcane run" start to feel like an arcane run? Like when is the first Hunter Tool? So far it's been just like a normal run, except with me putting points into Arcane at the cost of my regular stats, making everything harder. Like others have said, it's really too bad there isn't an arcane spell earlier in the game. I'm using molotovs and flamesprayer, at least, but those are very limited in overall use.
The moment you kill Father G and can get the flamesprayer (which isn't limited at all in practice). The key is to go straight to Father G and not waste your time struggling with Cleric Beast using weak weapons and no tool yet. From that point on the only thing in the game that should give you any trouble at all is Logarius, he's a bitch and unless you are an absolute god at parrying it's probably best to just ignore him until after you've finished all the chalice dungeon farming and are so OP that even he can't do anything about it.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
(WTB Twin Blood Stone Shards)

This is my only complaint about Bloodborne. It seems weapon upgrade mats are way fewer and far(er) between than in the other Souls games. And there’s only one final piece per play through I think? Possibly a second in the DLC?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I've never used that myself, that explains it. So it's insanely OP? I'm guessing he got a visceral attack with it, but still, 75% of Father G's HP gone at once is ridiculous. We -skipped- the second and third phases.

I don't have a personal experience with that weapon as I have only ever played bloodborne on PC via PsNow, so DLC is off limits to me. That is why I started killing massive amounts of time down in chalice dungeons in hope of SONY eventually releasing a complete version for that platform. Endless dungeon crawling is right up my alley, but it sure would be nice with a PC port.

I just got past BSB and got Ludwig's Holy Sword. It's doing a lot less damage than the Saw Spear, even on humanoids, but I take it that'll get better with weapon levels (WTB Twin Blood Stone Shards) and Arcane levels. I'm doing Hemwick Lane next and I'll try to get everything there / defeat the witches before I go after Vicar

Save Ludwig's sword for later when you can convert it.

Right now, saw weapons with fire gems in them are your best bet. Tha path of the Arcanist starts paying off at around 50 ARC, then it just gets better and better ;)

• 1Like

Vorph

This is my only complaint about Bloodborne. It seems weapon upgrade mats are way fewer and far(er) between than in the other Souls games. And there’s only one final piece per play through I think? Possibly a second in the DLC?
Twins are easily farmed in the gaol (bonfire in the big room with two snatchers in it, kill them over and over). The drop is rare though, so don't farm more than you absolutely need because they become trivial to get later on.

Chunks are a bitch. There's spots to farm them but since you need 16 for +7 to +9 it's going to be a slog no matter what you do. That said, there's enough for at least 4 weapons that are littered around the game so unless you're really obsessive about upgrading stuff you aren't even using it's not that big a deal.

Rocks -- one in main game, one in DLC, can buy for 60 insight, and then there's chalice dungeons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Depth 5 root chalices have an additional 3 blood rocks in chests. Also rare drop from any of the depth 5 root bosses.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Save Ludwig's sword for later when you can convert it.

So stick to the Saw Spear for now until later? What's your suggestion for converting?

I don't remember converting anything in my previous runs...I think I just stuck to whatever my early chosen weapon was throughout.

Edit: I upgraded Ludwig's to +4 or +5, was that a bad move? Saw Spear and Flamesprayer meanwhile are +1. Sounds like I need to be getting those up.

Vorph

So stick to the Saw Spear for now until later? What's your suggestion for converting?

I don't remember converting anything in my previous runs...I think I just stuck to whatever my early chosen weapon was throughout.
Honestly you can just stick to saw spear forever, but you do need to get a Lost version from a chalice dungeon once you're able to farm the gems that go in it (specifically the fire triangle that replaces one of the radials).

If you really want to use LHS, it's the same situation and you need the Lost version of it with R/T/W slots instead of the normal R/R/W.

kroenen

Regimen Morum

Edit: I upgraded Ludwig's to +4 or +5, was that a bad move? Saw Spear and Flamesprayer meanwhile are +1. Sounds like I need to be getting those up.

Stick with Saw Spear for now. Don't upgrade Ludwig's any further and focus on the Flamesprayer right now, and later on the spear. Get the 8% fire gem that you find in the Cathedral ward alleyway on a corpse guarded by a Brainsucker and slot it in the spear. Poisen cave in forbidden woods have two usefull gems, 10% Arcane gem and the 9% Nourishing gem. Don't forget the rune etching tool in Hemwick. What's your ARC lvl right now ?

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Stick with Saw Spear for now. Don't upgrade Ludwig's any further and focus on the Flamesprayer right now, and later on the spear. Get the 8% fire gem that you find in the Cathedral ward alleyway on a corpse guarded by a Brainsucker and slot it in the spear. Poisen cave in forbidden woods have two usefull gems, 10% Arcane gem and the 9% Nourishing gem. Don't forget the rune etching tool in Hemwick. What's your ARC lvl right now ?

Right now ARC is 21 I believe, started at 14 because of Cruel Fate. I'll go get those gems next.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Right now ARC is 21 I believe, started at 14 because of Cruel Fate. I'll go get those gems next.
Good, then you're close to the soft-cap by the time you get the spear slotted. What are your current upgrade lvl on the FS and SS ?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Good, then you're close to the soft-cap by the time you get the spear slotted. What are your current upgrade lvl on the FS and SS ?

Still +1 and +1, haven't been able to get into Hemwick Lane yet. IIRC there are a bunch of Twin shards there so I can hopefully get FS to +5 there.

Depending on how fun this arcane run is, I might do the DLC again and Ebrietas etc. In the gun-only run, I only did mandatory bosses and booked it to the end of the game.

What's the earliest I can fight Darkbeast Paarl? Would be cool to have that fight actually be a challenge instead of something I roll over late in the game when I find it by accident.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Still +1 and +1, haven't been able to get into Hemwick Lane yet. IIRC there are a bunch of Twin shards there so I can hopefully get FS to +5 there.

Depending on how fun this arcane run is, I might do the DLC again and Ebrietas etc. In the gun-only run, I only did mandatory bosses and booked it to the end of the game.

What's the earliest I can fight Darkbeast Paarl? Would be cool to have that fight actually be a challenge instead of something I roll over late in the game when I find it by accident.
An upgraded Flamesprayer with some bone marrow ash throw in and the beast is toast, so if you want a challange you have to pack your bags and head for the fight before any serious upgrades to that sprayer.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

I just got past BSB and got Ludwig's Holy Sword. It's doing a lot less damage than the Saw Spear, even on humanoids, but I take it that'll get better with weapon levels (WTB Twin Blood Stone Shards) and Arcane levels. I'm doing Hemwick Lane next and I'll try to get everything there / defeat the witches before I go after Vicar.

Did you get a fire or bolt gem for your weapon yet? Otherwise it's not really arcane yet IMO.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did you get a fire or bolt gem for your weapon yet? Otherwise it's not really arcane yet IMO.

Just got the Blades of Mercy alternate with Arcane scaling on it from a chalice dungeon. That's my favorite weapon in the game (I've never used the Whirligig or the DLC weaps though) and it's great to have it back. Had to get it to +6 to equip the Fire gem I had, but it's done. Would rather have Bolt gem but hey, it's good for now. About halfway through the game, roughly, and I finally feel like I've got an "Arcane build" sort of.

Darkbeast Paarl and Vicar Amelia down. Next thing I want to get is Rosemarinus to replace Flamesprayer, but it looks like that has to wait until after Rom. Now I'm in Cathedral Ward trying to remember how to get to Rom (lul). Through the woods, IIRC.

I like how Cathedral Ward is such a central hub in this game. The world layout is second to none. Very few games have this kind of interconnected world design that just works. Super Metroid and the original Dark Souls are two others.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Just got the Blades of Mercy alternate with Arcane scaling on it from a chalice dungeon. That's my favorite weapon in the game (I've never used the Whirligig or the DLC weaps though) and it's great to have it back. Had to get it to +6 to equip the Fire gem I had, but it's done. Would rather have Bolt gem but hey, it's good for now. About halfway through the game, roughly, and I finally feel like I've got an "Arcane build" sort of.

Darkbeast Paarl and Vicar Amelia down. Next thing I want to get is Rosemarinus to replace Flamesprayer, but it looks like that has to wait until after Rom. Now I'm in Cathedral Ward trying to remember how to get to Rom (lul). Through the woods, IIRC.

I like how Cathedral Ward is such a central hub in this game. The world layout is second to none. Very few games have this kind of interconnected world design that just works. Super Metroid and the original Dark Souls are two others.
Keep in mind fire damage is better against beasts and bolt against kin. Paarl always gives me hell. I always do better against the humanoid bosses.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Keep in mind fire damage is better against beasts and bolt against kin. Paarl always gives me hell. I always do better against the humanoid bosses.

Yeah, Paarl wasn't easy. I mainly used the flamethrower on his mid-section and got a few staggers out of it.

Got a goofy question: Is there any armor/appearance in this game that actually looks sexy on a female character? Inclined to say no.

White Church Trousers (with nothing else on) looks kind of hot on a female. Doll Skirt + Gloves isn't as nice but it's something. Again, no top. For a full outfit, the Knight's Garb/Dress looks great on a female, sorta like an Assassin's Creed outfit. There's also the Noble's Dress which is probably the most feminine outfit, but it isn't exactly sexy.

It's possible I missed something.

I also like the crow outfit, whatever it's called. Got that on my very first playthrough and it's awesome.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Paarl wasn't easy. I mainly used the flamethrower on his mid-section and got a few staggers out of it.

Got a goofy question: Is there any armor/appearance in this game that actually looks sexy on a female character? Inclined to say no.

White Church Trousers (with nothing else on) looks kind of hot on a female. Doll Skirt + Gloves isn't as nice but it's something. Again, no top. For a full outfit, the Knight's Garb/Dress looks great on a female, sorta like an Assassin's Creed outfit. There's also the Noble's Dress which is probably the most feminine outfit, but it isn't exactly sexy.

It's possible I missed something.

I also like the crow outfit, whatever it's called. Got that on my very first playthrough and it's awesome.
I never played a female but probably not. There is the dolls outfit you cam get. That or Maria's outfit.

The axe does a number on Paarl. The charged R2 almost automatically hits his legs.

• 1Like