Bloodborne

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I never played a female but probably not. There is the dolls outfit you cam get. That or Maria's outfit.

The axe does a number on Paarl. The charged R2 almost automatically hits his legs.

Maria's outfit is a great idea, I didn't think of that one. That and Rosemarinus are my new goals. Let's gooooo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rosmarinus really isn't very useful. Flamesprayer always has its niche vs. beasts and in combo with oil urns, but by the time you get Rosmarinus you should already have Executioner Gloves and Augur of Ebrietas which vastly outclass it (and everything else aside from a few situational exceptions).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm finding Rosemarinus useful not just because it does more damage with high arcane (and I don't need to mess with oil urns), but also because I can actually see what the mobs are doing through the cloud. Before, I took a lot of hits because Flamethrower obscured the enemies a bit.

Lost Blades of Mercy +6 with a Bolt gemstone is absolutely wrecking things, as is Rosemarinus +6. I still need to get Executioner Gloves, and lots of Blood Stone Chunks.

Not sure if I'm gonna do the DLC, the endgame (One Reborn onward), or Upper Cathedral Ward next.

All in all I'm not super thrilled with an Arcane run. I now understand why the stat is there and I'm glad it is, but it's stunted as a build because they didn't make Arcane all that feasible until over halfway through the main game. Still, once you have it up and running, it's cool.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like blades of mercy but the short range of them made me never really use them. Maybe I should try it sometime.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I'm finding Rosemarinus useful not just because it does more damage with high arcane (and I don't need to mess with oil urns), but also because I can actually see what the mobs are doing through the cloud. Before, I took a lot of hits because Flamethrower obscured the enemies a bit.

For situational trash mob clearance, Rosmarinus is better against Kin and FlameSprayer agains beasts, so "generally" speaking Rosmarinus is better below ground ( Chalice dungeons ) and Flamesprayer above ground (main game).

Lost Blades of Mercy +6 with a Bolt gemstone is absolutely wrecking things, as is Rosemarinus +6. I still need to get Executioner Gloves, and lots of Blood Stone Chunks.

No, it's shit for a pure arcane build. What you have now is not a converted weapon. Regardless of it being Normal/Lost/Uncanny, the Blade of Mercy can't be converted, cause it's at split damage weapon and it's arcane scaling is subpar. Here is the mechanism behind it:

This is the damage stat for the Blade of Mercy, it physically scales with STR/SKL.

Blade of mercy2.png

Notice it's already imbued with 30 ARC , so it scales with that too. When you aim for a pure arcane build of 99 you don't want to weaken you weapon with split scaling from stats that you only meet the wield req for. So what will happen when you put your fire gem in it is this...NOTHING, everything remains the same in regards to stat scaling.

A conversion weapon (pure physical) however is a completely different story:

Here is the Saw Spear damage stat, it also physically scales with STR/SKL

SwaSpear2.png

Notice that there are no imbued stats for Blood/Arc/Fire/Bolt. This is what you want, and what will happen when you put an elemental gem in it is that it stop all scaling from the physical stats and put all scaling into Arcane. Now you have an true arcane weapon.

The reason you feel that the Blade of mercy "wreck things" is not really an elemental thing and maybe in parts more of a mental thing, and/or progression dependent.
You started out really rough and your point of reference to compare with is your prior build and your favourite weapon Blade of Mercy. So in the end you went back to what you are used to with maybe a little arcane sprinkled on top.
Of course it will feel much better with a lvl 6+ gem slotted split weapon compared to a low lvl conversion weapon with no gems in it, and on top of that a moveset you are not used to or maybe even like.
That is why I always try to recommend weapons that have similar movesets to "favourite" weapons but that are pure physical, for example you mentioned when starting your run that you planned on using the MLGS, (split damage weapon). I reccomended LHS instead (pure physical) , as both weapons share similar movesets.

If you are still not convinced that Blade of Mercy is bad for a 99 ARC build let me give you some stats. Let's compare Blade of Mercy with one of the weakest conversion weapons for PVE , Beasthunter Saif.

So how does BOM compare to the weak BHS in a pure arcane 99 build?

Nm35Z0u.png

Out of 486 possible gem combinations, three different combinations were choosen to compete with one of the weakest conversion weapons, and even then the BOM underperforms in all of the test scores.

All in all I'm not super thrilled with an Arcane run. I now understand why the stat is there and I'm glad it is, but it's stunted as a build because they didn't make Arcane all that feasible until over halfway through the main game. Still, once you have it up and running, it's cool.

Im not suprised, atm you are just putting points into Arcane without even being close to using it to it's full potential. If you still want to soldier on with the Blade of Mercy, you need at least get to ARC 50 and start collecting your hunter tools ASAP.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Why are you using a "gun" instead of your hunter tools though? Arcane is all about Executioner Gloves and Augur of Ebrietas, both of which are accessible earlier than Rosmarinus.
Something's gone horribly wrong then. Watch some of that video from Speed Lee that I linked above, you'll see what an Arcane run should look like. Arcane done right completely trivializes the game, with the sole exception being Logarius (the first time you're at Cainhurst... when you come back later with a proper gemmed Lost Saw Spear +10 he's simple as well).

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why are you using a "gun" instead of your hunter tools though? Arcane is all about Executioner Gloves and Augur of Ebrietas, both of which are accessible earlier than Rosmarinus.

Something's gone horribly wrong then. Watch some of that video from Speed Lee that I linked above, you'll see what an Arcane run should look like. Arcane done right completely trivializes the game, with the sole exception being Logarius (the first time you're at Cainhurst... when you come back later with a proper gemmed Lost Saw Spear +10 he's simple as well).

I missed the Gloves and Augur (been going without a walkthrough), need to go back and get them. I've got ARC at 50 now. Rosemarinus was mainly just something I wanted to switch up my Flamesprayer use. If nothing else those weapons are super fun to mess around with in the early-mid game.

The main thing I like about BOM is how you can stick and move with it. Super-fast attacks in a game that doesn't usually have them. It also stuns weaker foes for a split second on impact which allows you to chain up hits with it. You definitely want Stamina and Skill for a BOM run though. This current run is still at base Stamina so I can't stack up BOM hits like I could on my past BOM run.

For situational trash mob clearance, Rosmarinus is better against Kin and FlameSprayer agains beasts, so "generally" speaking Rosmarinus is better below ground ( Chalice dungeons ) and Flamesprayer above ground (main game).

No, it's shit for a pure arcane build. What you have now is not a converted weapon. Regardless of it being Normal/Lost/Uncanny, the Blade of Mercy can't be converted, cause it's at split damage weapon and it's arcane scaling is subpar. Here is the mechanism behind it:

This is the damage stat for the Blade of Mercy, it physically scales with STR/SKL.

View attachment 362079

Notice it's already imbued with 30 ARC , so it scales with that too. When you aim for a pure arcane build of 99 you don't want to weaken you weapon with split scaling from stats that you only meet the wield req for. So what will happen when you put your fire gem in it is this...NOTHING, everything remains the same in regards to stat scaling.

A conversion weapon (pure physical) however is a completely different story:

Here is the Saw Spear damage stat, it also physically scales with STR/SKL

View attachment 362081

Notice that there are no imbued stats for Blood/Arc/Fire/Bolt. This is what you want, and what will happen when you put an elemental gem in it is that it stop all scaling from the physical stats and put all scaling into Arcane. Now you have an true arcane weapon.

The reason you feel that the Blade of mercy "wreck things" is not really an elemental thing and maybe in parts more of a mental thing, and/or progression dependent.
You started out really rough and your point of reference to compare with is your prior build and your favourite weapon Blade of Mercy. So in the end you went back to what you are used to with maybe a little arcane sprinkled on top.
Of course it will feel much better with a lvl 6+ gem slotted split weapon compared to a low lvl conversion weapon with no gems in it, and on top of that a moveset you are not used to or maybe even like.
That is why I always try to recommend weapons that have similar movesets to "favourite" weapons but that are pure physical, for example you mentioned when starting your run that you planned on using the MLGS, (split damage weapon). I reccomended LHS instead (pure physical) , as both weapons share similar movesets.

If you are still not convinced that Blade of Mercy is bad for a 99 ARC build let me give you some stats. Let's compare Blade of Mercy with one of the weakest conversion weapons for PVE , Beasthunter Saif.

So how does BOM compare to the weak BHS in a pure arcane 99 build?

View attachment 362083

Out of 486 possible gem combinations, three different combinations were choosen to compete with one of the weakest conversion weapons, and even then the BOM underperforms in all of the test scores.

Im not suprised, atm you are just putting points into Arcane without even being close to using it to it's full potential. If you still want to soldier on with the Blade of Mercy, you need at least get to ARC 50 and start collecting your hunter tools ASAP.

It seems like Lost BOM is wrecking things because it's "proccing" bolt a lot and seems to be doing plenty of damage with that. So I want a pure physical weapon to "convert" with the Bolt gem? Does that mean leave "Physical Damage +13%" type gems out entirely? My Lost BOM has like +25% physical damage and +18% Bolt damage IIRC.

I think Ludwig's sword is pure physical so whenever I get home I'll try switching the Bolt gem over to that one and see if it converts. That's probably why people were suggesting Ludwig's earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

kroenen

Regimen Morum
It seems like Lost BOM is wrecking things because it's "proccing" bolt a lot and seems to be doing plenty of damage with that. So I want a pure physical weapon to "convert" with the Bolt gem? Does that mean leave "Physical Damage +13%" type gems out entirely? My Lost BOM has like +25% physical damage and +18% Bolt damage IIRC.

Correct, no physical gems anywhere near your converted weapon!

I think Ludwig's sword is pure physical so whenever I get home I'll try switching the Bolt gem over to that one and see if it converts. That's probably why people were suggesting Ludwig's earlier in the thread.

That would be me ;)

• 2Like

Vorph

Pretty much, except that fire is better overall than bolt. You can do bolt too, of course, but I just half-assed my bolt weapon rather than spend all that extra time farming for perfect gems on something highly situational. Mostly I just did it because I like using Ludwig's and having a set of bolt gems gave me an excuse to use it occasionally. Realistically though, I can't think of anything weak to bolt that isn't easier to kill with tools than a sword.

Perfect conversion gems are something close to this:

Radial - Arcane scaling +65, ATK vs. open foes +5% (or whatever), +stamina cost
Triangle - Fire ATK Up +27%, +stamina cost
Waning - Arcane scaling +65, +Add Fire ATK +15, +stamina cost
(+stamina cost is generally the least shitty negative stat to find on cursed gems)

That requires quite a lot of farming, as well as looking up the correct glyphs to use, and obviously isn't necessary if you're just doing a one-and-done and not going onto NG+1 and beyond.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much, except that fire is better overall than bolt. You can do bolt too, of course, but I just half-assed my bolt weapon rather than spend all that extra time farming for perfect gems on something highly situational. Mostly I just did it because I like using Ludwig's and having a set of bolt gems gave me an excuse to use it occasionally. Realistically though, I can't think of anything weak to bolt that isn't easier to kill with tools than a sword.

Perfect conversion gems are something close to this:

Radial - Arcane scaling +65, ATK vs. open foes +5% (or whatever), +stamina cost
Triangle - Fire ATK Up +27%, +stamina cost
Waning - Arcane scaling +65, +Add Fire ATK +15, +stamina cost
(+stamina cost is generally the least shitty negative stat to find on cursed gems)

That requires quite a lot of farming, as well as looking up the correct glyphs to use, and obviously isn't necessary if you're just doing a one-and-done and not going onto NG+1 and beyond.

Yeah I'm just doing a one-and-done. I've got like +18% Bolt and +8% Fire IIRC which is one of the reasons why I lean Bolt. Just don't have a comparable Fire gem.

I'm going to beat the game but I'm not sure what else. Ebrietas, some of the DLC. Probably don't need to be fully-maximized or farm.

When I did the gun-only Bloodtinge run, I actually planned on doing lots of farming and maximizing because I thought it'd be necessary. Turns out, high Bloodtinge and a leveled-up Evelyn just breaks most of the later game, so I didn't need to min-max.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of breaking the game... I hope the remaster gets rid of the Cum Chalice. Just did that a few times to fill up on Blood Vials/Quicksilver Bullets and realized that it completely shatters the game if you do it more than a few times.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Speaking of breaking the game... I hope the remaster gets rid of the Cum Chalice. Just did that a few times to fill up on Blood Vials/Quicksilver Bullets and realized that it completely shatters the game if you do it more than a few times.
Save edited false depth dungeons like that one has been around for a while, and I have yet to read about Sony banning any of the players who made edits like that one.
I do agree with you that they don't belong in the game, but don't have high hopes for that to change in an eventual remaster. I try to avoid exploring false depth dungeons, cause you never know if the one you enter is a save edit from a developer/test dungeon by someone with malicious intent. as some of them can get your character stuck in there forever with no exit and other possibility of leaving that dungeon.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I like blades of mercy but the short range of them made me never really use them. Maybe I should try it sometime.
I want to do a run with them because they force you to be better at dodging. Since they don't stagger and you can't parry with them in the transformed mode.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Not sure if I'm gonna do the DLC, the endgame (One Reborn onward), or Upper Cathedral Ward next.

I looked back after killing the last boss. Think I shoulda done the hunter's torch as arcane. Never saw the thing. Not seeing a fire gem early game was kind of annoying too. Molotov damage owned a bunch of shit, I think its fine.

If I'm going to make a serious showing on PC release, I need to figure out all this labyrinth autism.

Vorph

I love me some Bloodborne but chalice dungeons have always felt like something that shipped while still in alpha testing. I highly doubt they'll do anything to fix them if the (highly unlikely imo) PS5/PC port happens, but maybe if Sony ever coughs up the money for a BB2 they will come up with a much more polished system.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I love me some Bloodborne but chalice dungeons have always felt like something that shipped while still in alpha testing. I highly doubt they'll do anything to fix them if the (highly unlikely imo) PS5/PC port happens, but maybe if Sony ever coughs up the money for a BB2 they will come up with a much more polished system.
I did all the chalice dungeons for the storyline up to killing the queen. Never felt the need to do the random ones for farming.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I also did the Chalice dungeons only for the purposes of getting to the Queen.

They seem like their own game, really. Like you could just spend all your time doing those if you wanted to.

Huh. Imagine if the entire game WAS Chalice Dungeons. No regular zones, just a zillion procedurally generated caves. It probably would have still managed to be good.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I mean, from my initial assessments there's some real busted pixel progression you can do with these things. I got some time before November.

There's like game genie codez n shit for em.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I looked back after killing the last boss. Think I shoulda done the hunter's torch as arcane. Never saw the thing. Not seeing a fire gem early game was kind of annoying too. Molotov damage owned a bunch of shit, I think its fine.

If I'm going to make a serious showing on PC release, I need to figure out all this labyrinth autism.
The Chalice Dungeons are one of the best "Side B" of any game I have ever played.

The stupid torch is on the way to BSB while you're being shot at. It's easy to miss.

• 1Like