Board Games

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My group on a hiatus as a couple people have burnt out and have been a bummer at board game nights. Hoping Betrayal Legacy in November helps get things going again.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
My group on a hiatus as a couple people have burnt out and have been a bummer at board game nights. Hoping Betrayal Legacy in November helps get things going again.

If your group - or any other group - does not play 18xx board games (and i include even the tiresome Hecht variants here - cause they're good for a laugh and a couple of whirls before you get back to the better ones) then they and you are merely diletantes. -Tip

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Stonemaier has a new game up for preorder called Between Two Castles. If you're part of their champion program it's 6 bucks off and free shipping. I have had a lot of fun with everything from them so far (Scythe and all it's expansions, Charterstone, Viticulture and My Little Scythe) that they have become a blind purchase company for me along the lines of From Software on the video game side.

Standard Link
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Champion Link
(Champion Pre-Order) Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig - enter CHAMPIONSHIP code at checkout (or CHAMPION-INT for international champions)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
If your group - or any other group - does not play 18xx board games (and i include even the tiresome Hecht variants here - cause they're good for a laugh and a couple of whirls before you get back to the better ones) then they and you are merely diletantes. -Tip

Most serious 18xx players frown on making deals, colluding, or trying to make other people lose because you are losing, it's pretty funny considering the subject matter.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Didnt show in search. Anyone play dice forge?

We have Dice Forge and its actually been pretty fun. While the 'change the face of the die' seems like a cheap gimmick at first you quickly realize that its all about resource management with a healthy level of RNG thrown in via the dice themselves. Doesn't take too long to play and serves as a nice warm-up before having a soul-crushing round of Scythe etc.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Speaking of scythe, had passed on the steam version as reviews bad and it looked rather rough. Waiting on the upcoming RTS.

Which RTS macro management is what dice forge reminds me of. Basically balancing maxing "production" then leaving time to then pump resources into score. So far 2 main strats really just seemed to max gold production like mad with hammer and cards for gold conversion vs just moon/fire for monster cards score. Not sure if a major 3rd way. It was fun enough especially if dice were easier to remove faces, but in the end, kinda felt hollow winning. At least with basic setup, winning didnt feel like much because you have so little interaction with others other than stuff like minotaur zapping some of their resources, didn't feel that competitive. Like you could basically just play by yourself for a "high score" then compare it to people playing on other days solo for all the actual strife there is in the game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Finally got to play Wasteland Express Delivery Service. Great game, love pretty much all the mechanics and lots of replay value. Also one of the few board games where the inserts included null the need for 3rd party inserts like broken token.
642941FD-D24A-46C5-8819-A43D583791F1.jpeg
7C4A407F-180B-4FF4-836F-023B93727A6B.jpeg
AE196D9F-CE2D-47FE-91F4-7DFD0350D4CC.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Any recommendations for games for 4-6 people? Or even up to 8? So far we've doing some cataan with up to 6 players (got the expansion for more players), 7 wonders, and Twilight Imperium. I'm always looking for another option or two.

Secret Hitler

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Played Root a couple weeks ago, pretty neat game. Every player is a different faction and they all play completely differently.

Root

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I had no idea it was rated so high until I went to look up some rules stuff. Been a bit disconnected from games as my group has been in a bit of a funk. It's been a nice break.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I played King of Tokyo for the first time in a very long time, i forgot how good it is and how easy to teach. Will play again soon. It's also a nice break from complex games.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah I had no idea it was rated so high until I went to look up some rules stuff. Been a bit disconnected from games as my group has been in a bit of a funk. It's been a nice break.

it is on my list to pick up.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Root is a pretty great game. The 2 expansion factions are fun as well. Played it a bunch at Gen Con, been meaning to get it back to the table.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finished Scythe campaign, was pretty good overall. Going to start trying out the new modules individually in normal games of Scythe.

Group picked up Raiders of the North, decent little game. Have to make sure your tempo matches the other players near the end of the game or you're likely to have wasted multiple turns when the game end condition triggers.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
In our one game of Root, the trader guy wasn't really playing correctly, and when when he realized what to do he went from like 10 victory points to winning within maybe 2 turns, lol.

All the factions looked interesting, need to play it a lot more.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played Root a couple weeks ago, pretty neat game. Every player is a different faction and they all play completely differently.

Root

Looks really "cute" for the wife and her friends who like games, but also love that cute shit. But, at the same time, it looks like an in-depth and complicated game from some of the things I've read. Would it be a good fit for casual players, or do you need a DnD/EQ/nerd background to get it?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I think it could work great for casual players, as long as they can pay attention and are invested in it enough to learn what they need to do. Every player playing the game differently exponentially increases the time it takes to learn if 1-2 people have to learn every role in order for the rest of the group to be able to play, for example. Everything you can do is on your player card, broken into the phases you do them.

pic3956471.jpg

pic3956472.jpg

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Looks really "cute" for the wife and her friends who like games, but also love that cute shit. But, at the same time, it looks like an in-depth and complicated game from some of the things I've read. Would it be a good fit for casual players, or do you need a DnD/EQ/nerd background to get it?

I think some of the factions are fine for casual players. But the table will certainly need at least one heavy gamer to police the game, since literally every faction is playing a different game, so one player who knows everything is super helpful. I think the only thing in the base box that would be rough for a casual gamer would be the Raccoon, since you are only one unit and interact on a VERY different axis with the game.