Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
1985-talisman-2nd-edition-expansions_1_eab1336c5c318d7c491f2186cfb959b0.jpg

Games Workshop Talisman The Magical Quest Game 2nd Edition 1985
Thinking of ordering this. I have 4th edition, but this was the best art hands down.
I'm still trying to buy a dudes original, full + all xpacs 2nd edition set but he is being a right cunt about the selling price. Might be worth 400 since the scarcity of full 2nd sets in great condition are abysmal at best.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got in the Feast for Odin expansion, The Norwegians, so punched it all out and going to give it a try at boardgame night tonight. Fucker's going to take up twilight-imperium level play space in one more expansion. Caverna Forgotten Races expansion is shipping in the US this week too, so it seems we're hitting that magical "one to two months where all this shit from last year's essen gets dumped into the USA at once" time again.

Norwegians is a pretty thorough expansion. Some autists on the boardgamegeek forums are pounding their fists on their computer desks and insisting it's a second edition, not an expansion, and they feel very angry about that for some reason.

Last edited:

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone done any research or trial and error on what kind of lights / light bulbs to put over a gaming table?

Replacing kitchen lights soon and i wanna get something that is good for board gaming, hate the glare we get from current lights. If anyone has a setup they are happy with Id love to hear about it

Thanks

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone done any research or trial and error on what kind of lights / light bulbs to put over a gaming table?

Replacing kitchen lights soon and i wanna get something that is good for board gaming, hate the glare we get from current lights. If anyone has a setup they are happy with Id love to hear about it

Thanks

I think dimmable is nice to reduce glare but only if you have plenty of natural light as well.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm about to work on an experiment with our gaming club space with some Philips lightstrips myself - working on the frame with a friend to hang an array of strips over the play area. From our limited testing they seem really high light output with minimal glare.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Back from Boardgame night, we decided to take a week off from Feast for Odin expansion (Which is pretty great, but kind of shoddily put together, and the player-specific huts are ultimately underwhelming) to try the Caverna Races Expansion now that it's arrived. Really enjoyed it. It's a welcome disruption to the dynamic of the base game (Wherein your game plan is largely decided by your seating order on the first turn), by introducing new pressures in the form of racial bonuses/disadvantages. Having some of the races outright not care about half the board lifted some of the general tension on actions, but intensified it on key actions for the half of the board they did care about. The new buildings were swell, enabling some truly stupid boardstates (Why hello there, 30 Sheep being watched over by 15 doggos in a single square field). It'll be neat to see how different combinations of races and the buildings they add/subtract to the board will change play dynamics. The buildings they take away are almost as important of a change as the actual racials/new-buildings themselves.

Played a high-tempo race in the Trolls, tonight. They start with easy-to-make 4 power weapons, but their weapon strength caps out at 10 and their dudes cost 3 food each to feed, so it encourages a low-worker-count gameplay style, where you can guarantee early access to the raiding actions you need. One of the troll racial buildings basically gets you a free family growth, in the form of a goblin, that always goes last, preserving your weapon-wielding trolls ability to place early, while still being able to scoop up non-expedition squares late with your goblin. That is a tortured sentence. The +1 Reward per Expedition really transforms the base-board 3wood+1Expedition spot into a solid later pick, and is hilarious with the last column "Expedition 1, Expedition 1" space late in the game.

The designers really got into the "overhanging" tiles the Office strategies used in the base game, adding the mechanic to multiple races.

Really solid time, and looking forward to playing again next Friday. Shit's really starting to take Arkham-Horror-esque set-up time to get on the table though, with all the building modifications and shit the races do.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Got to play race for the galaxy frontiers. Decent game if you like the card game or even roll for the galaxy.
819BAA48-C868-4A06-A78B-720240A88D43.jpeg
26E9143B-2795-475A-BABB-F68EA0A458E6.jpeg

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any thoughts on ? I dig one of the artists webcomic and he's been shilling this for a couple weeks.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm in for the $55 tier ($60 now that it's past day1 I think?).

I've blown more on worse, might as well support K6BD/etc. I've been watching the artwork for a while.

This is much more "hobby reading" for me than anything else... I can never find groups to play board games with when my schedule is factored in.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Miniature market having a pretty big sale. Some pretty good stuff in there. If you’re into the warhammer LCG you could score big, lots of expansions for $3.50 a piece, must not sell well lol.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I don't think they've made that warhammer card game for at least 5-6 years.

the 40k version they've also stopped in the last year (ffg lost the warhammer license) i just sold my collection for around $400.

• 1Like

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Got to play race for the galaxy frontiers. Decent game if you like the card game or even roll for the galaxy.View attachment 202599View attachment 202600
A really great version of the game. I love how the Development cards got put into tiles and you don't have to worry about not drawing them as part of your strat like you do in the base game.
It's much more worker placement-like this way but still retains the feeling of competing with the other players for said resources. The only one you have to blame for not getting xy or z is yourself in this version.
Played a good 8-10 games of this so far. Easily the best of the series imho.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Is Too Many Bones really worth $130? That seems excessive.

I hate Race/Roll for the galaxy because it's solitaire. I don't even know why there are other players there at all. For...role selection? The games have the depth of a puddle. In before someone goes "there is interaction, it's just so subtle you can't enjoy it."

I went nuts on the miniature market clearance sale and got deck boxes for $1 and a shitton of other stuff spending my way to $100 to get free shipping.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
TMB is expensive but it’s very good. Has a lot of replay ability and the components are extremely nice. The high end components are what drives the cost. They’re the best quality of anything I have honestly.

Only you can decide if it is worth it or not. I got the stuff during Kickstarters when it’s cheaper but it’s still pricey. I prefer quality over quantity as I don’t have tons of gaming time. The people that have played it with me have always been very impressed with the game itself and the components.

Y yeahthatisneathuh if you are thinking of buying it just hold off. Their next TMB Kickstarter is coming very soon, you should be able to pick up the content you want at a better price.

Last edited: