Board Games

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Played about 6 hours of our first campaign of TMB over the weekend. Wife ended up picking Tantrum, I went with Patches, and we're currently on Day 7 with 1 day before our Tyrant Encounter. It's VERY unforgiving and we have lots of questions about the rules that don't seem to be answered in the book or on any of the board game forums we frequent but we love it. We're hoping to finish it this weekend and as a little side note, we got to play it on our new Table of Ultimate Gaming coffee table. ;)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played about 6 hours of our first campaign of TMB over the weekend. Wife ended up picking Tantrum, I went with Patches, and we're currently on Day 7 with 1 day before our Tyrant Encounter. It's VERY unforgiving and we have lots of questions about the rules that don't seem to be answered in the book or on any of the board game forums we frequent but we love it. We're hoping to finish it this weekend and as a little side note, we got to play it on our new Table of Ultimate Gaming coffee table. ;)

It’s very unforgiving. I was talking to one of the devs at Gencon and he said almost everyone takes 3-4 games before things click and they can start really using tactics correctly. He said it’s good and bad, cause they’ve seen people give up after a couple tries.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
It’s very unforgiving. I was talking to one of the devs at Gencon and he said almost everyone takes 3-4 games before things click and they can start really using tactics correctly. He said it’s good and bad, cause they’ve seen people give up after a couple tries.

I think part of the difficulty is due to having to wrap your head around all of the systems in play. Wife got fed up with me trying to narrate the rulebook so I ended up reading it on my own and then paraphrasing for her later on just to get us started. Lots of back and forth to the book for guidance and by the end of Day 6, we were focused almost entirely on the Reference Guide and not the book.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, it feels like 90% of the important stuff is on the character cards + the reference - after some fundamentals I don't think I'd even bring the main book out for teaching a new player now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I think part of the difficulty is due to having to wrap your head around all of the systems in play. Wife got fed up with me trying to narrate the rulebook so I ended up reading it on my own and then paraphrasing for her later on just to get us started. Lots of back and forth to the book for guidance and by the end of Day 6, we were focused almost entirely on the Reference Guide and not the book.

I followed the play guide solo and did the exact setup they had, ran through a few days, beefed up my dudes and fought the boss to about half health. Then I felt like I could explain how to play to others. The character reference sheets is the hard part, have to learn how to play your character. All have unique mechanics but the labels/explainations do a good job for the most part.

khorum

Murder Apologist
We had some confusion with TMB's rules regarding exhausting white dice and the videos weren't consistent on this. If some effect causes your white attack or def dice to be exhausted for any reason, does that mean it's deducted from your pool of atk/def dice for the rest of the battle?

Say you roll all your 3 atk dice to hit a mob with Break, which exhausts any dice that cause damage to the mob, and you choose to apply the damage results from two of the dice, does that mean you effectively only have 1 atk dice for the rest of the game? We avoided the situation in the assumption that was how it works but the videos are unclear about it.

• 1Salty

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We had some confusion with TMB's rules regarding exhausting white dice and the videos weren't consistent on this. If some effect causes your white attack or def dice to be exhausted for any reason, does that mean it's deducted from your pool of atk/def dice for the rest of the battle?

Say you roll all your 3 atk dice to hit a mob with Break, which exhausts any dice that cause damage to the mob, and you choose to apply the damage results from two of the dice, does that mean you effectively only have 1 atk dice for the rest of the game? We avoided the situation in the assumption that was how it works but the videos are unclear about it.

Exhausted whites just go back to the pool to my understanding of the rules.

It would only really have an effect on special dice that need to be rebought after exhausted, unless I'm understanding things wrong. (Been a bit since I played, redoing our game room)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well that could potentially render Break pointless if it worked out like that though. We ended up using toxin/bombs to kill the mobs with break, but if damaging it white dice wasn't gonna diminish the white atk/def pool next round then we could've been using shield bash/attack the whole time.

• 1Salty

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well that could potentially render Break pointless if it worked out like that though. We ended up using toxin/bombs to kill the mobs with break, but if damaging it white dice wasn't gonna diminish the white atk/def pool next round then we could've been using shield bash/attack the whole time.

Exhausted whites are removed from the battle, makes break very much a pain in the ass. Forces you to spend temp dice and consumables to kill them.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
Added a few to my collection this week, sheriff of nottingham and small world (mostly trying to get the kids into it).

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Exhausted whites are removed from the battle, makes break very much a pain in the ass. Forces you to spend temp dice and consumables to kill them.
Yeah that's how we interpretted it. We finally managed to kill Drellen on the default difficulty but the adds eventually killed us in overtime.

I didn't check the rules if there were exceptions but I just assumed that we still lose unless we kill all the adds too?

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Got a game called Lift It for the kids and they are loving it. I plan on borrowing it and bringing it out for the adults after a few drinks at the New Years Eve party.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played dice throne s2 for like 7 hours straight today, really fun.we played every character at least twice to get the hang of them. I hope they redo s1 in the same graphic style, I’ll definitely get it. Will be getting s3 later next year too. Really fun system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Played dice throne s2 for like 7 hours straight today, really fun.we played every character at least twice to get the hang of them. I hope they redo s1 in the same graphic style, I’ll definitely get it. Will be getting s3 later next year too. Really fun system.

Agreed! The first season was already fantastic and the upgrades they put in place for season 2 just made it a masterpiece. Wife already asked if they made S1 in the same style so we'll be on the lookout for that. Have you heard anything yet on S3?

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

Have you mixed any s1 against s2 characters and if so was it balanced? Was thinking of attempting a giant 6 v 6 match after the fights tomorrow for shits and grins by using both seasons. Debating on that or going back to the game store to pick up the 5 player Co op Robotech game I saw and split the group up into a board game and smash bro group. Talking to the owner he said this was one of three Robotech games out this year and his most popular one. Was shocked to hear Paladium is still around and not shocked to hear they fucked up their PnP version of it (I think this might be their second or third attempt at one). If you ever want to see exponential power creep check out a Rifts core book from the late 80s to any suplemental book published in the mid to late 90s. Such an amazing world and setting but almost impossible to GM fairly due to broken builds and the whole standard vs mega damage.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have you mixed any s1 against s2 characters and if so was it balanced? Was thinking of attempting a giant 6 v 6 match after the fights tomorrow for shits and grins by using both seasons. Debating on that or going back to the game store to pick up the 5 player Co op Robotech game I saw and split the group up into a board game and smash bro group. Talking to the owner he said this was one of three Robotech games out this year and his most popular one. Was shocked to hear Paladium is still around and not shocked to hear they fucked up their PnP version of it (I think this might be their second or third attempt at one). If you ever want to see exponential power creep check out a Rifts core book from the late 80s to any suplemental book published in the mid to late 90s. Such an amazing world and setting but almost impossible to GM fairly due to broken builds and the whole standard vs mega damage.

I haven’t played any s1, but have read they work just fine with s2 and it was all playtested together. I’m mostly just waiting to see if they rework s1 when they do s3, so all the trays and art matches. Regarding balance, we found it to be pretty good. The only time we had lopsided matches was when one person whiffed and didn’t get any ability to activate due to going for something too difficult to get and winding up with nothing.

One artificer vs. pirate game we were almost identical HP the entire game, and the final turn I attacked and hit enough to kill him, and he hit me back enough to kill me so we both died. We were both like, “well can’t get more balanced than that match, nice work playtesters”.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
we played a few games of Charterstone after the legacy campaign and it was pretty smooth, I really liked that game a lot. Bought the family the Recharge kit for Xmas so at some point later on we can play a 2nd legacy campaign. Was going to get back into Gloomhaven but I bought Zombicide Black Plague for Xmas for the family since it was on sale on Amazon a few weeks ago, and also got Scythe from the family for Xmas too, so Gloomhaven is still partially out on a side table, but I am sad we haven't gotten to mess with it in a few months

We have played a few games of Zombicide BP and are getting the hang of the rules, we were doing a few things incorrectly at first but the last run was pretty smooth and good for just killing shit. The boy seems to like it quite a bit.

I'm looking forward to getting into Scythe, we also got The Wind Gambit and Invaders from Afar expansions but I'm not going to open them until we get a few plays on the base game in. I am hopeful that the boy likes Scythe as well, so we can flip flop between that, Zombicide BP and Gloomhaven for several good sessions per week.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah the box is huge, and heavy. Getting free shipping one it is pretty big savings in itself. I paid 129 with free shipping a year ago and was really happy with it. 108 and free shipping would be about as good as possible.