Board Games

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The first invasion of nerd/gamer culture by the woke crowd was in board games. This kind of shit has been going on forever in board game cons and so on. As someone who ran WH tourneys, I would always get shit from that crowd anytime someone decided to play a Slaanesh or otherwise female themed army. No one took them seriously before because they are also the cheapest bastards at the cons. The advent of big ticket kick starter games changed that dynamic. The parasites always go where the money is.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So, i've had a solid 3/4 man gaming group for the last couple of years now (one is my kid, and she works half of the Saturdays we game on, so half is at 4, half without). We started off with Gloomhaven, crushed thru that content, did Forgotten Circles, Jaws of the Lion, and now are working thru Crimson Scales (which is really good, btw, try them out on TTS if you wanna see). In the off weeks where we don't have 4, I picked up Dice Throne on the recommendations in this thread, and kickstarted Marvel Dice Throne, which is good as well, without seeming repetitive. We played thru Arkham Horror, and now picked up Dice Throne Adventures. I've gotta say, gaming has come a long way. DTA using the same mechanics as DT but being a COMPLETELY different strategy is pretty insanely cool. We got absolutely throttled in the first playthrough and thought maybe the game sucked...nope, just us. Cruising thru the 2nd playthrough now and understand the nuance of the mechanics. Kinda cool to see a roguelike in tabletop version.

I picked up Posthuman because I thought it looked cool. It is not. Really disappointed with that game. It's like it wants to be Catan with a cool adventure theme, but it fails in execution. I also bought Kingdom Rush and all of it's expansions based simply upon how awesome the mobile games are, and it turns out we're really disappointed in that one as well. Everyone just compares it to tetris, but that's not really the case. It's a really fiddly game and it doesn't seem like you have enough resources to ever do the things you need to do, which just turns me off from it.

For the rest of the year, we probably are good with Crimson Scales, it's expansion should be here in ~3-4 months, and Frosthaven is due by the end of the year, so says that woke cocksucker. So we've got a good solid amount of gaming ahead of us, but what other games have you guys enjoyed in that 3-4 player tactical games do I need to start researching to fill inevitable gaps in my gaming cycle? It's kinda awesome to see how far board games have come since I was doing Chess tournaments in 4th grade and playing Risk weekly in my 20's. I've clearly missed a ton, and I don't mind going back to older games if the gameplay is solid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, i've had a solid 3/4 man gaming group for the last couple of years now (one is my kid, and she works half of the Saturdays we game on, so half is at 4, half without). We started off with Gloomhaven, crushed thru that content, did Forgotten Circles, Jaws of the Lion, and now are working thru Crimson Scales (which is really good, btw, try them out on TTS if you wanna see). In the off weeks where we don't have 4, I picked up Dice Throne on the recommendations in this thread, and kickstarted Marvel Dice Throne, which is good as well, without seeming repetitive. We played thru Arkham Horror, and now picked up Dice Throne Adventures. I've gotta say, gaming has come a long way. DTA using the same mechanics as DT but being a COMPLETELY different strategy is pretty insanely cool. We got absolutely throttled in the first playthrough and thought maybe the game sucked...nope, just us. Cruising thru the 2nd playthrough now and understand the nuance of the mechanics. Kinda cool to see a roguelike in tabletop version.

I picked up Posthuman because I thought it looked cool. It is not. Really disappointed with that game. It's like it wants to be Catan with a cool adventure theme, but it fails in execution. I also bought Kingdom Rush and all of it's expansions based simply upon how awesome the mobile games are, and it turns out we're really disappointed in that one as well. Everyone just compares it to tetris, but that's not really the case. It's a really fiddly game and it doesn't seem like you have enough resources to ever do the things you need to do, which just turns me off from it.

For the rest of the year, we probably are good with Crimson Scales, it's expansion should be here in ~3-4 months, and Frosthaven is due by the end of the year, so says that woke cocksucker. So we've got a good solid amount of gaming ahead of us, but what other games have you guys enjoyed in that 3-4 player tactical games do I need to start researching to fill inevitable gaps in my gaming cycle? It's kinda awesome to see how far board games have come since I was doing Chess tournaments in 4th grade and playing Risk weekly in my 20's. I've clearly missed a ton, and I don't mind going back to older games if the gameplay is solid.
Aeons End

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
So jelous of having that sort of solid group and time to get through these big content games.

You could give KDM a try, though I felt like it was a weaker version of gloomhaven, but only played a couple of time.
The above and below series, think there's 3 of them now.
Pandemic Legacies.
Marvel Champions if you like collectable card games (mechanics wise, not the collectable part) / marvel / coops

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My Oathsworn pledge came in this week. Going to dig in this weekend I think, it looks pretty cool.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I would second aeons end. Top 5 game for me, I play 2 player a lot with that one, I wish I had a solid 4 person group.

im hearing great things about Oathsworn, can’t wait to get my copy, hopefully by the end of the month.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I was so tempted by Oathsworn but I just don't want tie up that much storage space. It's probably a great choice if you can get it for your group. It's supposed to actually be hard which for me is a bonus.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My Oathsworn pledge came in this week. Going to dig in this weekend I think, it looks pretty cool.

Played the Story phase of Chapter One just as a teaser, I’m very impressed with the choose your own adventure mechanics. It was quite cool, and the companion app narrator is very good. I’ll report back tomorrow after I do the Encounter Phase!

Fighting the Broodmother, a giant rat carrying tons of baby rats on her back. She apparently drops off more rats if she activates that ability on her turn, so it’s a boss plus adds fight!

I really dig the mystery mechanics, we were basically chasing down clues to what we would be fighting. Near the end we got access to the encounter special rules card, that informed us of the power level, and boss abilities. This game has some seriously cool potential.

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Played the Story phase of Chapter One just as a teaser, I’m very impressed with the choose your own adventure mechanics. It was quite cool, and the companion app narrator is very good. I’ll report back tomorrow after I do the Encounter Phase!

Fighting the Broodmother, a giant rat carrying tons of baby rats on her back. She apparently drops off more rats if she activates that ability on her turn, so it’s a boss plus adds fight!

I really dig the mystery mechanics, we were basically chasing down clues to what we would be fighting. Near the end we got access to the encounter special rules card, that informed us of the power level, and boss abilities. This game has some seriously cool potential.

Holy fuck, the narrator is fucking Lord Commander Mormont (James Cosmo).

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Finished the Chapter 1 encounter. Combat mechanics are really solid. The Battleflow card mechanics are very interesting as a way of managing a secondary resource (not just action points). The fact you can use both dice AND the might deck for the random aspect is cool too, and it's completely intended that you utilize the statistics of the might deck to your advantage.
We beat the boss in 7 or 8 rounds, and near the end it was very chaotic. The reaction system when you "break" a large monster location is cool (and likely necessary), and made our strategy extremely dangerous at the end of the fight, since we had spread our damage out to avoid breaking locations early on. We ended up breaking three locations in one attack, which was absolutely insane. When we killed her, one person was KO'd, and two others were at 1 HP, with 10 giant rats still surrounding us. Luckily, they run off when the momma dies.

Based on reading all of the rulebooks, and what I've seen of Chapter 1 Story/Encounter phases, I highly recommend this game if you enjoy story narrative and tactics. It's similar to Gloomhaven, but way better written (and narrated), and instead of a dungeon crawler there's much more time spent in the Story/Town phase and this is a good thing; they've managed to make the Story phase very engaging with the Choose Your Own Adventure mechanics. I'd love to see their design logic trees they used to map this shit out. The mystery aspect of not knowing what you're going to encounter, and trying to uncover information during the Story phase is top notch as well.

-edit- I'll add that I'd recommend the miniature version over the standee version. The minis are very good quality, and for large enemies I can't imagine having a standee instead of the huge "miniature." The $180 price tag is worth it if you appreciate games like this at all.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
What part of the country do you live in? I don't think anybody from the West Coast has gotten theirs yet. I still haven't gotten a notification.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What part of the country do you live in? I don't think anybody from the West Coast has gotten theirs yet. I still haven't gotten a notification.

I'm in Oklahoma. I was thinking something had happened to mine actually, since I had seen the developer update that shipping was well underway and many/most in US had gotten their copies.

I will say I did not get a notification. I just got a text from my gf one day with a pic "this 40lbs box just arrived."

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
GDI, I passed on Oathsworn. Stop making me regret having self-constraint!
So, turns out I did back it (almost 3 years ago) and it's arriving tomorrow.

Thank you, past me, for not having any self control.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm in AZ waiting for a copy to surprise me. No shipping notifications or anything, I have no ability to play it right now anyway, so it gets here when it gets here I suppose.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
War of Whispers - Players secretly earn points for the actions of five factions. During their turn they order one of the factions. Are they ordering their best or second best, third? Works well enough with some blocking and switcheroo mechanics. - Better as an introductory game. Light Medium. 6/10

Nemesis - Among Us meets Aliens? Coop mode. RNG can be utter bullshit. 5/10

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nemesis is fun, but its very crunchy and very brutal.

Back to the Future is simple fun and fast for a coop game.

The Alien Nostromo game is a pretty solid coop game as well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nemesis is fun, but its very crunchy and very brutal.

Back to the Future is simple fun and fast for a coop game.

The Alien Nostromo game is a pretty solid coop game as well.
What does crunchy mean?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Very complex. Lots of mechanics and moving parts. Not good or bad, but a matter of taste if you like it or not. Think of a game like Monopoly as a sort of low to medium crunch game (axis and allies similar), while something like Gloomhaven or Twilight Imperium is very crunchy. Pipeline and World in Flames are probably the crunchiest games I have played.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
What does crunchy mean?
its one of those fun board game words that I dont think has a perfect definition, but people tend to use it when your turn in a game has all of a lot of choices, rules interactions and number crunching. Nemesis doesnt have a lot of math to it, per se, but probabilities and risk analysis are the core of the game, since nearly everything you do either sacrifices game actions for safety or results in rolling a D10 that can fuck your day up.