Board Games

faille

Molten Core Raider
Got to learn Mombasa on the weekend. Really enjoyed it, though the newbie setup is skewed towards one of the companies a bit too much. That might have just been our play though. Also, the book keeping track feels a little under done. I understand there's winning strategies that focus on it but feels like it was tacked on more so than the other paths to victory.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
New edition of Thru the Ages is out. Though the game is a tad dry, if you like civilization builders it looks pretty awesome. Gives a good tabletop vibe of the old Sid Meyers Civ games.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Through the Ages is the greatest board game ever that you never want to play in person. I have several groups of friends I play with onBoardgaming online. I have 4 games going at once usually. The game is such a brain burner that it sucks to play in person. It's pretty worthless because you sit there for 10 minutes per person in Age III while people do math in their head. It's so much better in "play by email".

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Got to learn Mombasa on the weekend. Really enjoyed it, though the newbie setup is skewed towards one of the companies a bit too much. That might have just been our play though. Also, the book keeping track feels a little under done. I understand there's winning strategies that focus on it but feels like it was tacked on more so than the other paths to victory.
Mombasa is my favorite game of the year so far. Different paths to victory (a friend won with a pure book keeping tactic too). Plenty of replay and nuance, and the game plays really quick for its complexity level.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Even for a deck of cards $14 seems like it's priced too low. In for one though!

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ok, question for ya'll. Girlfriend and I just moved to Tucson, don't really know anyone here, so looking for some good 2 player games. Option to have more players is fine, but needs to be fully 2 player capable and fun.

Genres can be most anything - we like fantasy, horror, sci-fi. Dice, cards, board, word games; we're pretty open there.

Prefer quicker / less complex games - if a complete game can be done in an hour, that would be great.

I saw "Cards of Cthulhu" and "Arkham Horror" at a local game shop, and read some great reviews on both, although Arkham Horror seemed a bit more complex than we wanted to jump right into (maybe it's not, if anyone here has thoughts on it), but it is highly recommended by the webs.

Thanks for any insights!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Arkham Horror will take hours and hours to play. Eldritch Horror is sorta Arkham Horror v2, but it can take awhile too, typically ~2 hours for a game unless you just lose horribly fast. EH is damn fun though.

EH is cooperative, whereas I believe that Cards of Cthulu game is competitive?

ex-genj

Golden Squire
2 player jaipur and archeology both solid. On the old school end gin, cribbage, and chinese poker are good too.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Ok, question for ya'll. Girlfriend and I just moved to Tucson, don't really know anyone here, so looking for some good 2 player games. Option to have more players is fine, but needs to be fully 2 player capable and fun.

Genres can be most anything - we like fantasy, horror, sci-fi. Dice, cards, board, word games; we're pretty open there.

Prefer quicker / less complex games - if a complete game can be done in an hour, that would be great.

I saw "Cards of Cthulhu" and "Arkham Horror" at a local game shop, and read some great reviews on both, although Arkham Horror seemed a bit more complex than we wanted to jump right into (maybe it's not, if anyone here has thoughts on it), but it is highly recommended by the webs.

Thanks for any insights!
Tides of Time - 2 player drafting game. Plays super fast. Benefits from multiple replays. Might be my favorite game released last year.
Star Realms - Deckbuilder for 2 players. Really balanced. You can download the app/steam version to try it out for free.
Magic: Duels of the PLaneswalkers - Fun game. A bit more strategy based then your normal board game but not a "heavy" game.
Xenoshift Onslaught - Co-op deckbuilder. One of the more difficult ones around. Plays really well with 2.
Showdown Icons - A bit expensive for what you get but is usually on sale at places like Miniature Market. Really good bluffing/trick taking game.
Dicemasters - Collectible dice game. Since you will have the same "pool" you can buy as much or little as you want to. It's my favorite "Battle dice" game.
Lord of the Rings LCG - Customizable co-op card game. Super fun. There are literally thousands of cards you cna buy. Each mission is challenging and fun.
Nueroshima Hex - Tile placement, Strategy, Area Control. Another fun fast game.
Twilight Struggle - The ultimate two player game. This game is really heavy so be prepared if you want to play it but is super rewarding.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I suggest Quarriors. Simple enough to be fast and easy to learn but complex enough there is some strategy involved, even though the luck of dice is still a dominant factor.

Dominion is fun and simple but it got old for us fairly quickly. We still pick it up once in a while though.

Ashes: rise of the phoenixborn is a great dueling card / dice game that plays quickly and is fairly well balanced.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Tides of Time - 2 player drafting game. Plays super fast. Benefits from multiple replays. Might be my favorite game released last year.
Star Realms - Deckbuilder for 2 players. Really balanced. You can download the app/steam version to try it out for free.
Magic: Duels of the PLaneswalkers - Fun game. A bit more strategy based then your normal board game but not a "heavy" game.
Xenoshift Onslaught - Co-op deckbuilder. One of the more difficult ones around. Plays really well with 2.
Showdown Icons - A bit expensive for what you get but is usually on sale at places like Miniature Market. Really good bluffing/trick taking game.
Dicemasters - Collectible dice game. Since you will have the same "pool" you can buy as much or little as you want to. It's my favorite "Battle dice" game.
Lord of the Rings LCG - Customizable co-op card game. Super fun. There are literally thousands of cards you cna buy. Each mission is challenging and fun.
Nueroshima Hex - Tile placement, Strategy, Area Control. Another fun fast game.
Twilight Struggle - The ultimate two player game. This game is really heavy so be prepared if you want to play it but is super rewarding.
Looked into Lord of the Rings LCG - Customizable co-op card game. Looks like a good time.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It is quite fun, if you're into that sort of thing. I had a hard time finding others who were into that specific type of game, but the few times I've been able to play it, we had fun!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played it myself, but I hear 7 wonders: duels is a great 2 player version of that game. (7 wonders is a game I really enjoy, but it's 2 player mode is very tacked on and duels was designed ground up to be 2 player 7 wonders)