Board Games

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Blood Rage is a solid game.

As for Dark Souls, it's a pass for me. Matt, Rich, Jaime and the guys are all super sweet but the miniatures for Guild Ball are a bloody mess. This is their first time moving to plastics and that never works well for a company. Guild Ball has some odd design issues that they have still not over come and they seem to have not learned from it. I'll save my 125 bucks and give it to a company who I know will put out a good game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What was the problem? I don't know any details behind that other than it came out a couple of years ago.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
The gameplay was just bad. The people that bought it for the minis were happy, but it wasn't balanced well and their rulebook was missing a lot of corner cases. It just wasn't fun when I finally got some friends that wanted to play it.
I've been meaning to raid the boxes and make some Blood Bowl teams out of the miniatures, but I haven't yet. Sold off a few of the teams to a friend that wanted to use them for that purpose. Tried selling the actual game and nobody was interested. Easily my biggest Kickstarter regret.

I love the idea of a dungeon crawler, but I just don't trust them to get the game balanced and fun. I haven't played any of their other games, though, so maybe KaosBall was the exception. I just have the opinion that their games are more about the miniatures than the games.

I love the idea of a dungeon crawler, but I just don't trust them to get the game balanced and fun. I haven't played any of their other games, though, so maybe KaosBall was the exception. I just have the opinion that their games are more about the miniatures than the games.
Kaosball may have been a stinker, but they've put out a lot of games now that people absolutely love (personal tastes of course), but Arcadia Quest, Blood Rage, The Grizzled, Rum and Bones, Xenoshyft and Zombicide all get pretty high praise from what I've read. I've only played Blood Rage and Xenoshyft out of those (which I think are great). I just bought a used copy of Rum & Bones and looking forward to playing it before the new version is out. Arcadia Quest is also a dungeon crawl but has a high emphasis on PvP which has never been my thing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah from what I've read about Massive Darkness , I don't think that kaosball problem will be a factor here. They are basing this game around Zombicides mechanics which is very popular. They've put out a lot of good games since then, I think they've learned their lesson.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Cool Mini only makes a handful of their own games. This game is not made by them if I remember correctly. It's made by the same guys who made Zombicide. While I enjoy Zombicide, I feel like it's 45 expansions are just too much. From what I understand this game is like Black Plague or very similar (I've never played Black Plague).

I'm kind of surprised you didn't like Kaosball. I enjoyed it for what it was. I got it for free so perhaps that colors my glasses a little rosy. The game play was fine. The draft format was cool for an afternoon of 4 guys playing a game. We've had 4 sessions of it over the past couple years and enjoyed every one of them.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
After BloodRage, I am willing to at least look at anything Cool Mini puts up. Now, if they offered the figs prepainted at the same level of quality as the figs... Take my $!

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I'm kind of surprised you didn't like Kaosball. I enjoyed it for what it was. I got it for free so perhaps that colors my glasses a little rosy. The game play was fine. The draft format was cool for an afternoon of 4 guys playing a game. We've had 4 sessions of it over the past couple years and enjoyed every one of them.
You're actually the first person I've heard praise it. When I played it, it was with 4 people which made the board very cluttered. We didn't do the whole league/draft thing, either since we were trying to just learn it. I may see if some Blood Bowl friends want to get together and try the whole draft thing since that was part of what initially attracted me to it. It's probably better as a 2-player game, but none of that initial group wanted to try it again after the 4-player game crashed-and-burned.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I've only played it two player which may be why I haven't found rules issues or anything like that.

edit: I also might have a hard on for anything Eric Lang so that could explain it as well

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone noticed CSI (Cool Stuff Inc) raising their prices recently? Used to be, pretty much everything on there was at a significant discount from MSRP, but that's not seeming to be the case lately.

Column_sl

shitlord
Did anyone own this when they were younger? I remember my mom brought this home for me, and my brother from some garage sale and good times were had.

I've since then lost it to moving. I would probly buy it again, but I'm never going to play it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone noticed CSI (Cool Stuff Inc) raising their prices recently? Used to be, pretty much everything on there was at a significant discount from MSRP, but that's not seeming to be the case lately.
Fantasy Flight specifically had a "price raise" they forced on folks like Coolstuff that were selling stuff really well priced. As far as I'm aware it's just FFG and Asmodee games that are effected though. (I do mostly FFG though, so it hit me pretty substantially - they're still best game in town though for prices for me even with that though)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Played star wars rebellion for the first time last night, as a 4-player multiplayer. Was pretty awful; will try again as 2 player, since the multiplayer mode was just awkward and painful. Dark side managed to pull off a capture+turn to the dark side on turn 2 because no one had any clue what cards existed, so the game was pretty snowbally with the action-economy swing toward the darkside.

The lightside sabotage mission seems less than stellar when the dark side has a recurring "undo sabotage AND grab a plan" action.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Fantasy Flight specifically had a "price raise" they forced on folks like Coolstuff that were selling stuff really well priced. As far as I'm aware it's just FFG and Asmodee games that are effected though. (I do mostly FFG though, so it hit me pretty substantially - they're still best game in town though for prices for me even with that though)
Yeah that'd explain it then, the stuff i've purchased over the past 6 months or so has been exclusively FFG. Alas.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did anyone own this when they were younger? I remember my mom brought this home for me, and my brother from some garage sale and good times were had.

I've since then lost it to moving. I would probly buy it again, but I'm never going to play it.

Yep. My dad and I played it a lot when I was a kid, I loved it. I still have it plus the expansions and some extra figures a friend gave me back in high school.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah that'd explain it then, the stuff i've purchased over the past 6 months or so has been exclusively FFG. Alas.
Heh, fortunately I live around 40 min away, so whenever I feel like actually making a trip out I can buy at website prices + credit I pick up + loyalty discount without adding on any shipping - hard to not have them be preferred with all those factors.