Board Games

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Let me know how you like Dart. I like having the wide variety of characters and will probably pick her up if she’s cool/plays differently like the rest all day.
Will do, if it arrives early Friday I can get into it. Otherwise might be a week or so.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Got my FedEx notice for S&D as well, it has an estimated delivery date of 5/28, so hopefully will be in my hands next week.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Let me know how you like Dart. I like having the wide variety of characters and will probably pick her up if she’s cool/plays differently like the rest all do.

Dart is...unique. Played one run with her, not sure if I like her or not. The mat flipping is a bit disruptive but her mechanics are pretty cool. Wife played the Lab Rats and she didn't like the juggling of the them once she got a 3rd. "game is already a lot to track and Lab Rats even more" Will check out the meat of Splice and Dice soon, looks really cool. Can't wait for the Trove!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Looking for some recommendations for my wife and I to play. She gets a little turned off by super complex games, I tried teaching her mage knight and she wasn't having it (admittedly, it's a little too much for me as I have to watch a bunch of videos to get back up to speed every time I want to play). We enjoy Lords of Waterdeep and Small World, but she can't beat me at waterdeep and has only won a few times at Small World. So I'd like to get something to play that's not super complex that has a little more "chance" rolled into it but still requires some strategy that I can enjoy. Does this exist or do I need to search the attic for Trouble or Mouse Trap?? Pandemic was suggested when I asked for advice here a few years ago, we tried it and it was okay... but I'm not a big fan of coop.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Looking for some recommendations for my wife and I to play. She gets a little turned off by super complex games, I tried teaching her mage knight and she wasn't having it (admittedly, it's a little too much for me as I have to watch a bunch of videos to get back up to speed every time I want to play). We enjoy Lords of Waterdeep and Small World, but she can't beat me at waterdeep and has only won a few times at Small World. So I'd like to get something to play that's not super complex that has a little more "chance" rolled into it but still requires some strategy that I can enjoy. Does this exist or do I need to search the attic for Trouble or Mouse Trap?? Pandemic was suggested when I asked for advice here a few years ago, we tried it and it was okay... but I'm not a big fan of coop.

My wife is in a similar situation. Tried explaining Too Many Bones and she just wasn't having it. She did jump into Gloomhaven for a few runs but hasn't returned. However, all hope is NOT lost because she absolutely has fallen in love with Clank, Clank in Space, and Dice Throne (S1/S2). If you can stomach co-op Eldritch Horror is really good too.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tides of Time is a slick two player drafting game that's not too complex. Roll Through the Ages is another one that can be super fun and it's just a repackaged Yahtzee with some flair.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Dice Throne. It is easy to learn (Like Yahtzee) but there are enough options and strategy that it’s interesting. Plays quickly, looks pretty, extremely well balanced.

Try this starter pack. These are the two most straightforward characters. If she likes it there are more starter packs like that with more complex characters.

Gunslinger vs Samurai - Dice Throne: Season Two Board Game

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Awesome, thanks a bunch for the suggestions. Looking into all these recommendations. Leaning towards Clank and Dice Throne because they look to be up her alley. Going to order one or both here shortly! The best part, not too pricey because there's a good chance even if I think she'll like them, it's not guaranteed.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I think Dice Throne and Clank are both great suggestions. My gf also isn't into board games nearly as much as I am, but she has gotten to enjoy them more and those are 2 of her favorites. I know you said you didn't like coops, but her favorite game is Aeon's End, something to consider.

If you want something simple and inexpensive, Santorini is a good one. Quick to learn and play. If your wife likes drawing, look into roll-and-writes like Cartographer and Welcome To. If she is an animal enthusiast, then she might enjoy the aesthetics and gameplay of Wingspan.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Another fast and simple card drafting game is Star Realms. My wife loves that one, and I enjoy it. I feel like its pretty 50-50 on strategy and luck.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Will 2nd Star Realms. Easy to learn, plays quick, very cheap entry point.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Star Realms is one of the only ipad games I’ve played that I actually enjoy. The gameplay translates to it so well, and they did a great job with the controls and such. Best card to mobile game conversion I’ve ever seen.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Viticulture is a great game, work well at 2 players as well as more, though there's less luck involved.
One of the Azul's might be good, quick enough that you won't have to spend long teaching / playing it. ditto Sagrada.
Terraforming Mars works well two play, quite a lot faster than with more players while also letting players do more.
Yedo is a great one too, similar to Lords of Waterdeep but superior in my opinion

Try and work out if she's attracted to the themes of a game, or the mechanics, since that can help narrow the choices down.

Also, check out if you have a facebook group in your area for selling / trading games. great way to pick up games cheaper, than move them on if they're not working for you or you get over them. Can turn out to be almost cost neutral.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

King Domino is really good. Like, deceptively good. At first it seems like a simple kids game, and then you start digging into it and realize there's a lot of layers.

It's super simple, can learn it in 5 minutes, but since every game is different it never really gets stale. And no matter whether you win or lose, building your little kingdom is satisfying every time. I'm never sad to play it with the kid or GF.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
You might not be big on co-op but Aeons End Legacy is a great game for 2 (or more, scales well). Its not super easy where you will win every time. You have to use teamwork and smarts but if/when you win its great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I doubt anyone has this game but thought people here might appreciate some organizers I designed and printed.

ED57F591-726A-47A6-9BFB-BC70EB6F11DC.jpeg
D795EBF0-0970-410C-90F5-6A921610587D.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users