Board Games

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like being an incomplete set (no treant spirits) makes it a no-go. I'd have considered it if it had everything.
I was annoyed by that too. My main reason for wanting these was because the cardboard chits kind of get lost laying on the cardboard mats and we forget we have them. After finally playing with these, it solved that problem. The Treant spirits sit off of the main mat so it doesn’t really seem like it’s incomplete. I’m happy with the purchase and will get s2 whenever it releases.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I was annoyed by that too. My main reason for wanting these was because the cardboard chits kind of get lost laying on the cardboard mats and we forget we have them. After finally playing with these, it solved that problem. The Treant spirits sit off of the main mat so it doesn’t really seem like it’s incomplete. I’m happy with the purchase and will get s2 whenever it releases.

Do they fit in the GameTrayz that come with the season boxes? If they do, do you have to get rid of the cardboard tokens to make room? If they don't, where do you put them?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do they fit in the GameTrayz that come with the season boxes? If they do, do you have to get rid of the cardboard tokens to make room? If they don't, where do you put them?
Yeah they fit, they’re just slightly thicker than the cardboard pieces. I put the cardboard pieces in the tiny ziplocs the plastic ones came in, then stored them in a deckbox. You may be able to fit them all back into the containers if you stuck them under the cards or health dials but I didn’t try. The less loose stuff in there the better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I finally received my copy of Summoner Wars 2nd ed from Plaid Hat games. I also signed up for online play. Both are fantastic.

It's just a straight 2 player game with each person taking a different faction and the prebuilt deck for that faction. The setup is kind of like chess except each faction has it's own starting setup.

From there it plays pretty quickly with the winner killing the leader of the opposing faction. Cards aren't reshuffled in so you can run out of a draw pile. It's strategic, pretty fast, and there is some luck (dice rolling) which I don't mind, each faction deck plays differently. I can safely say this is going to be a staple game in my collection for a while.

The only big downside. It ain't cheap for smallish decks of cards. It starts with 6 factions in the base box ($50), they are adding 2 factions (in an expansion) every couple months for $30. Honestly the best value is probably just to do online play.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I finally received my copy of Summoner Wars 2nd ed from Plaid Hat games. I also signed up for online play. Both are fantastic.

It's just a straight 2 player game with each person taking a different faction and the prebuilt deck for that faction. The setup is kind of like chess except each faction has it's own starting setup.

From there it plays pretty quickly with the winner killing the leader of the opposing faction. Cards aren't reshuffled in so you can run out of a draw pile. It's strategic, pretty fast, and there is some luck (dice rolling) which I don't mind, each faction deck plays differently. I can safely say this is going to be a staple game in my collection for a while.

The only big downside. It ain't cheap for smallish decks of cards. It starts with 6 factions in the base box ($50), they are adding 2 factions (in an expansion) every couple months for $30. Honestly the best value is probably just to do online play.
It’s a fun game but I haven’t played it as often as I’d like. The expansions usually get really cheap if you wait. I got them all for $4-7 a piece. Finished out what I was missing from the vendor themselves for $5 a pop at Gencon.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Played Galaxy Trucker for the first time after owning it for about a year. Played with 4 people and everyone agreed it’s one of the most fun we’ve ever played. Not overly complex but deep enough — we all followed about 30 minutes of a great youtube video on how to play and from there it was easy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
In case anyone didn't see it, if you liked the Battlestar Galactica board game, Fantasy Flight is releasing an Arkham re-skin of it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It's a very interesting setting to choose as a reskin of Battlestar Galactica. It might actually be a bit easier to get people to play, however, as the Lovecraft stuff seems somehow less hardcore nerd than BSG

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you are looks ng for a nifty little dungeon crawl that fits in your pocket, this is a fun little game. It's not Descent but for the price it's well worth it!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

If you are looks ng for a nifty little dungeon crawl that fits in your pocket, this is a fun little game. It's not Descent but for the price it's well worth it!
Has this been updated any since it released? When it first came out the app was kind of janky/cheap feeling. Also in some dungeons with choke points the other player could not do anything because one player was blocking the way. Only played it a couple times cause it didn’t feel very well done.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It still feels like a 25 dollar game for sure. I never found any real choke points that we didn't just blast through but I could see where that could happen.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
pic2854233.jpg

"I don't worship Elder Gods; I got family." top reddit comment

• 1Worf

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been playing Beyond the Sun lately, or was we call it Tech Tree the game. Surprisingly fun despite the bland presentation.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Been playing Beyond the Sun lately, or was we call it Tech Tree the game. Surprisingly fun despite the bland presentation.
I've been playing the hell out of that on BGA. You reach the point where luck of the draw can really swing a game but it does have a surprising amount of depth to it

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
FYI my step brother is releasing a board game very shortly. It's already had its kickstarter, and I think he's already starting production of it. I just wanted to post it here in case it was of interest to anyone.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
FYI my step brother is releasing a board game very shortly. It's already had its kickstarter, and I think he's already starting production of it. I just wanted to post it here in case it was of interest to anyone.

It looks like it was a very well run campaign and a good product. It's pretty expensive considering shipping costs. Good reviews as well.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It looks like it was a very well run campaign and a good product. It's pretty expensive considering shipping costs. Good reviews as well.

Actually, I should probably do more than just add a single link to his kickstarter lol.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've been playing the hell out of that on BGA. You reach the point where luck of the draw can really swing a game but it does have a surprising amount of depth to it
Yeah we just played a couple four player games this weekend and man the game is good. And for us, its always really close (had one game with all of us within four points score wise), but you never feel totally fucked by luck or even spaces being blocked half the time. Next to Hans Teutonica, its the best Euro style game I have ever played and our whole group loves it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
First game night in the newly finished basement 👍

4C83195E-0C50-4FFD-9F45-B4635ADBCE9C.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users