Board Games

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lords of Vegas, one of those games where every player scores/gains resources at the beginning of each turn. -If everybody counts perfectly, they can all do it themselves but newer players were getting lost and banker got overwhelmed with everybody digging into pot getting their own change having us pause everything and recheck every single resource play to fix board - after that I led the narration forcing turn order in clockwise, counter communicating with contradictory and hasty players.
Well, once I miscounted and before I could voice correction the table blew up with yelling and finger pointing - I was like fine, you're all on your own. Three turns later, "How much do I earn?" Nope on your own.
End result? Crushed them. Like two turns ahead crush
Felt great

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So Aeon Trespass: Odyssey is pretty fucking incredible. Very well made game with an insane amount of content and story, I'm impressed. It's kind of like if Kingdom Death and Gloomhaven had a baby in ancient Greece.

• 1I Came
Reactions: 1 user

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
So Aeon Trespass: Odyssey is pretty fucking incredible. Very well made game with an insane amount of content and story, I'm impressed. It's kind of like if Kingdom Death and Gloomhaven had a baby in ancient Greece.
How does it fare compared to Gloom? Does it match the level of complexity and immersion?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How does it fare compared to Gloom? Does it match the level of complexity and immersion?
Board game geek shows it quite a bit more complex than gloomhaven and kingdom death. Higher than Twilight Imperium too. Aeons Trespass has the highest complexity rating I’ve ever seen on BGG.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Board game geek shows it quite a bit more complex than gloomhaven and kingdom death. Higher than Twilight Imperium too. Aeons Trespass has the highest complexity rating I’ve ever seen on BGG.

yeah it’s got plenty of stuff going on. I wouldn’t say it’s too much, but it’ll require some attention to detail. In general the systems are built intuitively.

Gloomhaven is actually kind of inferior IMO. Especially their AI rules, but they just have a lot of rules that are really finicky and that don’t match what is typical of games of that type.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s a really solid game. Lots of mechanics, lots of choices. Start off feeling like you’re completely fucked at all times, end as a powerful badass if you make it.

I bought it so my dad had a really good solo game. He plays through it every so often. I’ve played it with him twice and really like it. I hope to find time to solo it some time.

Usually when I read reviews of it, it’s something guys will solo through once or twice a year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome thanks! Solo is what I'm after.
It’s the probably the pinnacle of complex solo gaming. Takes a bit to get the hang of. Don’t be scared to watch how to play videos on it, it’s pretty complex.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I don't fear complex and I love having board game youtubers on in the background while I'm messing around so this is all good stuff.

• 1Like

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone play Middara? I am looking for a dungeon crawler that isn’t too complex as far as combat but has a good story etc. My two brother in laws are high functioning autistic and want to play a dungeon crawler type game and this popped up on the radar. Or does anyone have any other good suggestions?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Middara is a good dungeon crawler, best part is high versatility when it comes to designing your character with loot and abilities. However, it is a VERY wordy game, lots of reading during and in between scenarios. I’m not sure how well that would play out with autists.

I recently finished Tales from Red Dragon Inn which was really basic, but still a lot of fun. Not complicated and fairly simplistic, but I played it with a girl who does not game at all and she was still able to understand and play it without issue and she loved it. So I think kids and autists could get into it without getting frustrated.

My go-to dungeon crawler is Too Many Bones, and I would recommend that as well but entry cost is high, although I don’t think you would regret spending the money as it plays well solo.

Another two I would recommend are Shadows of Brimstone and Massive Darkness 2. Both are fairly easy to play and engaging.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I tend towards heavy dungeon crawls so maybe I'm not the best person to give an opinion. That being said Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game is pretty great for a pretty simple intro to D+D. It'll let you gauge their interest.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the latest Descent game from a few years ago. They reworked stuff from the original and added an app that runs alongside it. Has great ratings and isn’t super complex. Looks fun but I don’t have a dedicated group to go through it with.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the latest Descent game from a few years ago. They reworked stuff from the original and added an app that runs alongside it. Has great ratings and is t super complex. Looks fun but I don’t have a dedicated group to go through it with.

Odd, when I looked into it when it came out, I came away with the impression it was a dumbed down version (and quite wokeified even beyond 2E).

D Duskoy if boss battlers are also an option, I can vouch for Aeon Trespass Odyssey. Complex boss battler with a similar amount of (good and interesting) story reading.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Odd, when I looked into it when it came out, I came away with the impression it was a dumbed down version (and quite wokeified even beyond 2E).
Quite possible, I didn’t dig deep enough into it to find out about wokeness or not. I do know it was less complex than the previous Descent versions, but he said he wanted something that wasn’t complex.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Quite possible, I didn’t dig deep enough into it to find out about wokeness or not. I do know it was less complex than the previous Descent versions, but he said he wanted something that wasn’t complex.

This confused me until I went back and noticed your “isn’t” became “is” with a random t.