Boardwalk Empire

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I think they are a few months into 1924 atm so presumably they'll be towards the end of 25 when they come back. The series started in 1920 so yeah they've been rattling along.

One future "problem" they sort of have is the impact of future events. The St. Valentines Day massacre was a huge deal but it "only" killed 7 people. Season 3 and the massive body count in the last couple of episodes makes that seem like small fry, especially machine gun Al killing 20-30 odd men in one go so why should we really care about what should have been one of his defining moments later on? Hopefully they will find an interesting way around the problem unless they don't think the series will get that point in the timeline before the Nucky character runs its course.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I wonder if Eliot Ness will be introduced as a character in this show.

Joe_sl

shitlord
Bugsy has been in the show already but he's still young. He's the one that disguised himself as a paperboy and almost assassinates Rosetti.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I think they are a few months into 1924 atm so presumably they'll be towards the end of 25 when they come back. The series started in 1920 so yeah they've been rattling along.

One future "problem" they sort of have is the impact of future events. The St. Valentines Day massacre was a huge deal but it "only" killed 7 people. Season 3 and the massive body count in the last couple of episodes makes that seem like small fry, especially machine gun Al killing 20-30 odd men in one go so why should we really care about what should have been one of his defining moments later on? Hopefully they will find an interesting way around the problem unless they don't think the series will get that point in the timeline before the Nucky character runs its course.
They'll just up the body count, it's no big confounding problem.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I just finished S3 last night. After I struggled to stay interested during S2, this season just went full on awesome.

Rosetti was easily one of the best villains I've seen on a TV show in a while.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, he really is. I was very suspect of this season after they offed my boy in S2, but it turned out to be one of the best seasons of television I think I've ever seen.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, he really is. I was very suspect of this season after they offed my boy in S2, but it turned out to be one of the best seasons of television I think I've ever seen.
The fact that they did something as shocking as killing off Jimmy really made season 3 exciting for me. I never knew who was safe in any given episode.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, given that there is some historical basis for the show if you know or have read anything about the time period you have a pretty good idea of who is safe and who is not. Jimmy was an entirely fictional construct that ran his course and accomplished what the writers wanted him to accomplish.

McCheese

Well, given that there is some historical basis for the show if you know or have read anything about the time period you have a pretty good idea of who is safe and who is not. Jimmy was an entirely fictional construct that ran his course and accomplished what the writers wanted him to accomplish.
True, I don't expect any of the "big" characters like Nucky, Capone, Luciano, Masseria, Rothstein, etc. to die randomly, but there are plenty of other characters who are either fictional or not as well known and they could easily be killed off at any time. Take Harrow, for example. I was afraid of seeing his death in practically every episode. I just love when shows demonstrate that they're not afraid to shake things up by killing off popular, important characters.

On the topic of the real gangsters, I recently readWhen the Mob Ran Vegas. I'm not sure how true a lot of the stories are, but it's got some great ones about all the big players, and there are tons of stories connected with people from Boardwalk Empire. Obviously, it will spoil the real outcomes for many of the characters on the show. Worth a read, though.

Barbarian_sl

shitlord
If you don't expect Masseria to die off then you aren't down with Murder, Inc. Not really a spoiler since the show is already setting up Capone, Luciano, Lansky, etc as going their own ways without their respective mentors. Also, the hottest chick on the show is Nucky's ol' lady imo. Something about that homegrown Irish housewife who isn't getting any dick and therefore craves the fuck out of it.....yeaaaah.

McCheese

If you don't expect Masseria to die off then you aren't down with Murder, Inc.
It's not that I don't expect him to die, but I was talking more about the random deaths that you don't expect. If a big player dies it will be pretty predicted due to the episodes leading up to it.

I think Manny's death was a good example. Until that final minute or two when he was talking to his wife I had no expectation that he was about to get his head blown off. I could see the same happening to Harrow...he has a lovely day with his lady friend, walks outside and BAM. No more Harrow.

That's what I love about this show.

Brad2770

And I am glad I do not have to watch Dexter with this show. BWE surely made me realize how much better TV could be than what they have been giving us with Dexter. I still like Dexter though.