Boardwalk Empire

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Sploosh.gif

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This trailer is awesome, more mob violence Scorsese-style and less "muy childrhuun" pointless drama. Nucky, Val Halden, Harrow and some other peeps are really well written characters, you can see all along the late The Sopranos show writers at their work.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I like how the show has evolved from a shady political drama to full-blown mob show as Nucky has gotten in deeper and deeper.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I wish that they would get rid of Gretchen Mol and the whiny Irish chick. That would make the show as perfect as it could be.

Cybsled

Margaret and the kids represent Nucky's desire for a family. The removal of them would make him a less conflicted character and thus less fully fleshed out.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Margaret and the kids represent Nucky's desire for a family. The removal of them would make him a less conflicted character and thus less fully fleshed out.
Replace them with a different object of his desire for family. At this point the brain-dead hoe with the annoying voice is a better character than Margaret.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I wish that they would get rid ofGretchen Moland the whiny Irish chick. That would make the show as perfect as it could be.
No way. Her setting up the Jimmy suicide is going to have serious implications this season. Bitch is cold.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I motion Slaythe henceforth be known as Oedipus. All in favor?

McCheese

Is Valentine Narcisse a completely fictional character? I did some quick googling to see if I could find any back story on him and didn't turn up anything besides Boardwalk Empire news. Is he perhaps based on a real-life person of a different name?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Is Valentine Narcisse a completely fictional character? I did some quick googling to see if I could find any back story on him and didn't turn up anything besides Boardwalk Empire news. Is he perhaps based on a real-life person of a different name?
It might be based off of the "Numbers" bankers of Harlem during this period. They had a lot of interactions with the Genovese family and Luciano specifically in order to get out from under the thumb of Gangster Dutch Shultz. Bumpy was the one, I believe, that had the most direct interaction and got them out from under the families thumb when Luciano took over everything. Here is hisWiki...No idea if it's him, or not, but from what I understand, he and his fellow bankers, were allowed to run Harlem independently after getting Luciano to kill off the old boss--All they had to do was pay up a small tax on their numbers game.

It's probably an amalgamation of all the "numbers" bankers, at least, that's what I thought when I saw he was from Harlem. They were really the progenitors of the "black" mafia in the U.S. and they started in Harlem right around this time. It probably draws on Bumpy the most if I'm right, as he was the most famous. He was a pretty big associate of the Genovese family and an independent operator/crew allowed to exist in New York (Which was rare--so the guy had some balls/was respected.) He's sometimes referred to as the "Godfather" of Harlem.

McCheese

Awesome information, thanks. I think I enjoy reading about the facts behind this show as much as I enjoy watching it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Are we going to see Luciano grow up at any point in this series or does his kingdom not really come into shape until further along than the time period of this show is going to cover? As is he's portrayed as a pretty big dumb ass.