Border Issue

khalid

Unelected Mod
Maybe Merlin goes to the same school that Mist works at, where apparently the only way undergrads can pass is by cheating. In that scenario, Merlin would be doing great.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Imagine a college where khalid is the professor, mist is the administrator and merlin is the student. Id rather go to Bob Jones University.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That isn't very nice bro.
frown.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
Both Mist and I are atheists, so not sure how you get Pat Robertson out of it.

Unfortunately, both Merlin and Araysar would probably fail all their classes with me. Subtracting and probability are hard.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Combinatorics is fun bro.
I don't even know what that is... reading the wiki it looks like cool stuff though, I love fractal art and such (only type I've got any talent for).

Reading more I guess I probably did some (at least the wiki example at the top looks VAGUELY familiar), although I wasn't ever introduced to the term.

I think some of the more in dept ones actually touch on some of the puzzles I'd do in GAMES magazine though. [I <3 Cryptograms]

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think some of the more in dept ones actually touch on some of the puzzles I'd do in GAMES magazine though. [I <3 Cryptograms]
That is why I love mathematics actually. All the problems are puzzles, just some of them are harder than others. I wish people would be more willing to crack open a math textbook and try the problems, instead of doing things like sudoko. They feed the same "itch" in me.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm still seeing ads from churches that are funneling some government money/program or whatever it is to house illegal kids. They are offering up to $7k for a "group" (no specification on that) a month to house them and they say they are 15-17.

Shit I've seen Mexico and down around the border. I'm thinking for $7k a month I could put them in my non airconditioned shop and farm them out for labor since we have a severe Mexican shortage around here and they would be happier than where they came from and I would come out way ahead.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Probability is annoying when it comes to math stuff.
For whatever reason statistics was the only math I actually ever did well at or enjoyed. It's also one of the few maths I actually understood. That suprises everyone considering I work as a quasi engineer in a lot of my work and so far I haven't had anything rejected for a stamp in 25 years. Practical math is where it is at. Shit I couldn't see/touch was like the devil.

iannis

Musty Nester
I like maths. I like people who are good at maths and explain it a specific idea to me in casual conversation and then after they've spent 5-10 minutes I still don't have a clue what the fuck they're talking about. They're talking about something, and it even seems like it might be a very pretty something. But FUCK IF I KNOW.

These people are wizards. It's nice to know that when the revolution comes I won't be first in line for stake warming duty.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
For whatever reason statistics was the only math I actually ever did well at or enjoyed. It's also one of the few maths I actually understood. That suprises everyone considering I work as a quasi engineer in a lot of my work and so far I haven't had anything rejected for a stamp in 25 years. Practical math is where it is at. Shit I couldn't see/touch was like the devil.
That's kind of the way I was and I was an engineer too. I was never interested in math unless it was story problems. I was pretty much a C student in math all through high school but in college I took it more seriously and got mostly A's because I could see that it was useful to what I was trying to do. Math for math's sake always seemed pointless to me.

Vaclav

That's kind of the way I was and I was an engineer too. I was never interested in math unless it was story problems. I was pretty much a C student in math all through high school but in college I took it more seriously and got mostly A's because I could see that it was useful to what I was trying to do. Math for math's sake always seemed pointless to me.
See I was the exact opposite - "story problems" AKA word problems I presume under my vernacular - were the only thing I'd ever have difficulty with. But abstract math/geometry - no problem.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
physics and discrete math were in my wheelhouse. And parts of chemistry. Once I could remember the chemical bullshit and get all the stuff in an equation it was GG.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
See I was the exact opposite - "story problems" AKA word problems I presume under my vernacular - were the only thing I'd ever have difficulty with. But abstract math/geometry - no problem.
I think most people would agree with you. Most people hated the "story problems" but they were always my favorite.

Vaclav

I think most people would agree with you. Most people hated the "story problems" but they were always my favorite.
I think it's the grammar that kills me - as should be apparent, my brain and proper English are not the best of friends. So rather than listing things in a sensible format by how I'd write it, they always do these intentionally tricky wordings for no real reason other than to make a simple problem difficult just because you breezed over a word or a comma.