Borderlands 2

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think you're right about the dual nature of the game. Part of me still has fun shooting the helmet off a Goliath and leading him around to other baddies. Extra challenge and hilarity for a midget goliath. Part of me does it because it's fun and part for the chance at some decent loot. Then the disappointment comes when he drops a purple weapon but it sucks(fuck you hyperion guns!). I almost want to say this game would have a much better farming model with an AH(don't stone me!). At least, SOMETHING to do with blue and/or purples that you don't want besides selling to Marcus. An extra level of lootiness would go a long way.

This is what defeats my motivation to dealing with public games to kill a raid boss. Most likely, I'm getting a bunch of loot that will be turned into vendor fodder. Also, just to harp on this again, a lot of the boss encounters are poorly balanced with regards to player talents. A lot of the game is balanced around fast and frequent killing along with relatively short cooldowns. It's pretty obvious they had to toss trivial adds into some fights to keep the boss from devolving into a point and shoot.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well you need some cash on hand to buy ammo. Since that scales with level you require sometimes a decent amount if you fired off all your SMG and rockets. But there isn't much a point which is why they added crystals/torgue tokens/eridum as more "end game" currency.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'm about to kill Jack on TVHM with Axton and I don't really have any want to continue after that, I already feel for my turrets to do anything that I have to slag everybody and then switch weapons. I can't imagine it at UVHM.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I ditched my Axton around the time I had to kill the Bunker on TVHM. It just started becoming annoying.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Get a Slagga or spec slag turrets. I thought Axton was ez mode, especially in UVHM.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I agree that UVHM is more tedious than fun. Also don't like how Zero's sniping is worthless past normal mode. Then his Kunai build rapes faces, but becomes shit in UVHM and he's just a shitty character all the way around until you get Kunai + MMF and he becomes average again. Levels 50-57 are complete bullshit though

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I got axton to 61 yesterday after I obtained a DPUH from a torgue vending machine, then specced explosives and proceeded to dominate everything I came across. That thing is overpowered as hell.

My other guns tickle guys and then I switch to that and kill them instantly. It's laughable. I'm still using a level 50 Bee shield at 61 and it works just fine as well. I was trying to get a level 61 version but those treants are being assholes.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
With DPUH you can pretty much reserve the Bee for boss fights. Get a shield like the Antagonist and stop worrying about getting shot. You can just run around and murder everything and on the off chance you get dropped, the DPUH will usually get you right back up. Even easier with a Nukem.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I think the slag thing in UVHM is overblown. If you're playing multiplayer (which I rarely, if ever, do), you can have one person responsible for keeping mobs slagged. If solo, almost every class has a reliable way to apply slag (ruin, gunzerk with a slag offhand, kunai, etc). With the Tiny Tina expansion, the florentine SMG is dual shock + slag, and it is buyable with seraph crystals.

I much prefer the higher health mobs and end-game boss fights in BL2 to how easy the BL1 expansions were to blow through even with overpowered lower level items (ie, hellfire and pestilent defiler. I don't think I ever even finished the claptrap DLC because it was stupidly easy with my abundance of skill points and overpowered gear.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If solo, almost every class has a reliable way to apply slag (ruin, gunzerk with a slag offhand, kunai, etc).
Nope! Your examples include 2 specific talent trees while all three are cooldowns. And if you think having to kunai each and every enemy is the answer to tedious gameplay...ugh. I'm here to kill shit, not whittle it down while waiting for my cooldown to reset!

One single endgame weapon should not be a solution to slogging through UVHM.

Here's the real problem with UVHM: the game isn't designed for it. High health and damage enemies can work, but players do not have the talents or items(most of the time) to support it. 99% of the time, you're killing enemies fast and furious. The talents are built around this. Look how many are built around the concept of "kill some dudes...collect a bit of loot, recharge your shields, poke around a bit...kill some more dudes". You start to lengthen "kill some dudes" and a lot of talents fall apart or lose their effectiveness.

Look how many people bitched about the witch doctors in the Hammerlock DLC. They are tough sons of bitches and can last a long time if you don't take them out before they self-heal. Especially if you find one that is the same element as your main gun. I encountered one last night, a non-fire version, and he self-healed through a face blasting from my Maliwan Hellfire!

The developers realized all this and hamfisted a fix by upping slag's effectiveness. It's crude and tedious, but it does work. But it does little to cover up that UVHM is poorly balanced.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
different strokes I guess. I've put more hours into BL2 than any game I've ever played and I continue to look forward to getting stuff I still don't have - all the while challenged to get through areas unlike the hot-knife-through-butter my Lilith was with a hellfire in BL1

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
The game is more challenging because the typical mobs are more difficult to kill, and you can easily find yourself respawning if you don't play somewhat cautiously. 99% of the game is fighting normal (trash?) mobs, so I'm not sure the MMORPG raid trash analogy works.

PS: we're obviously not going to agree. I just don't get the people who declare they are going back to BL1 because of slag/UVHM scaling.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We don't have to agree to have a discussion. I'm definitely not going back to BL1. I don't know of anyone who is. BL1 is just load your character up with an Ogre and blast away. Kinda fun if you hack the game to simulate playing on 4 players. Skag dens can be annoying though.

The point of the analogy, and I think it still applies, is that it's the wrong kind of "challenge". I would either like the challenge to be more commensurate of how boring it is or make overcoming it more fun. As I said earlier, I still shoot helmets off Goliaths because it's fun. Use something like that. Charm burning in EQ was incredibly fun. Weapon swapping to a slag weapon(because who goes looking for a primary slag weapon? The nature of slag will ensure it's a secondary weapon) or being forced to a certain spec will always be boring and restrictive.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The +slag prefix/suffix/w-e comes at such a huge dps penalty that it really will always be a "2nd gun" status.

Also, difficulty is greatly modified by the loot and skill tree (and, fuckit, i'm going there) by class you play. Zero as a sniper fails the moment you hit packs of mobs that either don't have accessible crit spots, or don't die in one hit. Zero as melee fails the moment you don't gib in 1 swing, which leaves the pistol tree. I hope you farmed a magee or infinity.... Playing pistol zero with a random purple (hell, even a good purple) pistol is not fun.

Or you just whip out one of the 4-5 OP guns and a Bee, and all of your character's skills, bonuses, and failings cease to matter.

Pretty sure Gearbox knew this, which is why the Bee, who's ability or flavor really has nothing to do with the propaganda broadcaster, was put on a mob you can farm start to finish in under a minute.

There's a reason most of the crazy youtube gotta-collect-them-all farmers use siren or rarely gunzerker....

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand the point of putting so many hours into farming in a game where anyone can edit saves, even on consoles.