Borderlands 3

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well i mean, people are still going to consume the media, they just aren't going to pay for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
well i mean, people are still going to consume the media, they just aren't going to pay for it.

See, thats a position I understand and have no problem with, but when you think about the teams of people who produce games, its hard for me, personally, when I have the money more than sufficient to purchase the product, to justify not paying for it, just because I think the CEO of the company is a shitheel or whatever.

Its a rock and a hard place. I believe in supporting artists, both local and otherwise, by purchasing their products. Will me buying or not buying a game hurt anyone in the specific? Probably not. Its just an ethical quandary and how others approach it is up to them, but for me, I usually purchase my media, music, games, movies, etc. or at least rent them in the case of movies, because at least the attempt to reward the creators for their efforts, for me, is the ethical thing to do.

Feel free to disagree.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
See, thats a position I understand and have no problem with, but when you think about the teams of people who produce games, its hard for me, personally, when I have the money more than sufficient to purchase the product, to justify not paying for it, just because I think the CEO of the company is a shitheel or whatever.

Its a rock and a hard place. I believe in supporting artists, both local and otherwise, by purchasing their products. Will me buying or not buying a game hurt anyone in the specific? Probably not. Its just an ethical quandary and how others approach it is up to them, but for me, I usually purchase my media, music, games, movies, etc. or at least rent them in the case of movies, because at least the attempt to reward the creators for their efforts, for me, is the ethical thing to do.

Feel free to disagree.

I look at it a different way. I willingly and overwhelming give my money to companies that prove, by both words and action, that they are pro-customer and against nickle and dime tactics. It is why I was all in on Steam and GoG and Netflix (in the beginning). I don't look at it as individual people as there will always be companies that open and close due to market forces and piracy is one of the most direct market forces that send a message to media companies that they are being anti-consumer.

Oh, also, most of these companies are filled with literal blue-hairs and progressive assholes, so I don't feel bad about funding their crusades against my culture but that is a side effect of the stuff mentioned above.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Feel free to disagree.

The problem here is that the financial success, and the accolades earned therein, generally goes directly to the shitheels,,,,,,,,and the artists and programmers don't get shit. They also rarely get any kind of recognition or exposure.

And continued financial success enables the shitheels and they keep on being successful shitheels.

I dunno, there is no elegant solution, but the artists and programmers typically get paid up front, so the success of the game to them, at least as a living wage, is a moot point. There is the valid point of continued employment under a failure state, which is what makes this complicated.

I love a lot of what Disney has to offer, but I will never subscribe to their service, no matter the draw. People have different lines to draw in the sand.

With regards to B3, I refuse to acknowledge the Epic Store even exists, but I will more than likely pay full price for it on Steam. Pretty milquetoast line on my part, I know.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Can't wait to torrent this and seed it for the next 5 years. Fuck this company, fuck the people that work there, and fuck the piece of utter shit running the whole thing.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The problem here is that the financial success, and the accolades earned therein, generally goes directly to the shitheels,,,,,,,,and the artists and programmers don't get shit.

Usually they get paychecks, and bonuses.

Again, whether the money actually makes it there is out of my hands. What is ethical, in my view, for me personally, feel free to disagree, is the ATTEMPT to reward the creators.

I 100% agree, most of the profits go to shitheels, shareholders, and CEOs. That sucks. But the workers still gotta feed their families and pay their bills too.

With regards to B3, I refuse to acknowledge the Epic Store even exists

See, I LIKE the epic games store. I love Steam too. A little competition never hurt anyone. I've got like 40 games on Epic game store already, I've paid for less than 8 of them.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
A good friend of mine is an animator and producer in the industry, currently high up in the Overwatch team and paid his dues for years on a lot of shit projects. No matter how shit the project though, they wanted it to do well m, even if they got no bonuses as it was still a direct reflection on them because of their name was on it and it was in their portfolio of projects.

So it’s not a moot point, if they worked on the game I guarantee you they want it to do well, bonuses or not.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the video game industry is just sort of a mess behind the scenes. like, in just about any other industry curt schilling would have been jailed for what he did. honestly i don't know how he wasn't. it's absolutely not fair to the regular everyday employees that their own success or failure has more to do with the CEO of their company than their own personal input. you can have an artist/programmer that kicks butt but they are getting paid peanuts and have forced overtime without pay, really sacrificing for their work, and get nothing. then you can have someone who just sort of gets by with their work ethic and have a successful career. i mean, that's really across all employment but i feel it sticks out so much more in the video game industry.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
A good friend of mine is an animator and producer in the industry, currently high up in the Overwatch team and paid his dues for years on a lot of shit projects. No matter how shit the project though, they wanted it to do well m, even if they got no bonuses as it was still a direct reflection on them because of their name was on it and it was in their portfolio of projects.

So it’s not a moot point, if they worked on the game I guarantee you they want it to do well, bonuses or not.

Like most people you want your project to do well if only for the feeling that you have't wasted the last 2-3 years of your life. Even when you don't work large amounts of ridiculous overtime for no compensation (which you shouldn't) you are still spending 40 hours a week doing something.

• 2Truth!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Its fun that PC Master Race wins out on the global launch. I had not carefully looked at the graphic before and am happily surprised I can play this tonight.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well if you set your xbox to Australia region apparently you can play it right now if you're on xbox

I'm 100% sure if you VPN to Australia and log into your epic games store account, you can unlock the title now in the US because of this.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

People who deal with all the weirdness that is involved in the game industry tend to really like games or they would go work at a bank or insurance company for more stable hours and probably better pay. People put up with the crappy management in the gaming industry that leads to long periods of crunch because they like video games. I doubt any of the coders or programers or grunt workers wants to see something they put a lot of work into fail. They want to go to their friends hey we just put this game out come play it with me.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Hence my point on the continued employment in a failure state. I understand it reflects on them, and everyone wants something in which they have a hand to succeed.

That is the tightrope we walk here - how to punish the idiotic figureheads and SJW taint while still rewarding the everyman worker. This tightrope exists in a heck of a lot more industries than just gaming and game design.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
the video game industry is just sort of a mess behind the scenes. like, in just about any other industry curt schilling would have been jailed for what he did. honestly i don't know how he wasn't. it's absolutely not fair to the regular everyday employees that their own success or failure has more to do with the CEO of their company than their own personal input. you can have an artist/programmer that kicks butt but they are getting paid peanuts and have forced overtime without pay, really sacrificing for their work, and get nothing. then you can have someone who just sort of gets by with their work ethic and have a successful career. i mean, that's really across all employment but i feel it sticks out so much more in the video game industry.

If you think this is not prevalent in a swathe of industries, you are wrong. Early on in my career I sold my soul, sweat, blood and tears to a small oil and gas company - worked intense 7 day weeks, 12+ hour days, on call 24/7, to help set it all up for great things and create the groundwork and foundation for many years of profit; did I get rewarded extra for any of that work? Nope. To this day I still feel that it was criminal that about seven core, key employees were not significantly rewarded and set up "for life" after the work done over an 18 month period. But the owner and his billion dollar family just kept going on going on. I learned my lesson, and now I work for larger companies with better work-life balance and realize that, even though it sounds bitter, ain't no one going to look out for you but you. So do what you feel you need to do to satisfy your job requirements as well as your own professional ethics, and enjoy your life outside work.

Well, that went to a place I did not expect haha.

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Will pirate. Hopefully Pitchford chokes to death in the near future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
man this thread got super gay

i don't care about epic game store shit, thats capitalism you compete and do better or die. some of you sound like fucking commies, do you want the government to intervene and tell Epic what to do? FUCKING COMMIES GO BACK TO NORTH KOREA

I don't know shit about Randy Pitchford other than he's probably a magician pedo, although I'd guess all magicians are so maybe thats redundant. I stopped caring long ago who runs what and what kind of person they are.

I used to pirate the fuck out of games but stopped, way too many viruses and bitcoin miners and keyloggers, I've managed to go 45 years without getting an STD, not gonna get one on my PC from some skank pirate site. Besides, doesn't it take a few days or longer? I just checked and it took Metro Exodus 20 days to get cracked from release. I'm an old man, I ain't got time to be waiting 3 weeks I WANNA PLAY THIS WEEKEND. You probably also can't go online with cracked versions

Picking up my epic game store key tonight at gamestop and gonna play the fuck out of this game before i pass out around 9pm, i can't even stay up properly :(

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The "buy now" button on screen while watching several streams is kinda lame. Ads are bad enough, its like Twitch and the Streamers themselves are slowly becoming more and more "patched up" (as in having ads plastered around the game screen all the time).

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
man this thread got super gay

i don't care about epic game store shit, thats capitalism you compete and do better or die. some of you sound like fucking commies, do you want the government to intervene and tell Epic what to do? FUCKING COMMIES GO BACK TO NORTH KOREA

I don't know shit about Randy Pitchford other than he's probably a magician pedo, although I'd guess all magicians are so maybe thats redundant. I stopped caring long ago who runs what and what kind of person they are.

I used to pirate the fuck out of games but stopped, way too many viruses and bitcoin miners and keyloggers, I've managed to go 45 years without getting an STD, not gonna get one on my PC from some skank pirate site. Besides, doesn't it take a few days or longer? I just checked and it took Metro Exodus 20 days to get cracked from release. I'm an old man, I ain't got time to be waiting 3 weeks I WANNA PLAY THIS WEEKEND. You probably also can't go online with cracked versions

Picking up my epic game store key tonight at gamestop and gonna play the fuck out of this game before i pass out around 9pm, i can't even stay up properly :(

Sure that is capitalism. Capitalism is also me telling Epic to go fuck themselves and not paying for any of their stupid bullshit.

Woo capitalism!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users