Borderlands 3

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have almost come to post this exact same thing about ten times. The side characters are the only thing that makes this game seem like a BL game; the main characters and storyline must have been written by a different team because the differences are astounding. Also, it seems like planets/zones were handled the same way. They were given to discreet teams with their own idea of what constitutes a good zone and the left to their own devices. Have you noticed how the 'fun' zones have a ton of vending machines and it feels like you can legitimately pick up all the loot because you have a place close to sell it? Those were the zones designed by the competent team. The other ones where you go half a fucking planet away without a single place to sell is ridiculous. It also doesn't help that the 'lost loot machine' has no discernable rhyme or reason to what dropped or left behind loot it picks up and what it does not.

Oh for sure, although I mostly thought Eden 6 had that handled.... the worst offendors were the linear one off planets like the monastery one, where there is one quick travel point. But yeah I get it. Eden 6 was just weird... on paper it was exactly my kind of design... a hub "open" world area with spokes that were more linear dungeon type places. But for some odd reason most of the "dungeons" just felt like they were too long. But that's my gripe with most of these loot games is they make the damn inventories needlessly restricted. Why? Nioh you had 500 slots out of the box, and it was awesome. Division 2's is good too... it's pretty hard to fill up once you get it up to 100 (which is nowhere near as expensive/hard as it is to get BL 3's up). And yeah I don't get the lost loot thing. I just consider it mostly bonus money for me when I get back to the ship. I'm rolling Amara so I require melee buff on any and all weapons so it's easy to screen. And I pick up as many blue + items for cash. I'm still not a fan of how gear works in a game meant for farming. You have 1 weapon at a time plus a shield, grenade, class mod, and artifact. I wish they had some armor slots as well but I guess that's what the talents and class mods are for. But really I'm 85% ok with the actual gameplay and systems. It's the story that really drags this shit down.

Oh and fuck the radio Crew Challenges. Those things just suck ass as FPS and Platforming just do not mix... ever. I love finding the Claptrap and Typhon things though (Although Typhon's Jersey accent is kind of dumb compared to what he's supposed to look like).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Let's not forget the massive pointless nerfs to the few good items in this game. WE HAVE ONE BILLION WEAPONS. ALL BUT TEN ARE SHIT, SO LET'S MAKE THEM ALL SHIT.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Let's not forget the massive pointless nerfs to the few good items in this game. WE HAVE ONE BILLION WEAPONS. ALL BUT TEN ARE SHIT, SO LET'S MAKE THEM ALL SHIT.

Yeah this is definitely a game that does not need nerfs. If a build is Over performing maybe do what you can to bring all other builds up to its level. I mean shit it's a first person diablo. Go in and gib huge groups of enemies as quickly as possible.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't remember the previous Borderlands games being so obviously formulaic. Even after multiple playthroughs I could see myself doing it all again on a new character and enjoying it.

I honestly can not see myself playing B3 through a second time. The whole trash clear to meet an old familiar character followed by another trash clear and a boss fight is very old now and I'm only on Chapter 13.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Also, the 'ending' then teaser trying to fool you into thinking it was a cliffhanger was the most retarded thing I have witnessed in the last decade of gaming. Possibly longer.

• 1Worf

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't remember the previous Borderlands games being so obviously formulaic. Even after multiple playthroughs I could see myself doing it all again on a new character and enjoying it.

I honestly can not see myself playing B3 through a second time. The whole trash clear to meet an old familiar character followed by another trash clear and a boss fight is very old now and I'm only on Chapter 13.

And that's the odd thing, this is really my first borderlands. I dabbled in the other 2 but they just didn't click with me at all. After finally getting their loop in 3 I do want to go back and play 2 (I have the handsome jack collection).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
with all the news surrounding this game... i honestly can't wait to pirate it. like, i might not even play it. but i'm absolutely pirating it just out of principle

i didn't actually think i was serious about this when i wrote it...

i played like... a handful of hours and i just cannot get into it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
i didn't actually think i was serious about this when i wrote it...

i played like... a handful of hours and i just cannot get into it.

The first half sucks and is grindy. The second half has a few bright moments, but otherwise meh.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you actually fast travel in this game? It showed me the fast travel tutorial (which incidentally was broken, said press R to go to orbit view which did nothing, pressing the correct key X also did nothing), but I seem unable to actually use it.

Fast travel aside, the entire UI is awful.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I finished the dumb story, started playing mayhem 3 to farm some weapons, and immediately realized that I did not want to play TVHM. Uninstalled and no ragrates.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How do you actually fast travel in this game? It showed me the fast travel tutorial (which incidentally was broken, said press R to go to orbit view which did nothing, pressing the correct key X also did nothing), but I seem unable to actually use it.

Yeah, took me a while to get used to it and I still don't always get it right.

I'm on the PS4 but when I want to fast travel somewhere I need to hold down on the X and it takes 2-3 seconds to activate represented by a clockwise shading on the outer circle of the button. On some occasions I seem to need to use a fast travel device to do this and on other occasions I can be in the middle of the zone and just hop between fast travel points without any hassle. You can also teleport to your vehicle if you've left it somewhere in the zone as well which can be useful.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I know its not cool to say anything good about this game, but the DLC is really good. just finished my first playthrough with Moze on Mayhem 3, and it was a blast. keep on hatin'!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I have to second this. I ended up playing the DLC solo since everyone else was done with the game and it was very good. I want to know who developed the DLC... was it a 3rd party or was it done in house?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just beat it. I personally think the game play is great and most of the mechanics are solid. The main mechanical gripe I have is with the post story game. Why do I need to trudge through the story AGAIN on the same character to get to the free roam part on TVHM which is obviously the ramp up for the "real gear?" Even if I loved the story, that's just too much, holy shit, and then add in the fact that you can't skip cut scenes? Holy god, especially on this story...

Which leads me to this... the writing for the main plot of this game was terrible. The villians were annoying cunts. The heroes were blatantly written as check boxes on a list and not actual characters. All the side characters and the "main characters" on each planet were amazing though so it had that much going for it. But not only the annoying main characters and villians, the overall plot was just weirdly paced. They had a TON of content, but it felt like the content was 3 or 4 times what they actually needed for this plot. So, it felt like you were just spinning your wheels for the sake of hitting all the areas they had created. This was especially true in Eden 6, and it sucked because I was going "Ok let's get out of here already," because I was tired of dealing with the twins, and the power girls, and not really enjoying the fun design of the levels. Why not take some of those areas and just make side content like that Killavolt level Lectra City? It was obvious then, they had a really cool zone designed that did not have a place in the main story so they just made a funny quest with Moxxxi and an ex boyfriend. It worked. And someone brought up the early game previously... I thought the game was paced nicely until you went to Eden 6... then it just fell apart.

With that said... this is an ARPG. A terrible story should never have that much of an affect. I mean hell, Nioh's story was god awful, but I didn't care because after my first play through, and even during my first play through, I could skip cut scenes. However this is Borderlands 3 and they force you to watch it twice on one character, and if you want to level all 4, that's fucking 8 times. That's just insane. Someone did the math and all the cutscnes and shit take something like 3 or 4 hours. Ugh... Superfan this you fucking annoying twat.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Down to $33 from IndieGala this weekend. Considering picking it up. Does it have the drop in/out Co-op that the rest of the series has?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Pirate it, download saved games with all the items and abilities, enjoy for an afternoon, delete.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Sounds like a really stupid way of playing games

This advice is specific to this title, and based on the content / gameplay it offers.

Others have pointed out that the only virtue this game has is blasting massive amounts of NPC in a short time, and it does that pretty well.

Adding grind to that concept doesn't make it a better game.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
This advice is specific to this title, and based on the content / gameplay it offers.

Others have pointed out that the only virtue this game has is blasting massive amounts of NPC in a short time, and it does that pretty well.

Adding grind to that concept doesn't make it a better game.
Fun guns are a virtue.