Boston Marathon Explosion - Today's Topics: Public Schools

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Family friends that don't talk until something big happens and then I watch them for a bit before putting them on ignore. Every so often a new one emerges I didn't know was a crazy person. It amuses me.
Exactly this. I think people have real difficulty with the randomness of the universe being shoved in their face.

Example from a guy I thought was pretty smart:

I was listening to the police scanner the whole night they were searching for suspect 2. Did you know cnn's twitter feed was hacked that night and was giving out false info Did you know even the police scanner I was listening to was intercepted and taken over by the military once they found out it was live on the internet? The story changed once it was intercepted. There's a plethora of info out there.

frown.png

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
A small random list of various facts associated with this eventhttp://boston.com/ae/radio/blog/2013...lmer_poem.htmlAlmost all of it is small pointless stuff but I found these two interesting:

22. IF YOU WERE LISTENING TO THE SCANNER, THIS WILL NOT BE NEWS: WATERTOWN POLICE OFFICERS ARE TOTALLY BADASS.

While waiting for backup, a single Watertown police officer engaged in a shootout with the suspects early Friday morning -- and employed a tactic straight out of a Die Hard movie, according to Watertown police chief Edward Deveau.

The officer put his car in gear and jumped out of it, hoping they would think he was still in it as he fired from behind a tree, Deveau said.
25. MIRACLES HAPPENED.

Despite losing his entire blood supply -- that's right, all of his own blood -- MBTA Police Officer Richard Donahue, who was hit by a bullet that severed his femoral artery during the Watertown shootout, was resuscitated after 45 minutes and "should be able to recover and to walk again," according to the LA Times.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"While waiting for backup, a single Watertown police officer engaged in a shootout with the suspects early Friday morning -- and employed a tactic straight out of a Die Hard movie, according to Watertown police chief Edward Deveau.

The officer put his car in gear and jumped out of it, hoping they would think he was still in it as he fired from behind a tree, Deveau said."

wtf. that's pretty clutch but I don't know if that makes sense. How fast was the car going?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
"While waiting for backup, a single Watertown police officer engaged in a shootout with the suspects early Friday morning -- and employed a tactic straight out of a Die Hard movie, according to Watertown police chief Edward Deveau.

The officer put his car in gear and jumped out of it, hoping they would think he was still in it as he fired from behind a tree, Deveau said."

wtf. that's pretty clutch but I don't know if that makes sense. How fast was the car going?
How fast does your car go when you put the stick on D and let off the pedal (assuming it is automatic)? Probably 5 MPH or so.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Yeah under that definition the U.S. military has been deploying WMD's, non-stop, for over a decade. Maybe we need a scale for WMD's.

WWMD: weak weapon of mass destruction (not to be confused with the inspirational WWMD "What Would Muhammad Do?" bracelets.)
WMD: the run of the mill Nuclear, Chemical or Biological device capable of killing millions that we all know and love.
MWMD: Massive Weapon of Mass Destruction [This term can really only be applied to weapons crafted through science fiction like the Death Star Cannon (Star Wars) The Shadow Planet Killer (Babylon 5), Reality Bomb (Doctor Who), MD device (Ender's Game), LEXX (LEXX), Omnipotus (The TICK), you get the idea.] Basically it needs to be able to destroy an entire planet at minimum.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like one of the comments on that article. They would've killed more people if they actually used a gun at the Boston Marathon. Likely less injured, and they wouldn't have shut down parts of Boston last week, but definitely more dead.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Possibly, unless somebody grabbed them. The crazy thing about those mass shootings is that if at any point any 3 people decided to rush the shooter it would be over but everyone always runs away which is a best case scenario for the shooter. Also shooting means zero chance of escaping alive for the shooter. The marathon is also not a great scenario for a mass shooting because there are so many cops around.

Caliane

Yeah under that definition the U.S. military has been deploying WMD's, non-stop, for over a decade. Maybe we need a scale for WMD's.

WWMD: weak weapon of mass destruction (not to be confused with the inspirational WWMD "What Would Muhammad Do?" bracelets.)
WMD: the run of the mill Nuclear, Chemical or Biological device capable of killing millions that we all know and love.
MWMD: Massive Weapon of Mass Destruction [This term can really only be applied to weapons crafted through science fiction like the Death Star Cannon (Star Wars) The Shadow Planet Killer (Babylon 5), Reality Bomb (Doctor Who), MD device (Ender's Game), LEXX (LEXX), Omnipotus (The TICK), you get the idea.] Basically it needs to be able to destroy an entire planet at minimum.
Explosive device is explosive device.

It just makes no sense for "weapon of mass destruction" to include all explosive devices.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised WMD is even a legal term, much less defined as 'explosive device'. Weapon and Destruction are redundant and mass isn't an indicator of anything.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sure it is, a weapon of mass destruction destroys mass!

It's to put in a different category from weapons of spiritual destruction, like Shelly Nude Pics and Justin Beiber "I Drink Alone" covers.