Breaking Bad

khalid

Unelected Mod
gretchen and elliot only offered help when they found out walt was dying.
As far as we know, yes. However, Walt's entire character is about not taking other people's charity.

Walt cashed out early because of his pride and that fucked him. He sure as shit was going to blame them though, and at the same time refuse to take any help from them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nope they wronged walt, try to rewatch on dvr, right after they see the 2 red dots, and then it goes away, he slaps them both on the back and says "cheer up beautiful ppl, this is where you get to make it right"

he blames them still, they owe him.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Of course he blames them. That doesn't mean they did anything wrong though. This is Walt we are talking about.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this is all conjecture here, but i am assuming gretchen wasnt just some hoe walt was banging, it was probably his fiancee and elliot was walt's best friend. even if you get horny, it doesnt make it right to fuck over your fiancee or best friend. people get killed for shit like that. i have a friend that dated this girl for 7 years, since like high school then his brother started putting it to her, she broke up with my friend and married his brother and had kids. he hasnt spoken to his brother in over ten years. these are not imaginary hurts.

khalid

Unelected Mod
There is probably a decent amount of evidence linking Jesse to Walt out there. Unless I missed it, he also didn't pick up any cash. So while he did survive, I imagine his life isn't going to be the greatest.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
jesse still holds the deed to his house. that money he tossed around was recovered by the cops. its still his cash even if how he came by it is dubious.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man this series gets you thinking... is there some sort of death cycle here with jessie slave leia chocking todd as his presumably last kill, going back to walt chocking out krazy8 as his first kill?

khalid

Unelected Mod
this is all conjecture here
I dunno man, that wasn't my take from the episodes in the past.

Just from the wiki...

"[Gretchen is] horrified when Walter angrily and bitterly blames her and Elliott for ruining his life. Although she claims that Walter sees it wrong, it is still unknown what transpired, only that on Fourth of July weekend with Gretchen, her father, and her brothers, Walt was in his room packing his bags and barely talking. Walt left Gretchen and his research behind suddenly and without explanation."

That strikes me as very likely that Walt let his pride get in the way and that Eliot wasn't the cause of the breakup.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There is probably a decent amount of evidence linking Jesse to Walt out there. Unless I missed it, he also didn't pick up any cash. So while he did survive, I imagine his life isn't going to be the greatest.
Yeah that seems kind of a loose end. Dude is obviously wanted and cant touch anything legally so his life is relegated to being a hobo.

khalid

Unelected Mod
life is relegated to being a hobo.
On the other hand, from the Need for Speed wiki

After being released from prison for a crime that he didn't commit, a street racer, Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul), is set to race cross-country and to get revenge on his longtime friend and partner.
Sounds like Walt actually doesnt die and Jesse ends up going to jail for a bit.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Honestly? When has Walt let his pride dictate blame? You guys say that, a lot, and Walt's pride makes him do very outrageous things (like wanting a meth empire over easy cash). But usually, when he blames someone, or suspects someone of something--his judgement is usually spot on, and his analysis extremely accurate (Thought very blunt). Gus, Jesse, Crazy 8, Tuco--he pegged all these people for precisely what they were thinking, his pride didn't skew who he laid blame upon.

Walt's pride gets him into a lot of trouble--but it doesn't affect his judgements of others really.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
well since we dont know it could be anything really. maybe gretchen's family said that gretchen is fucking eliot or that he is not welcome because he is a poor non-jew .

khalid

Unelected Mod
If he truly felt that Gretchen and Eliot had ruined his life, I don't think he would have essentially ignored them up until they were the last possible avenue for getting help to his kids. He would have tried to exact some sort of revenge.

However, it is all speculation. The only thing we do know is Walt blames them and Gretchen said that he was the one that left without much of a warning.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
working so hard and down to the last cent that you only eat 10c ramen and only getting 5k for your stake in the company? i say they did some kind of rich white person fucking over to walt.
This is the impression I got. Walt left spur of the moment during a vacation to her families estate. They hinted heavily Gretchen came from money, lots of money. My theory has always been her father pulled Walt aside and said he would not fund the company if Walt was a part of it, because he didn't want Walt getting close to Gretchen, and then marrying her and inheriting his money--when she could have had Eliot (Who also seems to come from money.)

Essentially, Walt went to an Ivy League school, and worked with Ivy League graduates because of his brains, not his social pedigree. And when they saw him attempting to marry in, they forced him out. What burned him though is that Gray Matters success was all based on those brains. I've known three people that got into very prestigious schools on scholarship who came from middle class families--and I've actually seen something like this play out. Old money is VERY insular, and Gretchen, I think, is old money.

khalid

Unelected Mod
If that is the case, and it is certainly plausible, it still isn't Gretchen and Eliot's fault. In fact, its possible that neither one of them even knew about it. Certainly Gretchen seemed to have no idea why he just suddenly left.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If that is the case, and it is certainly plausible, it still isn't Gretchen and Eliot's fault. In fact, its possible that neither one of them even knew about it. Certainly Gretchen seemed to have no idea why he just suddenly left.
True. But that's the theme of the whole show, it's all Shakespear based tragedies--tons of bad stuff all based off of no one talking to each other. If I had to guess, Walt really loved Gretchen, and maybe expected her to follow him, and really press for the truth--but maybe she was upset, and angry and instead went to Eliot for comfort, and that further pissed Walter off (Reinforcing the notion that she agreed with her family.) In that case, I'd say it wasalso(But not totally) Gretchen's fault simply because she profited from Walt's work, while being in love, without ever caring enough to dig for the truth--while he "took one for the team" and went his own way to save her from grief and keep their dream alive.

All conjecture, but given Giligan's use of tragic drama? It feels like his kind of sentiment. Both people were wrong, and the problem was made worse by no one talking.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Another thing that maybe I will find more evidence of when I rewatch it.

Why was Walt just teaching in a high school? As part of a nobel winning team, even if not the ones named, surely he could have easily gotten a job at a college or been able to do research somewhere.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Another thing that maybe I will find more evidence of when I rewatch it.

Why was Walt just teaching in a high school? As part of a nobel winning team, even if not the ones named, surely he could have easily gotten a job at a college or been able to do research somewhere.
They never really explain that. We know Walt was working in a high end government facility when Skylar was first pregnant (On lasers/crystals)--so he for sure stayed in the research field after leaving Gray Matter. But then he seemed to swap to being a teacher. If I had to guess, when Walt Jr. was born with the really bad disability he needed to reduce his hours and help more with him, so he decided to work for a few years as a teacher rather than more competitive work...And as with a lot of things in life, a cycle of crap and poor timing kept him there.