Breaking Bad

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Beautiful.

Favorite parts: Walt at Elliot and Gretchen's. Phone call with Lydia, Walt and Jesse's resolution, "I did it for me"

"And before you even turn around BAM....darkness"

"Cheer up beautiful people. This is where you get to make it right."

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well, its a bit early to be ranking Breaking Bad in the pantheon of great shows right now.

However, I have to say that I think Breaking Bad has exceeded The Wire in managing to go out on one of the best seasons yet. The Wire was absolutely great but s5 to me wasn't that good. BB on the other hand completely nailed the final season and the finale. Consistent and incredible quality throughout.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Another thing that maybe I will find more evidence of when I rewatch it.

Why was Walt just teaching in a high school? As part of a nobel winning team, even if not the ones named, surely he could have easily gotten a job at a college or been able to do research somewhere.
i always just assumed walt needed cash because walt jr was on the way and his current gig as a research chemist wasnt going to cut it so he got the high school job which paid more and he fell into a rut because it meant stability.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
i always just assumed walt needed cash because walt jr was on the way and his current gig as a research chemist wasnt going to cut it so he got the high school job which paid more and he fell into a rut because it meant stability.
There is absolutely no way that a high school teaching job pays more than a research chemist. It's pretty apparent that he had a falling out of some kind, probably over Gretchen. Whether it was entirely his fault is left to our imaginations, but after he threatens them in the finale he does say "This is a way to make it right." as he leaves.

Could be he just feels owed something, or it could be they really fucked him over more than just telling Charlie Rose he didn't contribute very much.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Lenas wins prediction title. No need for a poll, in my opinion.

spronk

FPS noob
There is absolutely no way that a high school teaching job pays more than a research chemist. It's pretty apparent that he had a falling out of some kind, probably over Gretchen. Whether it was entirely his fault is left to our imaginations, but after he threatens them in the finale he does say "This is a way to make it right." as he leaves.
There were two parts to the falling out.

1. Gretchen was his lab assistant and Elliot was his co-worker. The three of them founded Grey Matter while working at Los Alamos, which is near Santa Fe. At some point Walt feels insulted by Gretchen's family, and decides to leave Grey Matter. He takes a $5k buyout offer. 20 years later, Grey Matter is part of the nobel prize win, a public company, and worth $2 billion dollars (as founders Gretchen and Elliot would be worth in the $300-500m range), and Walt has respun the past so that Gretchen cheated on him and conspired with Elliot to steal his share of the company, none of which is probably true.

2. He is working afterwards as a lab assistant at Los Alamos, and starts dating Skyler who works at a restaurant near Los Alamos. She gets pregnant, they marry and buy a small house in ABQ. This happens during the flashback to them buying their house - Walt is still working at Los Alamos, he still has big plans for the future. Sometime after this he quits or is fired from Los Alamos (probably his pride, again) and he takes a teaching job at an ABQ high school to temporarily fund the bills. He ends up staying at the job - this is a common theme, marriage and children "sap" your career.

btw, both Microsoft and Apple had early employees/founders who sold their initial shares for $5-10k, and each would have been worth billions if they had kept it for 20 years. So the situation is far from unrealistic.

I think a good flashback would have been to the time when Walt leaves Grey Matter, we would have Gretchen's dad make some silly comment ("treat my baby right, she grew up a princess and isn't used to living like you!") and Walt just goes insane and takes it out of proportion and context. I guess there just wasn't enough time, and it might have been too confusing or not central to the storyline.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, I'll finally guess (again) at the finale.

Walt: Oddly dies by his own hand after an assault on the Nazi compound. I'm talking about you Mr. M60.
Jesse: Kills Todd and gets his freedom.
Skylar: Tells Walt she doesn't want his money. He tells her where Hank is buried.
Walt Jr: Still a moody twat.

Marie: I don't care about her character. Haha, your husband died.
Todd: Dies via Jesse.
Lydia: Dies. Something to do with Ricin.
Jack: Gets killed by Walt in the assault on the nazi compound.
Gretchen: Hates Walt. Is a bitch. Is forced to give cash to Walt's family.
Elliot: Thinks about attacking Walt with a knife, but it isn't big enough. As a result, is forced to give cash to Walt's family.

DO I WIN?!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm kinda bummed that nobody got even close to a happy ending. Everyone is either scarred for life or dead. Even the Wire had an upbeat ending for a couple of the characters.

Also, the Nazis being the final "villain" seems anticlimactic. Up until a couple episodes ago, they were just the hitmen whenever Walt needed them. IDK if I'm explaining this right. They just seemed to progress into a real threat a lot faster than normal plot development.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
I'm kinda bummed that nobody got even close to a happy ending. Everyone is either scarred for life or dead. Even the Wire had an upbeat ending for a couple of the characters.

Also, the Nazis being the final "villain" seems anticlimactic. Up until a couple episodes ago, they were just the hitmen whenever Walt needed them. IDK if I'm explaining this right. They just seemed to progress into a real threat a lot faster than normal plot development.
They did organize the killing of 13 inmates in under 2 minutes, and if they were AB - that is a nationwide organization, I don't think its that far fetched.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Also, the Nazis being the final "villain" seems anticlimactic.Up until a couple episodes ago, they were just the hitmen whenever Walt needed them. IDK if I'm explaining this right. They just seemed to progress into a real threat a lot faster than normal plot development.
i think the same.

anyway,great finale!