Breaking Bad

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Felina is a reference to the Marty Robbins song at the beginning of the episode.

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina,
Wicked and evil while casting a spell.
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
I was in love but in vain, I could tell.

One night a wild young cowboy came in,
Wild as the West Texas wind.
Dashing and daring,
A drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina,
The girl that I loved.

So in anger I

Challenged his right for the love of this maiden.
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore.
My challenge was answered in less than a heart-beat;
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.

Just for a moment I stood there in silence,
Shocked by the FOUL EVIL deed I had done.
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there;
I had but one chance and that was to run.

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran,
Out where the horses were tied.
I caught a good one.
It looked like it could run.
Up on its back
And away I did ride,

Just as fast as I

Could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico.

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless.
Everything's gone in life; nothing is left.
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death.

I saddled up and away I did go,
Riding alone in the dark.
Maybe tomorrow
A bullet may find me.
Tonight nothing's worse than this
Pain in my heart.

And at last here I

Am on the hill overlooking El Paso;
I can see Rosa's cantina below.
My love is strong and it pushes me onward.
Down off the hill to Felina I go.

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys;
Off to my left ride a dozen or more.
Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me.
I have to make it to Rosa's back door.

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.

But my love for

Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen,
Though I am weary I can't stop to rest.
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle.
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest.

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Perfect song for the ending. To this day every time I hear Don't Stop Believin' I think of The Sopranos; I imagine it will be the same for Baby Blue with Breaking Bad. It was also cool that they had the Marty Robbins song playing (which I linked earlier) when he stole the Volvo.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes, the song was perfect. Absolutely perfect. I literally started tearing up during that song.

When he was walking around the meth lab and picked up the gasmask I laughed because I thought he was going to do one final cook or blow himself and the place up! I thought that would have been pretty badass, but him being in "love" with all the equipment was very touching and quite beautiful.

Percy Bysshe Shelley's poem, Ozymandias, is quite fitting for this show:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They did organize the killing of 13 inmates in under 2 minutes, and if they were AB - that is a nationwide organization, I don't think its that far fetched.
That they COULD be a real threat is not being contested. How they progressed into the threat is what I didn't like. From the moment Hank had his porcelain epiphany, you knew(or assumed) that the last half of the season would Hank vs Walt. And until the end of S5E13/14, that's how the whole season what progressing and it was awesome. Killing Hank certainly was a dramatic surprise, I just don't know that I like that the Nazis replace him as the final boss.

Think of Walt vs Hank, how is it resolved? It's complicated and messy and a challenge to resolve in a short order, which is why it was getting almost 8 episodes. Walt vs Nazis? One M60 and 5 minutes. Gus Fring took more thinking and two whole episodes to dispose of. With how sloppy S5E13 was, I'm suspecting the writers couldn't come up with a way to resolve Walt vs Hank either.

Realize this is nitpicking. The finale was still quite awesome.

Needless

Toe Sucker
If the show ended with only Hank vs Walt.. it would have been incredibly shallow imo. The nazi's were no Gus, but they were still a good enemy to have the show end on. It would have been entirely different if it was just a bunch of nobody skinheads.. but they built up the relationship strongly by having Todd be a huge part of it.

If it was just Hank vs Walt it would have pretty much ended in the desert, with walt in handcuffs, yaay?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There is probably a decent amount of evidence linking Jesse to Walt out there. Unless I missed it, he also didn't pick up any cash. So while he did survive, I imagine his life isn't going to be the greatest.
The video at the AB compound where he confesses everything to Hank and talks about Todd killing the kid. I'm sure the cops look thru everything when they get there.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
I agree deathwing. Plus we have been spoiled with some insane and awesome villains, and uncle jack and his crew were basically a bunch of common thieves who were too dumb to walk away with their newly found 84 million dollars.

spronk

FPS noob
definitely watch the last talking bad, fucking awesome and gus also shows up to chat. conan had the entire BB cast on last week too and it was great.

best walter white moment from the show, he is finally honest with skyler
SW7zkin.jpg

i'm gonna disagree on the soundtrack though, I think baby blue would have been better at the end of the last episode, and line of fire would have been the best song to end the finale with. probably just me though, i just don't like how baby blue sounds

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If the show ended with only Hank vs Walt.. it would have been incredibly shallow imo. The nazi's were no Gus, but they were still a good enemy to have the show end on. It would have been entirely different if it was just a bunch of nobody skinheads.. but they built up the relationship strongly by having Todd be a huge part of it.

If it was just Hank vs Walt it would have pretty much ended in the desert, with walt in handcuffs, yaay?
Why would it have been shallow? Where could the plot have gone if the confrontation in the desert wasn't forced? It's the writers' job to come up with an exciting plot. And Hank was the ultimate adversary for Walt. He couldn't just kill his way out of this one with some fancy science contraption. On top of that, he was unwilling to kill Hank. I think the "final showdown" between Hank and Walt could have been interesting.

Todd does help, but I think they made him creepy to facilitate these last episodes. They realized he'd have to go at one point, so they made him into a character the audience wouldn't miss. Without his creepiness, Todd is just Meth Damon. Almost a Jesse with blonde hair.

When does Todd's creepy side start showing? Honest question, I can't remember. Is it saving the tarantula? If so, maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
There were two parts to the falling out.

1. Gretchen was his lab assistant and Elliot was his co-worker. The three of them founded Grey Matter while working at Los Alamos, which is near Santa Fe. At some point Walt feels insulted by Gretchen's family, and decides to leave Grey Matter. He takes a $5k buyout offer. 20 years later, Grey Matter is part of the nobel prize win, a public company, and worth $2 billion dollars (as founders Gretchen and Elliot would be worth in the $300-500m range), andWalt has respun the past so that Gretchen cheated on him and conspired with Elliot to steal his share of the company, none of which is probably true.
I don't understand this. WHY do people keep saying this? When has Walt ever misrepresented something someone else has done to suit his interpretive needs? It's never happened, not once in the show. Walt's analysis of people, and their plans, is usuallyextremelyaccurate. If anything, his interpretations are usually emotionally detached--even if it's deeply offensive and disturbing to him (His analysis of Gus' action with Hank.)

Walt's main vice was his pride distorting his goals, never his pride distorting what other people were, or what they've done. Again, he's always been extremely analytical about that. If Walt was seriously that offended, from everything we've seen? Most likely he had a good reason to be. (Again, his pride typically distorts his goals in relation to his needs, and his ego in terms of recognition, like when he told Hank Gale was not Heisenberg. But it's never been in his judgement about people, or situations.)

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It wasn't the best Breaking Bad episode but it was still a damn good one, most TV series couldn't even dream of going out that good. The M60 and ricin may have been a bit contrived but the writers have taken liberty in the past with certain things to advance the show and whether you like it or not Walt was supposed to get some revenge before it was all said and done.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Also consider that if the show had been about Gus Fring, he'd have gotten taken out by a nobody chemistry teacher and a paralyzed old man. Part of the point is that once you're at the top, you never know who or what is going to knock you down. Walt deeply underestimated Jack and his gang, and he paid for it. Just like Gus.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand this. WHY do people keep saying this? When has Walt ever misrepresented something someone else has done to suit his interpretive needs? It's never happened, not once in the show. Walt's analysis of people, and their plans, is usuallyextremelyaccurate. If anything, his interpretations are usually emotionally detached--even if it's deeply offensive and disturbing to him (His analysis of Gus' action with Hank.)

Walt's main vice was his pride distorting his goals, never his pride distorting what other people were, or what they've done. Again, he's always been extremely analytical about that. If Walt was seriously that offended, from everything we've seen? Most likely he had a good reason to be. (Again, his pride typically distorts his goals in relation to his needs, and his ego in terms of recognition, like when he told Hank Gale was not Heisenberg. But it's never been in his judgement about people, or situations.)
Correct. I honestly think the Walt/Gretchen thing was more about a love triangle than anything else. Walt doesn't come from money, and what makes him special is his intellect. He *demands* respect for that, and all throughout the show he wants to be perceived as a provider. Gretchen's family was already wealthy, and she didn't need him in that way. When he went on that ski trip and saw how her family lived, it repelled him and forced a split. It just so happened that Elliot was there to pick up the pieces.

It's not as if this doesn't happen all the time in real life. A couple has a falling out, one perceives it to be over whereas another thinks it's an ongoing difficulty and suddenly there's a third person in the picture. They can very easily both be correct: Walt stormed off from the trip, and was bought out when it became apparent that Elliot and Gretchen were a thing and they could no longer work together.

They wronged each other like all former lovers eventually do. Walt moved on, found himself a waitress who really did *need* him as a provider, and settled into that life. Not long after, a special needs child is on the way and he's stuck in a job he can't afford to quit that is far beneath his talents. Cue pilot.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I thought that would have been pretty badass, but him being in "love" with all the equipment was very touching and quite beautiful.
Not quite so beautiful when you consider that all of that lab equipment that was making him feel all misty had, in his last moments on this earth, taken the place of his family. Granted he had done as much as he was able to secure their future before dying, it still strikes me as part of the tragedy.

Why would it have been shallow? Where could the plot have gone if the confrontation in the desert wasn't forced? It's the writers' job to come up with an exciting plot.
I dunno about shallow, but it would certainly come off as much more cliched. Especially for a series that has opted for misdirection as much as this one has.