Breaking Bad

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I love the Jesse character, but how lovable he is really depends where you are in the show. Right now, he's the character with, by far, the most redeemable qualities. But midway through Season 4, when he was getting played like a bitch to betray Walt, I really was hoping he would die. It was just frustrating watching Walt play ten moves ahead with Gustavo, but Jesse be so easily manipulated into being loyal to Gustavo, even though Gustavo had tried to kill him, and Walt had saved him just a couple months before. But then he totally redeemed himself by coming to his senses! And then this season he's just really grown, and become an actual decent human being, which was an immense change from the start--it's hard not to like or admire that (And he did it all, with only changing very subtle elements of the character.)

I think it really speaks to the strength of the actor that he can take the same performance and change it so subtly that he can go from hate/love/hate/love again, that is not easy to do.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Glad I stuck with this. Already halfway through season 2. Jesse's already my favorite character for some damn reason....

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im so jealous of people that are just discovering this show now. they have seasons of awesome to look forward to. whereas they have had me hanging on a thread since 2008.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
im so jealous of people that are just discovering this show now. they have seasons of awesome to look forward to. whereas they have had me hanging on a thread since 2008.
I always feel this way whenever someone tells me they're starting The Wire. I get giddy over thinking about how my first viewing went.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this is one of the few cases where i will say you didnt miss anything by not reading the book, including the character Hank is going to play. Under the dome is a good book with great potential but it falls flat in several areas. especially the ending

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I've tried to get two people at work to watch this show and neither of them got past two episodes. I need a new job.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ive tried the same. Only got one of my friends to become a fan. Another tried and gave up because he said the pilot was "boring"

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Honestly, I don't think the show starts living up to the hype until season three. The first season is particularly slow. It's not until he fucks up Tuco's pad that you get a hint at how great the show will be. Of course, after season four, it becomes one of the greatest television shows ever.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
he fucks up tuco's place in season one. thats what hooked me in. i dunno why people need to watch til the 3rd season to say its the best ever. it clearly establishes that in season two when he meets up with Gus.

iannis

Musty Nester
tbh season one is fairly terrible. You're obviously supposed to like Walt, but season 1 walt isn't any more likeable than late season walt. They're just dislikable for different reasons. And I really DO get the feeling that we're supposed to like walt as this mild mannered, intelligent, underappreciated, diligent family man pushed too far sort common hero. But he just comes off as a complete bitch. Not a decent yet flawed man. A flawed man with only the appearance of decency. Jesse in season 1 isn't any better, but that much was at least entirely intentional.

And maybe that's even the whole point of season 1. Something along the lines of exposition to show that the decent ones are not the ones you expect. And maybe that would be ok if this was a novel, or if they'd done it a bit more gracefully. But it's an incredibly dry presentation and more than a bit belabored to spend over seven hours of scenes setting that up.

If I was trying to get someone into the show, I'd have them start with s2 and treat s1 as a prologue. When Jesse starts to get good is when Breaking Bad starts to get good.

Speaking of, when does the final half season of "Jesse" come back on?

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Pretty much exactly a year after Season 5 started. That's a long fucking break in the middle of a season.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
just finished watching all in a week and season 4 is the shit.

Gus: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

Walt: I won.

Had hard time getting into at first.