Bright (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

khorum

Murder Apologist
At least they didn't brand it Shadowrun.

Cuz that would ruin Shadowrun.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Xt9VzFK.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
All that money Netflix spent on original content this year ... you're lookin' at the hole they tossed $90 million of it into.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This starts tomorrow. It looks pretty good from the previews. Hopefully it is as I like a good twist on the cop format.

Then again, the reviews for this are really bad. Ouch...

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They're already saying they're working on a sequel. Trying to answer those bad reviews with a confident face.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, this might suck if it's trying to be a D&D diversity movie. Shit, it might suck at just being fantasy movie. I don't think it looks terrible, not great but maybe interesting.

"Dungeons and Dragons-style fantasy, with its species-specific stats and attributes, is a pretty suspect well to draw from if you're trying to pull off some kind of modern-day race relations metaphor."
"Neither a satisfying treaty on diversity and 'race' wars, nor a fulfilling fantasy, it derails at the end of the first act with a confusing moment of anti-heroism, and never recovers."

Seems like standard SJW language from critics...

"Bright has some merit, especially if you're into magic wands, explosions, gun fights and Will Smith, but perhaps the most disappointing thing about the film is that it could have been so much more."
Well, three out of four ain't bad? Though, as a parent, I will say I like Will Smith's clean rap!

spronk

FPS noob
29% on Rotten Tomatoes and dropping, 31/100 on metacritic. Also now people are saying Max Landis (the writer) has raped a lot of chicks, i thought he was gay always from his pics lol

buktwX8.jpg

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Based on the terrible reviews we decided to do a group watch of this tomorrow evening. Seems like it may be riff-tastic.

• 1Worf

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, 6-7/10. There was some plot inconsistency but nothing really terrible IMO. The negative reviews are just stemming from critics wanting it to embrace a social narrative and it largely avoids it. No one likes orcs, elves are super upper class and humans just go along with it. Fresh prince ends up playing himself for the most part, orcs partner comes off as Drax lite.

Like the one negative review says, if you like magic, guns and explosions this is a solid movie. I'd watch the sequel.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
29% on Rotten Tomatoes and dropping, 31/100 on metacritic. Also now people are saying Max Landis (the writer) has raped a lot of chicks, i thought he was gay always from his pics lol

buktwX8.jpg

Ah the fuckin' weirdo from the Red Letter Media video.

• 1Worf

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
30min in... ugh this is rough.

most urban fantasy, then sci-fi fantasy of Shadowrun. heavier on lord of the rings, then the sci-fi of shadowrun.

• 1Solidarity

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not as terrible as people are making it sound, but the second I saw how they basically made Orcs the mexicans/blacks of this universe, and the Elves are the rich white folk, I knew it was going to rustle some jimmies.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I get how if someone was getting a shadowrun vibe from the trailers, watching it would be a let down.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
It's not shadowrun. caliane is right. It's Lord of the Rings EndofwatchMeetsTrainingDayTwinTowers! However I had fun watching it, check your political baggage of 2017 at the door.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just watched it and enjoyed it. I don't think that Elves and Orcs were specifically white and blacks. I agree that some parallel was there though. I think it felt much more nuanced than that and they did a good job of using race to show you the difference.

• 1Solidarity