Bright (2017)

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I think that's why it got such bad reviews, there are a lot of reviews basically complaining that it was too nuanced. They wanted it to show the beauty of the orcs rising above it all because they represent PoCs. Instead the orc protagonist gets along by going along with the system and ends up getting respect from orc and human alike.

Which is stupid, I just thought it was a fun fantasy flick set in the modern world.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
This was way better then I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed it and I hope they make another.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

I just watched it and enjoyed it. I don't think that Elves and Orcs were specifically white and blacks. I agree that some parallel was there though. I think it felt much more nuanced than that and they did a good job of using race to show you the difference.
yeah. that parallel is easy to see. I would argue the orcs being in Hoodies was a huge mistake. Like, the movie starts with the hoodrats in Will Smiths neighborhood, and then the latino gang...
how does that even work?

The Elves were... Elves. rich, decadent, superhumans. thats just elves being elves.

The story was very short and self contained. As noted, training day..
There was alot of poor writing. Dialogue was rough. Acting rougher. Especially among the cops, early on.
All 3 of the "main" characters were kindof totally unlikable. Will smiths character is an asshole. Smith not doing anything to make the guy redeemable. Orc character is played a bit too simple. His motivations, etc. never was enough emotion showed for what was happening to him. Elf chick spends 99% of the time speaking gibberish.

And the ending sucked.
As well as bad music.

Its not great. I can't recommend it.
Wish it was better.

spronk

FPS noob
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Man, this movie is a shame. It's so goddamn boring. The setting and world have so much potential and it's just a fucking boring story. Will Smith's character is so flippant that he's completely uninteresting as a protagonist. All the character does is pretend to care about social equality while actually not giving a shit about anything, including his own life. Everything he says is meaningless because in every scene he just proves he doesn't actually give a shit. He's a walking contradiction.

The movie had really high production value and some great visuals. But holy fuck is it boring.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
...All the character does is pretend to care about social equality while actually not giving a shit about anything, including his own life. Everything he says is meaningless ...

So true to life SJW.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

No. Not at all. It's more like someone saying something because they just want to be left the fuck alone but also don't want people to think they are a sociopath.

This movie isn't a social commentary in the least. Or if it was trying to be one it did a terrible job. The characters are just very poorly written. They aren't compelling.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
It felt like every scene could have been done just a touch better from a directing, editing or writing standpoint.

And the movie completely cut its own balls off with the interrogation scene of the claymore wielding bum by giving the plot and badguys with shitty exposition and a liter of cola.

But I enjoyed the visuals. So, it has that going for it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend and I just watched, and while we enjoyed it, we definitely had some complaints, especially feeling like the ending was pretty weak. She didn't mind Will Smith, but all he did was play the same character he's always played. I think just replacing him would have made the movie quite a bit better. Awesome setting and visuals tho, and pretty good fight scenes.

Also:

Will Smith being revealed as a bright at the end was really bad. I knew one of the cops would be a bright, but I thought for sure that it would be Nick. I didn't just dislike it because it wasn't what I was expecting, it just didn't fit Ward's character arc at all

Ultimately tho, decent movie, and if it had come out in the 90s at the height of Will-mania it would probably be #1 in the box office for the first couple weeks. This line from the previous page:

"Bright has some merit, especially if you're into magic wands, explosions, gun fights and Will Smith, but perhaps the mostdisappointing thing about the film is that it could have been so much more."

Was really accurate. If you want to see Will Smith get in a gun fight with some orcs while saying smart ass one-liners to his straight man partner, this is the movie for you.

spronk

FPS noob
Definitely was interesting, but yeah I'd agree Will Smith was poorly cast in this one. I could rattle off a dozen actors who probably would have been far more interesting for the role. Story really kinda puttered along, didn't feel like a good ending, more like a cliffhanger for the end of episode 1 of a 6-10 episode show. This woulda worked far better as a TV show.

On the other hand the critics reception is ludicrous, while this is no oscar winner it deserves better than the 31% / 3.2 out of 10 its sitting at on RT. On the other hand they spent $90m making this movie which is a bit crazy, it feels like a $30m action movie. Someone was getting paid way too much for those boring LA gangbanger sets.

Worth a watch for any fan of action movies and/or orcs, there were some nice stripper titties in the middle so that helped bridge the boring parts but overall just an average movie, nothing great but nothing awful.

Alien Nation did the concept much better two decades ago.

• 1Like

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
Found this quite watchable as well, some cringe moments when thought was going to get all preachy but it didn't go balls deep on it. Overall was decent enough for myself to watch a sequel when/if done.

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
pretty scene for scene predictable but neat none the less. I liked the idea of fantasy races in a modern day world, but the later half of the movie went south pretty fast lol

either way, a solid reminder that dawn olivieri is god damn hot af

• 1Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Wife and I don't have very high standards when it comes to most fantasy based shows so we really liked this. We especially liked some of the urban/contemporary tie-ins as it helped with the world building.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

No. Not at all. It's more like someone saying something because they just want to be left the fuck alone but also don't want people to think they are a sociopath.

This movie isn't a social commentary in the least. Or if it was trying to be one it did a terrible job. The characters are just very poorly written. They aren't compelling.
yeah. Like, he calls his wife and tells her to get out..
She gets up, immediately, and leaves all her friends to die. lol.

And we never get a reunion of him and his wife. Or, the daughter...
Just a clapped during the crowd shot... shorter then Tikka gets..

Khane

The movie fell short in so many respects.

Especially with the family. The first scene in the movie is meant to create the idea that his character is a family man and he loves his little girl. And then we literally never see them again until the final scene other than a brief phone call to his wife telling her to leave. In fact, why the fuck did he even tell her to leave? It wasn't like anyone knew where he lived

There is no plot or character development at all. Stuff just happens.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Watched this with the wife last night as we're in the mid season showhole.

Yeah, there's no ShadowRun here in terms of story. It's straight up Urban Fantasy Orc and Elf style. You get Will Smith , once again, playing Will Smith. Which if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy this. It does have a VERY strong Alien Nation vibe, but wasn't as good a movie. The ending didn't even really feel like an ending, but more like most movies now a days it's just setting up for a sequel (which my wife read has already been green lit). The only real "twist" was foreshadowed in a couple lines which made the reveal very anti-climactic.

Yes the gangs you see are mostly Latino (aside from the few in the first scene). The Orcs are pushed mostly into the role of being African American, down to the Fubu-esque attire many of them sport.

I'd give it around a 6/10 just good enough not to call it bad. And probably a 7 or maybe 8 if you consider it to be a cable/streaming movie and not compare it to cinematic productions.