Bright (2017)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i bet the actress that played Tikka was inspired by Milla Jovovich's character in The Fifth Element.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'd give it around a 6/10 just good enough not to call it bad. And probably a 7 or maybe 8 if you consider it to be a cable/streaming movie and not compare it to cinematic productions.

Yeah but it is a cinematic production. It has a much bigger budget than you see in a cable movie and was made to utilize Dolby ATMOS sound. And it has a director with big feature film experience. Unfortunately that director is David Ayer.

Goonsquad Officer
I enjoyed it, was good, not amazing. reminded me of shadowrun. minus the cyberpunk elements.

It was nice seeing just about everyone in the setting that parroted diversity be absolute hypocrits about it.

I liked how the wand was considered a lottery ticket by everyone. grab it for your one in a million shot of getting super powers.

also all three of the heroes were outcasts. unblooded, inferni who quit team evil, and will smith did...something? the chineese cop lady said "no one else will ride with you" not sure what he did to get outcast but he apparently was.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
5/10 was dissappointed.

Opening act got me hyped thought it was going to be low fantasy training day.

Then they found the macguffin and I thought it was going to be like "The Raid" or "Dredd" where two cops would have fight through a gang infested area.

But then it turned into typical late 90's early 20's action garbage. The fight scenes where dull the plot turned nonsensical and basically stopped mattering half way through.

It could of been a gritty dark cop movie with an outstanding lore but it turned into a forgettable action movie.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
i bet the actress that played Tikka was inspired by Milla Jovovich's character in The Fifth Element.

I thought she was basically a direct ripoff of that character in fact. Same mannerisms. Same haircut. Same style of gibberish, child speak.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i got to thinking, the movie said the 9 races faced off against the dark lord and orcs 2000 years ago.

Soooo does that mean Jesus wasn't a thing? No Christianity? But there was a church, but it wasn't used as a church but the Orc HQ. There were no christian symbols anywhere, all pagan - in fact the church outside was decorated with those weird oxen skulls and stuff.

Did WW2 occur? Was there a German Hitler? Did the holocaust happen against the Elves instead of the Jews? Did slavery happen? With orcs?

Why do all the elves want to drive lambos and ferarris? Thats kinda weird.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The "in crowd" across multiple platforms is talking about this movie. The marketing system they used was a great success and there have been articles written on it as a very major game-changer in the movie business.

I don't know about the film though-- or anything about Netflix distro for that matter.

Caliane

i got to thinking, the movie said the 9 races faced off against the dark lord and orcs 2000 years ago.

Soooo does that mean Jesus wasn't a thing? No Christianity? But there was a church, but it wasn't used as a church but the Orc HQ. There were no christian symbols anywhere, all pagan - in fact the church outside was decorated with those weird oxen skulls and stuff.

Did WW2 occur? Was there a German Hitler? Did the holocaust happen against the Elves instead of the Jews? Did slavery happen? With orcs?

Why do all the elves want to drive lambos and ferarris? Thats kinda weird.
Dark lord was 2000 years ago. Orcs live in a church. Orcs joined the dark lord 2000 years ago. Answered your own question. The Dark lord was Jesus.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Boy I really wanted to like this. World is awesome, even if it is basically just a Shadowrun knockoff, had a neat overall story, but dear god was it just a mess.

There's not actual rhyme or reason to the way the scenes are strung together and you just kind of teleport from location to location and set piece to set piece. Even the action is like this, with no continuity between shots at all and just is mostly just a jumbled mess.

No idea why they picked Will Smith for this? He's basically just playing himself, and his humor or shtick or whatever you want to call it feels so out of place in what is otherwise trying to be a mostly serious movie.

It reminds me so much of Suicide Squad that I'm convinced Ayer just doesn't actually know how to make a movie any more than I do, or any random dork does.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
The "in crowd" across multiple platforms is talking about this movie. The marketing system they used was a great success and there have been articles written on it as a very major game-changer in the movie business.

I don't know about the film though-- or anything about Netflix distro for that matter.

what the fuck does that even mean lmao

the more i think about this movie the more i think it's bad, it's literally just a movie littered with unanswered questions and plotholes

• 1Worf

Rime

<Donor>
Movie was okay. Should have had Jakoby be the Bright/get the wand, instead of Will Smith.

Amuses me to no end that it has a 30% rating from Critics, but 90% from audiences. Gee, I wonder why.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
We watched it in a group and overall we liked it. We fully intended to rip into the movie MST3k style but spent most of the time quiet and actually enjoying the film aside from the occasional "damn elves are badasses" comment.

The overall story of cop + partner that encounters macguffin is fairly standard. One person in the group kept bringing up AlienNation, which was a fair charge since you could easily replace Joel Edgerton's character with Mandy Patenkin and call it a day. The look and feel of the orcs was quite well done, mostly through old fashioned prosthetic makeup but in a way that allowed them the freedom to have proper facial expressions. The people who make Star Trek Discovery could learn from this I feel...

What floored us collectively was the world building. Holy crap that was awesome. Lots of stuff in the background about the Dark Lord and the general history of the world without resorting to full-on exposition. Not only that but there's a lot of details like the dragon you see flying up by the moon in one shot and the presence of the centaur police in the background of a couple scenes. Of course it makes perfect sense to have centaur's on the police force in place of mounted cops but the effect was done very well and completely understated.

I feel there is a much better story to be told in this world than the one we got. Clearly the Dark Lord is gonna be an issue, but even beyond that big bad there's plenty to mine here. We know of Elves, Humans, Orcs and Centaurs... who were the other 5 of the 9 races? I saw one short guy who may have been a dwarf/goblin/gnome, but he could have just been a little person. Would have been nice to see more of elf-town and the ultra luxury that seems to be afforded the racial 1%ers.

Clearly there is a lot of social justice stuff writ large here. Elves are the rich and famous, Orcs are the poor people who have shit jobs and are disproportionally represented in the military, yet they are not in the police. Obviously the Orcs sided with the Dark Lord 2000 years ago, but it was an Orc who led the armies of the 9 races to defeat him thus is seems a bit strange that people still have a lot of orc hatred.

Can Brights do anything without a wand? Where do they come from? I liked how they treated magic as a complete game changer but I would have hoped for a bit of 'low level' magic that didn't need a wand to power it. Was interesting that the wand seemed to exact a toll on her when she used it, rather like 'drain' in Shadowrun, but clearly she was able to recover as we see no signs of the black corruption stuff when she walks through the crowd later.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I really liked this movie, it isn't perfect but it is far cry better than much of the other shit being squirted out.

7/10, I was a hardcore Shadowrun geek back in the day, I like this twist on the 'mythos' even though the two are not related.

leeloo-dallas-multipass-gif.gif

+

tenor.gif

=

bright06-585x390.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I thought it was fun. I would have preferred a bit more information on the mystical side of things. Like what the hell did Tikka do to that assassin.

But meh it was as a nice change from the boring high fantasy schtick.

• 2Solidarity

Cybsled

I just watched it. I enjoyed it, would watch a sequel. There is a lot of potential with the premise and a ton of open threads they could explore.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
31% and 89% are both wrong tho. I'd say this movie is pretty firmly 75%.