Bright (2017)

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Gangster Orcs had me crack me up all the time.

Earl-dinosaurs-133535_600_532.gif

Qhue

Trump's Staff
that and the other usual places.

For a movie that premieres on Netflix you have to be a class A total cheapskate to pirate it. I mean we're talking Ebenezer Scrooge married to Shylock...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie was 1000% more entertaining than I thought it would be.

They built a world that resembled our own, but still made me believe that there could be things like champions, armies of the light/evil and dark lords. I loved nearly every moment of this film, which was really poor timing on my part because I put it on as background noise for when I went to bed. Ended up watching the whole thing.

The social commentary did not bother me. I did not see orcs as black people, because there were already black people in the movie. I did not see elves as rich, rich people because there's really only one shot that seems to allude to that. The orcs were orcs and the elves were elves. Humans were smooshed inbetween them and had their own seperate sub-races. I think anyone who looks for political commentary is grasping at straws and claiming its a haystack.

I actually really liked Will Smith's character. He really came across as this former badass who just wanted to settle down with his wife and daughter.

The orcs collect themselves in clans/tribes (like the Fogteeth) and not gangs. Heavy metal is orc traditional singing.

The Inferni (dark elves) were just elves. No black eyes or gray skin like so many other tropes. Just regular elves with different motivations. Indistinguishable from regular elves.

I also really liked the Federal Officer Elf, and the fact he was wearing a gorget - a symbol from around the time of the Napoleonic Wars/American Revolution that was worn by officers. It made me think that he had been working for the U.S. Government since it began and he was like 400 years old.

The only thing I did not like was the ending. Fucking Rodriguez had like four kids and a pregnant wife and all I could think of was how broken that family was going to be now. Really soured the entertainment for me.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
More fun than I expected after mainstream reviews. 6-7/10. I think general consensus here is fair. 1) The world has a lot of potential 2) I'd like to see more, and 3) the second half of the movie was kind of a mess and missed a lot of opportunity through mediocre script/acting/direction/choreography.

Hopefully more competent hands can do better in the next installment.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wasn't interested in the movie. I have to admit that I found it entertaining though. 6-7/10 sounds right to me. Better than that new Star Wars film for sure.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I liked the lack of exposition about the world and it's backstory. They dropped little hints here and there through dialogue and scenery, which I think was perfect. I watched it with someone who had never heard of it and had no idea what it was about. It left a lot to the imagination, and I prefer that to a 3-minute Lord of the Rings style intro flashback.

• 2Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I agree. It also gives them a lot more openings to do whatever they want with the sequel (and probably a third... netflix's first franchise? it's more likely than you think).

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I agree. It also gives them a lot more openings to do whatever they want with the sequel (and probably a third... netflix's first franchise? it's more likely than you think).

Please do! This was a fun world, and Will Smith was fucking funny and great in it.

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Watched this a 2nd time and it was even better, I caught a few things I missed the first time. Edgerton was great and hilarious

• 1Solidarity

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally got around to watching this with my gal tonight. We enjoyed it. The world was interesting and we want to know more about it. And the Inferni were badass. I'd watch a movie just about them. 4/5 for novel entertainment. Decent palete cleanser after that new Cloverfield movie.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I watched it last night, really enjoyed it. Was surprised to read about it later and see all the horrible reviews.

I actually really liked the background of the world that was created and would love to see a sequel that didn't have Will Smith in it or even the orc (who carried the movie in terms of character).

From just the random world-creation stuff they threw around in the movie you could come up with a dozen plotlines that make sense and would be compelling that have nothing to do with the LAPD, Shield of Light, the magic fed etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I really wanted to like this but like others have mentioned... it just leaves so much shit out that had me going, "??????" Like okay so Elves are rich faggots, Orcs are black people and there are apparently other races about? The bitch that blinked sideways in the club is some other totally unmentioned race I guess. The dragon mentioned above too lol. They really needed to flesh more of the world out. Because when the Shield of Light guy says that the Inferni want to raise the Dark Lord and all it takes is 3 Brights and 3 magic wands and apparently there are enough Brights around to warrant an entire division of the FBI devoted to them then what gives? That doesn't sound like an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish.

How many wands are there? Why are the wands so important?

All in all it did have some good moments though.
I actually thought that orcs were closer to white trash or even juggalos than blacks.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This might be the best Honest Trailer yet:

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users