Bright (2017)

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
It was a rehash of the dysfunctional buddy cop movie as far as the story goes, so I agree with Chaos. I think Ladro probably meant the back drop and world building were fresh. Shadowrun style worlds haven't been a major media IP outside of gaming.

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
Will Smith discovering that he's a bright isn't supposed to be a revelation to the audience because as others have said, it's alluded to several times. We just didn't how he'd ultimately wield that power. I just don't understand why Nick never said anything given what he was told by the Shield of Light disciple.

Movie was entertaining, sets were impressive. I just hope they elaborate on some of the lore for the sequel. Shit, it's a better movie than the new Star Wars and that mess has received nearly universal critical praise.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It was a rehash of the dysfunctional buddy cop movie as far as the story goes, so I agree with Chaos. I think Ladro probably meant the back drop and world building were fresh. Shadowrun style worlds haven't been a major media IP outside of gaming.
Yeah I think that's why I find it so disappointing. They took what could have been a cool world, something pretty unique in film as well, and they watered it down into a boilerplate Will Smith movie. I'm not too good for a Will Smith movie, he's a funny charming guy, I'd probably fuck him. It's just a total waste of the opportunity though, and makes for a mediocre movie when it could have been something special.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Was watching it while doing other things, so only paid maybe 75% attention to it. Having said that, I enjoyed it and holy nerd rage a lot of these complaints are terrible

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Movie was pretty good for what it was I thought. I’m glad they didn’t go into some exposition about why there’s different races. Just having them be present like it’s no big deal (random shots of the centaurs but never really focusing on them) made them being around feel more normal. Yeah it was cheesy in some spots but the action was much cooler than I was expecting, Jakoby was a likable character I thought. Will Smith was probably the least interesting part of it. I’m definitely down to see what they do with a sequel.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Brights breadcrumb trail was seen a mil away with the fresh Prince of bright air, the world building was nice, even though it's basic orcs elves and shit... It wasn't ham fisted.

What I didn't understand is will Smith can't afford to live in a house next to some gangster dindus on a cop AND, Nurses salary?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What world building? That's distinctly what this movie lacked.

I am glad it got greenlit for a sequel though. I really hope that's where we finally get some world building.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed this way more than I expected based upon the trailers. This was a solid flick and I will watch the finale.

Cybsled

Brights breadcrumb trail was seen a mil away with the fresh Prince of bright air, the world building was nice, even though it's basic orcs elves and shit... It wasn't ham fisted.

What I didn't understand is will Smith can't afford to live in a house next to some gangster dindus on a cop AND, Nurses salary?

Elves are gentrifying the neighborhood. It started with a Mirkwood boutique coffee shop and artisan mythril aged cheese shops.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm kind of at a loss for how i think the world at large should have been handled. i mean, the setting basically demanded some kind of voiceover that explained... SOMETHING in the first 3 minutes. but on the other hand, i really appreciate just being dropped into a small story in a big world.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It was better than I expected. Overall it seemed a lot like Alien Nation (if you remember that old series) with the primary difference being that the human partner wasn't constantly ignorant of the alien shit going on.

They definitely should have at least had a scene with a kid in a history class to explain what had happened and how long ago. Will being a bright was telegraphed from a mile away but was still dumb. Probably the worst part of the movie. Literally anything but that would have been better. Jakoby as a bright, jakoby immune to magic, will smiff blowing up, dark lord returning. Anything.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would watch a sequel but the move definitely needed exposition explaining the universe at the beginning instead of graffiti. They cribbed a lot from Fifth Element they should have copied the beginning too instead of setting up training day sequences.

Will Smith discovering that he's a bright isn't supposed to be a revelation to the audience because as others have said, it's alluded to several times. We just didn't how he'd ultimately wield that power. I just don't understand why Nick never said anything given what he was told by the Shield of Light disciple.

Why would he believe some crazy dude covered in shit? Heck, there was an awful lot going on that day probably wouldn't have been top of mind ;)

To me I think the movie suggested the Orc far more than Smith.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Elves are gentrifying the neighborhood. It started with a Mirkwood boutique coffee shop and artisan mythril aged cheese shops.

Honestly, it really looked like the "good" areas were reserved for the Elves, so Will Smiff living in a shitty area even on big public servant/nurse income sort of makes sense. Like quite literally humans are middle class with Elves as upper and Orcs as lower.

Not heavy on the world building though, even with all the Dark Lord graffiti. Even a two minute discussion of recent events would have done wonders. The crazy barbarian guy with the claymore would have been a decent spot to give that a go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The city and integration were nice, it reminded me of "Almost Human", i said it in the tlj thread, the asian elf is the dead sister in tlj, but thats why she just gets to push a button in tlj and jump around in Bright, her English is zero.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
i'm kind of at a loss for how i think the world at large should have been handled. i mean, the setting basically demanded some kind of voiceover that explained... SOMETHING in the first 3 minutes. but on the other hand, i really appreciate just being dropped into a small story in a big world.

dislike walls of text in the beginning of movies to explain. good movies do it without the text, introducing you seamlessly to the world... not that this was really a good movie, but some fresh ideas and at least trying on some points.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
dislike walls of text in the beginning of movies to explain. good movies do it without the text, introducing you seamlessly to the world... not that this was really a good movie, but some fresh ideas and at least trying on some points.

Yeah the voice over exposition is a tired cliche, but certain stories almost require an explanation of the world we as an audience are entering

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, it really looked like the "good" areas were reserved for the Elves, so Will Smiff living in a shitty area even on big public servant/nurse income sort of makes sense. Like quite literally humans are middle class with Elves as upper and Orcs as lower.

Not heavy on the world building though, even with all the Dark Lord graffiti. Even a two minute discussion of recent events would have done wonders. The crazy barbarian guy with the claymore would have been a decent spot to give that a go.

What recent events? The dark lord led his army like 2000 years ago and 9 races banded together to stop him. The orcs sided with the dark lord and are forever scum now. Got all that from the movie.

Elves seem to have the most brights and there fore most magic. So they are the top tier.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Really, the movie's much better off for not having explained everything.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
you know, one thing this movie did really well, albeit probably not on purpose (at least they way they'd hoped) -- there's a LOT of people talking about this movie.