Bright (2017)

Malkav

French Madman
Meh you see Bright Smith coming from a mile away in the movie.
You have Fed Elf saying Bright humans are one in a million.
And you have the crazy from Shield of Light telling Jakoby in orcish that his partner is special.
That was pretty obvious to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Meh you see Bright Smith coming from a mile away in the movie.
You have Fed Elf saying Bright humans are one in a million.
And you have the crazy from Shield of Light telling Jakoby in orcish that his partner is special.
That was pretty obvious to me.

yeah I saw it coming too, I think because it was cliche, but I think that Jakoby as the bright would have been organic to the story

spronk

FPS noob
I was a bit surprised they didn't go the retro D&D route of orcs being magic resistant and unable to actually wield any sort of magic, that woulda made a lot more sense to me

Caliane

dang that would have been a great idea. orcs can pick up the wand without exploding. Could even been a secret. Wands are rare, and racism, and elvish dickary could mean no orc in history had ever actually touched a wand before.

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah, it was ok. 6/10 is appropriate. This felt better suited for a series
rather than a 2 hour movie where they tried to cram all the world building in. Someone previously mentioned it was basically Training Day with DnD which is pretty accurate IMO. It's worth a watch but honestly I was confused most of the time about what was going on in the world. The story itself is straightforward but some more back story on why the fuck there are elves, orcs, and magic would have been nice.

Also, what the fuck at the random dragon flying in the air over LA in one of the aerial shots but no mention of them. I feel like that would have been a bigger issue to deal with.

bggyks2esg601.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I really wanted to like this but like others have mentioned... it just leaves so much shit out that had me going, "??????" Like okay so Elves are rich faggots, Orcs are black people and there are apparently other races about? The bitch that blinked sideways in the club is some other totally unmentioned race I guess. The dragon mentioned above too lol. They really needed to flesh more of the world out. Because when the Shield of Light guy says that the Inferni want to raise the Dark Lord and all it takes is 3 Brights and 3 magic wands and apparently there are enough Brights around to warrant an entire division of the FBI devoted to them then what gives? That doesn't sound like an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish.

How many wands are there? Why are the wands so important?

All in all it did have some good moments though.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Just finished this. It went about as expected, it was decent, not great. I sincerely hope they expand on this universe given the strong showing it has had with subscribers.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I really wanted to like this but like others have mentioned... it just leaves so much shit out that had me going, "??????" Like okay so Elves are rich faggots, Orcs are black people and there are apparently other races about? The bitch that blinked sideways in the club is some other totally unmentioned race I guess. The dragon mentioned above too lol. They really needed to flesh more of the world out. Because when the Shield of Light guy says that the Inferni want to raise the Dark Lord and all it takes is 3 Brights and 3 magic wands and apparently there are enough Brights around to warrant an entire division of the FBI devoted to them then what gives? That doesn't sound like an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish.

can't use magic without a wand was my takeaway. who knows how many wands exist

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
And the wands are tied to... elf language? Or the language of who created them? Or it's all contrived bullshit!

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well wands can't be that rare since the evil Inferni elf gave her wand to one of her underlings to kill her sister. Because that makes sense as a thing someone would do.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well wands can't be that rare since the evil Inferni elf gave her wand to one of her underlings to kill her sister. Because that makes sense as a thing someone would do.

lol. Here, take my priceless artifact that I need to maintain any semblence of power that I have (FBI Elf said she was vulnerable without it) to go and kill my dumbass kid sister who shouldn't be expecting it from you, a family friend.

Coulda went with a Glock .40 ya dig? Added bonus of the dumb skank not being able to steal it from you and nuke your house with it or make you into a spider web thing.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think wands are pretty rare. Early in the movie, they said they only need 3 wands to bring about the dark one. But maybe that was 3 more, not 3 total.

Hmm...

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
My take away was that Brights could do magic without a wand but more on a local or small scale. Wands are basically Magic super chargers.

The evil elf leashing the wand to herself so it couldn't leave a certain radius around her and doing the force pull to collect it later in the movie. This also gives some logic to her sending it with her assassin because the wand would give her the edge theoretically over the wandless Bright sister. Either that or the couple instances of non wand usage of magic are still wand based and it was pointless to send the wand because the sister couldn't use magic anyway so why send your uber artifact. The only thing that was clear is that wands are very rare otherwise I'm assuming the Inferni would have raised Sauron considering they had three Brights at least before Fifth Element sister went rogue.

Edit: Just thought about it and there is one scene where magic (I think) is used completely independent of the wand. When Evil Elf gets shot up by Jakoby she is able to heal herself while the wand is in the possession of the good guys,

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I was making a joke about the story. Everything in the movie indicated wands were rare. Which makes her giving it to evil henchman 03 ridiculous.

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
shoulda been a 13 episode series that's a fantasy version of Training Day, axe all the fantasy shit other than the fact that the world has elves and orcs.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

In the police beating scenes, there are centaurs too. The shield of light guy says there are 9 races who stood together against dark lord or whatever. We saw..Orcs, Elves, Humans, Centaurs and fairies?

Seems like only the Orcs/Elves/Humans though are major players in the modern world. I agree though, this would have been better suited to a series. It's biggest problem was it didn't have enough time to explain how the fuck this all came about.

Screen_Shot_2017_12_22_at_7.34.54_AM.png

I think Orcs=black people was a little too on the nose for people to be comfortable with. All the other races seem to get along, and blend in, or even excel (Elves) but Orcs are the assholes no one likes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
It doesn’t help that all the orcs literally dress like the towers crew from The Wire.

Orcs head to toe in FUBU jerseys. But meanwhile smith livestock next to a black gang wearing the same shit.

I enjoyed it for hat it was and am glad to see Netflix investing in things like this that are,original projects, unlike hollywood that does nothing but sequels and spin offs

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ladro

Anomaly
I enjoyed it for hat it was and am glad to see Netflix investing in things like this that are,original projects, unlike hollywood that does nothing but sequels and spin offs

This right here. I'd rather someone take a risk and have it be mediocre than see another fucking rehash of the same old story. Cinema used to be like that, not sure what the fuck happened. Dollar signs I guess...