Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2.67 star(s) Rating: 2.67/5 9 Votes
Title: Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Genre: Comedy, Crime

First aired: 2013-09-17

Creator: Daniel J. Goor, Michael Schur

Cast: Andy Samberg, Andre Braugher, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Chelsea Peretti, Stephanie Beatriz, Joe Lo Truglio, Joel McKinnon Miller, Dirk Blocker

Overview: A single-camera ensemble comedy following the lives of an eclectic group of detectives in a New York precinct, including one slacker who is forced to shape up when he gets a new boss.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's only one episode in, but I'm comfortable saying this is the best new sitcom since The League(or something else, can't really think of any good new sitcoms). Awesome cast and it was funny as hell. If it's like other comedies and they take 15 or so episodes to really find their groove I have really high hopes.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't have called it great. I'll watch it but I'm not drooling for the next episode.

It was better than Dads, though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's only one episode in, but I'm comfortable saying this is the best new sitcom since The League(or something else, can't really think of any good new sitcoms). Awesome cast and it was funny as hell. If it's like other comedies and they take 15 or so episodes to really find their groove I have really high hopes.
Well, you've convinced me to give it a try by invoking The League!

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I was undecided being that I really don't find Andy to be all that fun to watch. Will have to check this out.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The guys behind the scenes are those from Parks & Recreation; if you squint you can see the similarities. "What if Jerry was young enough to be in love with a coworker? What if Tom was fully a woman and the secretary? What if we gave April a gun (shivers)?"

By wide consensus its the best comedy of the Fall, but I want to see how much of the writing staff ends up being Parks (yay!) and how much ends up being The Office (boo!) before calling it appointment TV.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
By wide consensus its the best comedy of the Fall, but I want to see how much of the writing staff ends up being Parks (yay!) and how much ends up being The Office (boo!) before calling it appointment TV.
The Office was as good as Parks and Recs for a long time before it crapped out. The 3 seasons towards the end shouldn't taint the whole show.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The 3 seasons towards the end shouldn't taint the whole show.
The guys writing the early seasons have long since moved on to other things. The guys writing the terrible later seasons have not, and are the most likely to have moved to this show.

It may not be a problem. But it could be, which is why I am cautiously optimistic.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no idea about behind the scenes shit except that the first episode was written by Michael Schur who created P&R and I think adapted The Office(?), and Dan Goor who wrote for P&R, Conan, and Daily Show.

Schur's track record is hard to argue with. Parks took a full season to really click, and The Office really didn't get hilarious until it got out of the UK storylines. This one started off pretty damn funny, if it steps up down the line like those two shows did it will be great. Takes a while to establish the best way to use the characters and how they should act, anyone remember how Troy started on Community? So until that stuff is established the humor is reliant almost entirely on writing and acting. Luckily they have Andre Braugher, Terry Crews, Jo LoTruglia, Chelsea Peretti, and Andy Samberg to deliver their lines. I was most worried about Samberg, but he managed to avoid being too much of a caricature in the first episode.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. For those of you that value my opinion more highly than Grimmlokk's, you are now free to watch this program.

I kid, I kid! Seriously though, I was worried the same thing about Samberg, but he did a good job, and the new Captain was perfect in the way they had him respond to Samberg's shenanigans. The angry Latina (Rita? fuck, I forget now) kind of turns me on for some reason too.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Parks took a full season to really click, and The Office really didn't get hilarious until it got out of the UK storylines. This one started off pretty damn funny, if it steps up down the line like those two shows did it will be great. Takes a while to establish the best way to use the characters and how they should act, anyone remember how Troy started on Community? So until that stuff is established the humor is reliant almost entirely on writing and acting. Luckily they have Andre Braugher, Terry Crews, Jo LoTruglia, Chelsea Peretti, and Andy Samberg to deliver their lines. I was most worried about Samberg, but he managed to avoid being too much of a caricature in the first episode.
I'd say one of the strengths of The Office and P&R was that they didn't rigidly define their characters and gave the actors a chance to figure out how they wanted to play them. Looking at the first seasons of either of those shows, and it's clear they were just cribbing what came before. Leslie was practically Michael in a pantsuit in the first season and now it'd be difficult to draw too many comparisons between them. That gives me some confidence that even if this show isn't amazing now, it should be much improved at some point towards the middle of the season.

spronk

FPS noob
The initial few episodes of The Office (first was UK word-for-word script clone) and first season of P&R were both shitty, so I'll hold judgement on B99 for now. But yeah, the first episode was just not that funny. I liked Samberg on SNL but he was pretty bad here, like he was playing a shitty version of Archer. So far this doesn't compare well to Reno 911, but guess wait and see.

next week it goes up against SHIELD though, so ... yah

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Reno 911 is better, but is it still on the air? Haven't seen a new ep of that in years. I finally saw it the pilot of brooklyn99, it's good enough to watch more.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Episode 2 was really funny, all the way from "Which one is your locker and which one is the garbage dump in the Philippines" all the way to "Daaaamn son!!"

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Episode 2 was really funny, all the way from "Which one is your locker and which one is the garbage dump in the Philippines" all the way to "Daaaamn son!!"
Was going to give this a shot, but thanks to your post I don't have to. Thanks for saving me an hour of my life.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Just watched the first two episodes and really liked it.

I had nfc who Samberg was so went in mostly on the strength of Crews being on the main cast but the whole lot gel together quite nicely already.

Loved the thumbs up turning downwards into a raspberry and then an explosion, prime gif material!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"What are those two round things on the bottom of it?"

"Oh that's a butt."

Those 2 guys are going to be fun side joke characters. 1-2 lines an episode.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I liked the first two episodes a lot. Looking forward to see where they take it.

Melissa Fumero (Detective Amy Santiago) looks like she's about to burst out laughing at Samberg in some of the scenes. It's cute for now but I hope she can keep herself together better down the line.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The angry Latina (Rita? fuck, I forget now) kind of turns me on for some reason too.
They kind of ruined her character a little from the pilot to the second episode, with having her make stupid comments and laugh like a retard now. I'm guessing focus groups (i.e. women) didn't like her being full on ball-buster, so they changed her by tossing in scenes of her being slightly retarded to soften the bitchiness. Which I feel makes her a much less interesting character, but what do I know?

Still enjoying it despite that, but I was still a little disappointed by it.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
I think Samberg did a good job on this. Always liked the dude on SNL and i miss the Digital Shorts, so it's great to have him back on tv.
"What's wrong with you?" - "Never took off the speedo" ... silly, but i laughed
smile.png

Also: they should have an SNL cameo on every episode.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database