Business Ethics - Companies that you refuse to do business with

Caliane

You know, I agree. Let's look and see how long until they're bankrupt...http://pfizer.newshq.businesswire.co...inancial-guida

Holy fuck these guys are printing money. Glad you're keeping an eye out for them!
did you actually even read it?

"For fourth-quarter 2012, U.S. revenues were $5.8 billion, a decrease of 9% compared with the year-ago quarter.This decrease was primarily the result of the loss of exclusivity of Lipitor in November 2011 and Geodon in March 2012.International revenues were $9.3 billion, a decrease of 5% compared with the prior-year quarter, mainly due to the losses of exclusivity of Lipitor in developed Europe during second-quarter 2012 and the unfavorable impact of foreign exchange."

They had massive profit losses in 2012.
two drugs went out of patent. and Pfizers overall profit dropped 10-11%.

The danger of the current system is, companies are in a race to stay profitable. If they do not have the next big thing, before a patent drops, the company IS in danger of going bankrupt.
Estimates of 200-800million on R&D per drug. (not including marketing)
This is not safe for the company, and it is not safe for the public. This is why we get questionable drugs pushed through safety testing. They need it out "now". Drug gets put on the market, FDA is forced into "ok"ing it. as they are NOT on our side either..

But by not rewarding proper research, we are just helping perpetuate the system.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Throw in the PAC money these same pharm companies throw at politicians to ensure they get their money back and I don't fee the least bit sorry for them. Some of these trials changed a lot to keep the research from going bust. There's a reason there are class action lawsuits out there right now. It's called, I spent too damn much on research not to mass produce this shit! Customer be damned! There is no such thing as business ethics outside of a classroom. Profit, profit, profit! Just in case you didn't get the message the first time...profit, profit, profit! Oh, and Walmart is a shithole that is trying it's damn best to keep a class of welfare paid employees available at all times. Won't shop there.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

"For fourth-quarter 2012, U.S. revenues were $5.8 billion, a decrease of 9% compared with the year-ago quarter.This decrease was primarily the result of the loss of exclusivity of Lipitor in November 2011 and Geodon in March 2012.International revenues were $9.3 billion, a decrease of 5% compared with the prior-year quarter, mainly due to the losses of exclusivity of Lipitor in developed Europe during second-quarter 2012 and the unfavorable impact of foreign exchange."

The danger of the current system is, companies are in a race to stay profitable. If they do not have the next big thing, before a patent drops, the company IS in danger of going bankrupt.
This is not safe for the company, and it is not safe for the public. This is why we get questionable drugs pushed through safety testing. They need it out "now". Drug gets put on the market, FDA is forced into "ok"ing it. as they are NOT on our side either..
Ah, there's your problem. You have the ignorant belief that profit isn't unethical. Those greedy fuckers should redistribute that money to all of their loyal workers.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

But by not rewarding proper research, we are just helping perpetuate the system.
Holy lack of critical thinking skills, Batman! Again, when said company isn't pulling in billions a year in PROFIT I MIGHT give a shit (but not really, because others will pick up the slack). Until then generics are causing them to go from super fucking rich to just outright fucking rich. Cry me a fucking river.

Algiz

N00b
Ah, there's your problem. You have the ignorant belief that profit isn't unethical. Those greedy fuckers should redistribute that money to all of their loyal workers.
I posted aboutNaprelanon FoH, but I'll do it again.

Naprelan is... I think the pharmacy I work at charges $250ish cash price for 30 tablets. The cost we pay for 30 tablets isn't much below that.

Naprelan is a slightly higher dose of Naproxen.

Naproxen isnotterriblyexpensive.

"Greedy fuckers" seems about right.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Healthcare, to my knowledge, is the only product that doesn't base its prices around a customers ability and willingness to pay. I won't be so bold as to point to any single thing and claim its the sole reason for this, but I think its heavily related to entitlement mentality, government price fixing (ceilings via medicare/medicaid and probably some floors somewhere but I don't know), 2-3 generations of "mandatory" insurance, and of course the fact that everyone will seek it at some point (high demand).

I guess what I'm saying is, customers are willing to pay high prices, and Pfizer is more than happy to take advantage of their customer's ignorance. Unethical? Maybe. Greedy? Well, they have investors and stock holders to answer to and if they don't continue to show profit, heads will roll.

Algiz

N00b
Healthcare, to my knowledge, is the only product that doesn't base its prices around a customers ability and willingness to pay. I won't be so bold as to point to any single thing and claim its the sole reason for this, but I think its heavily related to entitlement mentality, government price fixing (ceilings via medicare/medicaid and probably some floors somewhere but I don't know), 2-3 generations of "mandatory" insurance, and of course the fact that everyone will seek it at some point (high demand).
You left out the part where the people in the business side feel entitled to their gigantic piles of money. Like, if I made $10 billion one year and $8 billion the next... I wouldn't really be complaining, you know? That still seems like a pretty decent amount of profit.

Quick, someone tell me how "profit" isn't really profit and those poor executives are just barely scraping by after Big Gobblement takes all their hard-earned money.

I guess what I'm saying is, customers are willing to pay high prices
Because being healthy is important. When I had middle of the road insurance last year, my copay for a prescription shampoo was $100ish dollars. The cash price of the shampoo was $120ish. This year, I have a more expensive plan, but at least the shampoo only "costs" me $4. Except I'm paying more for insurance, soooo....

It's like gas. No one likes buying gas, but people recognize the necessity of it. I don't like buying shampoo, but I don't like my scalp scabbing over, so I buy the shampoo and support a system where $120 shampoo exists. Fuck me and my entitlements, or something.

Hell, shampoo and Naprelan aren't even the worst things in the pharmacy I work at, and I work in a pretty small pharmacy. I can't imagine the stuff I haven't seen yet.

and Pfizer is more than happy to take advantage of their customer's ignorance. Unethical? Maybe.
Someone should start a thread to talk about those kinds of business practices.

Greedy? Well, they have investors and stock holders to answer to and if they don't continue to show profit, heads will roll.
Boo hoo.

OneofOne

Greedy? Well, they have investors and stock holders to answer to and if they don't continue to show profit, heads will roll.
The funny (sad) thing is, whenever I see this, I think of the Nazi's sitting on trial saying "I was just following orders!" Not in the seriousness of it, but in the same illogical idea that this is somehow justification.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lol equating legitimate business which pump out life saving drugs to nazis.

Do you equate Warren Buffet or Apple to nazis?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't really black list any businesses for political reasons, only for ones that I've had a really bad experience with.

#1 in my list is the local "Green Mountain Energy" company. Those people should all be lined up, and arrested for harassment. They come to my door. They sit in front of supermarkets, and their sales pitch is that I am gleefully and intentionally destroying the earth because I am not using green energy. One of them I told "If you do not get off my property right now I am going to call the police" after I closed the door on him and he rang my doorbell repeatedly. Those guys are crooks.
You should follow through with the complaints, if they're on the store's property complain to the manager and write corporate, they'll get booted. Call in a complaint to the local cops, they probably won't do anything unless they hear a lot of complaints (or the desk cop you talk to hates them as well).

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Currently working at WalMart while I'm in school and yeah, people aint bullshitting when they say how horrible it is.

OneofOne

Lol equating legitimate business which pump out life saving drugs to nazis.

Do you equate Warren Buffet or Apple to nazis?
The problem when trying to express ideas is you always risk running into complete fucking morons like you. I'm willing to risk it though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bank of America is it. All of the shit they pulled before, during, and after the housing crisis would be enough but they ended up with my parent's mortgage when they got saddled with Countrywide. My parents haven't ever, ever missed a payment and are zero dollars behind but as soon as it hits ten days to the next due date those sons of bitches start calling wanting their money.

Are you still living at that residence? Are you planning on making this payment? Is the house still being maintained? You do know that if you become delinquent we have the right to come into your house and inspect the property, right? When are you planning on making this payment?

Zero months behind, been paid late zero times, and these vampires are calling at 8 P.M. on a Sunday to remind us if we are late someone is going to be knocking on the door to do an inspection. I hope their executives all get bowel cancer.
That is really weird. My mortgage was through BofA, until they recently sold it to Nationstar, and I never once got any communication from them. And I never, ever pay my mortgage before the 7th of the month, due to how my paychecks fall. Maybe it was your regional office or something that was fucked up. Not that the company itself isn't responsible for that, just saying, that couldn't be more different from my experience.

OneofOne

That's one thing I will give Tanoob. Yes he gives he headaches at times reading his shit, but he got one thing right when he said "Rerolled - anything but the point".

Your reading comprehension is abysmal. Don't talk to me.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's one thing I will give Tanoob. Yes he gives he headaches at times reading his shit, but he got one thing right when he said "Rerolled - anything but the point".

Your reading comprehension is abysmal. Don't talk to me.
Just accept you godwin'd this thread in 3 pages.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
What ? You don't have the 500 reply per page's setting ? This is first page bro you're so not cool !

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Progressive Insurance - because fuck them and their politics

Bank of America- fucking evil, corrupt, taxpayer bailout pieces of shit

Wells Fargo - fucking evil, corrupt, taxpayer bailout pieces of shit, and also fuck Warren Buffet

JPMorgan Chase - fucking evil, corrupt, maniacal, pretty much the root of all that is evil. Fuck Jamie Dimon.

Citibank - pretty much the same thing as the previous banks mentioned
(I will never again have anything to do with any of the major banks, I would urge everyone to move your money to a small local credit union and never look back)

Dicks Sporting Goods - fucking cowards that folded like a cheap lawn chair when the gun control crowd convinced them to stop selling EBR's (Evil Black Rifles)

Fidelity Investments - You put the fucking evil NWO "all seeing eye" pyramid as your corporate fucking symbol? Seriously? Fuck you.