Business Ethics - Companies that you refuse to do business with

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't shop at WalMart, which I'm not surprised to see many others agree on. I also don't do business with BoA, and I am surprised to see others say the same.

dear morons,

give 1 valid reason to not shop at WalMart... it for damn sure better not be because they take business from mom & pop.

Should they close & apologize for being the greatest capitalist entity in the history of the world?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
dear morons,

give 1 valid reason to not shop at WalMart... it for damn sure better not be because they take business from mom & pop.

Should they close & apologize for being the greatest capitalist entity in the history of the world?
You can get stuff cheaper online. Aldi has cheaper groceries. Does that qualify? I gave you two.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
dear morons,

Shady business practices and treat their employees like shit as well. They basically tell smaller vendors "Hey we want your product! This will be great for your business and we want you to ramp up production 500%!!! Here's the price we will pay for it, sign the contract bro!". Small(ish) vendor says "OMG This is my big break, maybe I can buy a BMW!!" and does it. 6 months later they say "Yo bro, thanks for ramping up production but guess what, we're only gonna pay you half what we agreed to. You don't like it? HAH! good luck fighting us over it, it will take you years and cost you every last penny you have, and if you pull your business now after you just ramped up production like that you will go out of business!!! You're fucked bro, just bend over!"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Walmart, at least in my area, is disgusting. The store area around the bathrooms smells like what I imagine an open sewer would smell like. The store is dirty as fuck, the employees unhelpful, and the stock is randomly piled around the aisles. Oh, and the people are fucking ghetto. Right down the street, Target is clean, the stock makes sense, it is just as cheap, and the customer base is not the same. Night and fucking day.

However, when I lived in Texas Walmart wasn't like this. So I think it is a regional thing.

It's def. location by location. Methuen MA has the ghettoist walmart i've ever seen. 20 mins up the road in Salem NH is one of the nicest I've seen.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dear morons,

I like you and all but you should be the last person calling anyone a moron around here... at least for another couple weeks.

I like you and all but you should be the last person calling anyone a moron around here... at least for another couple weeks.
bullshit. unlike the quick draw googlers in the investing thread, i was relying on education and work experience to answer questions in the free time i had at work.

i dont move retirement money for a living, but almost ten years ago i received my 6 and 7.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Walmart, at least in my area, is disgusting. The store area around the bathrooms smells like what I imagine an open sewer would smell like. The store is dirty as fuck, the employees unhelpful, and the stock is randomly piled around the aisles. Oh, and the people are fucking ghetto. Right down the street, Target is clean, the stock makes sense, it is just as cheap, and the customer base is not the same. Night and fucking day.
This exactly describes the situation in my town. We have the dirtiest, ghettoest Wal-Mart and literally across the street there is a really nice Target, which is clean, upscale(ish), and full of pleasant customers and helpful employees.

Our Wal-Mart used to be open 24/7, but homeless people were "living" in it so they had to go back to regular hours after a few months.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shady business practices and treat their employees like shit as well. They basically tell smaller vendors "Hey we want your product! This will be great for your business and we want you to ramp up production 500%!!! Here's the price we will pay for it, sign the contract bro!". Small(ish) vendor says "OMG This is my big break, maybe I can buy a BMW!!" and does it. 6 months later they say "Yo bro, thanks for ramping up production but guess what, we're only gonna pay you half what we agreed to. You don't like it? HAH! good luck fighting us over it, it will take you years and cost you every last penny you have, and if you pull your business now after you just ramped up production like that you will go out of business!!! You're fucked bro, just bend over!"
Any examples of this happening? I'm not contesting that it did, I'd just like to read more about a specific case.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Wells Fargo, BoA, Chase. My checking is through US Bank, but just because they have always been awesome and Ive never taken the time to research them. Do all my lending from a local credit union that treats me well and has great rates.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh get the fuck out of here with that liberal hippy shit. You think Target pays 5x the price their products that Wal-Mart does? You think they pay triple the wages/benefits that Wal-Mart does?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Oh get the fuck out of here with that liberal hippy shit. You think Target pays 5x the price their products that Wal-Mart does? You think they pay triple the wages/benefits that Wal-Mart does?
One of my econ professors at a fairly liberal college spent an entire weeks worth of lectures on Wal-Mart. I wish I could remember more of it, but basically they are nothing but good for the economy, save mom and pop brick and mortar shops that are two decades overdue for closure anyways.

the moment 1 day shipping can be guaranteed for necessaries, clothing & groceries from a low-priced website; walmart will itself go the way of "Don's Hardware" - selling $5 hammers for $12 since 1975.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Like a lot of other people have said, I refuse to use Wal-Mart. There is clearly more then enough evidence on how slimy they are if anyone really wants to know. Anyone who supports them that has the means and funds to go elsewhere and doesn't, is clearly anti-business, anti-worker, and dare I say it, anti-American.

I was a long time BofA customer (20+ years) and last year we left them over a bunch of bullshit they pulled on us and other family members, and I won't be using them again if I can help it.

I also refuse to use Amazon after my first and only transaction with them. When they first opened and I thought I'd give them a shot, they decided to send my 7 item order one item at a time and charge me shipping each time, which was more then the items were worth. I've since been informed they no longer do this, but fuck 'em.

iannis

Musty Nester
A local gas company. They don't understand what a contract is. They'd just send out a truck to fill the tank whenever they felt like it, so I decided that I'd just pay them whenever I felt like it.

It was a thing until I got ahold of the regional manager, read him my contract, and threatened to take it to a magistrate. The day that contract ended I switched companies.

No problem with the new guys.