Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The most likely answer is that most of the people male or female who apply to MIT are qualified and have acceptable numbers. Admission fees aren't cheap.

The school targets a 50/50 ratio of male to female and achieves it by admitting 50/50 males to females, all of whom are qualified.

However, if the admissions process were gender-blind, the ratio would not be 50/50 due to the disparity in applications.

None of this is complicated logic.
You're really sidestepping her claim by asserting that they are all 'equally qualified' without offering an alternative hypothesis as to the variance, which clearly is statistically significant based upon the difference in numbers. If you accept her claim that men=women in effort, capacity, level/type of study, etc. as well as that qualifications are the single metric for success, then menshouldhave a higher success rate.

My guess would be it's much more related to the type of degree sought/program of study which correlates with gender vs actual gender differences OR minority men apply (AA admits) but minority women do not.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You're really sidestepping her claim by asserting that they are all 'equally qualified' without offering an alternative hypothesis as to the variance, which clearly is statistically significant based upon the difference in numbers. If you accept her claim that men=women in effort, capacity, level/type of study, etc. as well as that qualifications are the single metric for success, then menshouldhave a higher success rate.

My guess would be it's much more related to the type of degree sought/program of study which correlates with gender vs actual gender differences OR minority men apply (AA admits) but minority women do not.
I'm not sidestepping her claim, I'm just going with the data I have. I have no reason to believe the male or female candidates that apply to MIT are more or less qualified than each other. I have a pretty strong reason to believe MIT isn't going to admit 75% males.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not sidestepping her claim, I'm just going with the data I have. I have no reason to believe the male or female candidates that apply to MIT are more or less qualified than each other. I have a pretty strong reason to believe MIT isn't going to admit 75% males.
OK, but then your statement makes no sense. Assume as you state male and females follow an identical Gaussian distribution for qualifications and 1000 males and 500 females apply. We then take the top 250 of each to reach our 50/50 quota of 500, the female range is down to the 50th percentile while the male range is still at 75th percentile.

If that were the case, one would expect the graduation rate to trend towards males assuming qualifications were the only factor OR if the variance was a non-factor, there would not be statistically significant change in graduation rates between the two genders because everyone would be 'equally qualified' as we both agree is likely the case.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
one would expect the graduation rate to trend towards males assuming qualifications were the only factor OR if the variance was a non-factor, there would not be statistically significant change in graduation rates between the two genders because everyone would be 'equally qualified' as we both agree is likely the case.
I'm sure all of the people they end up accepting are stellar candidates. This is MIT we're talking about. There's just more male stellar candidates wanting to go there than female. We can speculate as to why that is, I don't think it has anything to do with the relative qualifications of each pool.

Also for your 50th/75th percentile example, I think the actual #'s were 5000/12000 and they only needed 700, so we're talking 87th/94th percentiles.

iannis

Musty Nester
If I pretend to be asian, will it be easier or harder to get a Faulty Armor girlfriend? Or a Faulty Armorfriend, as I would like to call her.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Every women of every races want a white boyfriend. Embrace your shitlord privilege.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure all of the people they end up accepting are stellar candidates. This is MIT we're talking about. There's just more male stellar candidates wanting to go there than female. We can speculate as to why that is, I don't think it has anything to do with the relative qualifications of each pool.

Also for your 50th/75th percentile example, I think the actual #'s were 5000/12000 and they only needed 700, so we're talking 87th/94th percentiles.
I remember reading something interesting on top tier colleges (this was back in the 90s, not quite sure how valid it is today) and their enrolment policies. They used to only take in the very best candidates, and only the very best, but this resulted in an alarming rate of depression and even suicides amongst those who would get the lowest grades (regardless if those grades were still very good). The reason being that if you pick a bunch of people who are used to being the very best in their old schools and put them all together then naturally not all will continue to be at the top. This ruined their self-esteem, often with horrific consequences. So what they started to do was to accept *mostly* top tier candidates, but also mix in a handful of average students. These would not mind so much being towards the bottom as they'd usually be happy just to be in a top tier college.

I would expect something similar to still be in place, but maybe other things like affirmative action and athletic scholarships have reduced the need for the above.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Every women of every races want a white boyfriend. Embrace your shitlord privilege.
lol. I remember some dating website had stats showing that everyone writes to white men and nobody wants a black woman.
rrr_img_109234.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember reading something interesting on top tier colleges (this was back in the 90s, not quite sure how valid it is today) and their enrolment policies. They used to only take in the very best candidates, and only the very best, but this resulted in an alarming rate of depression and even suicides amongst those who would get the lowest grades (regardless if those grades were still very good). The reason being that if you pick a bunch of people who are used to being the very best in their old schools and put them all together then naturally not all will continue to be at the top. This ruined their self-esteem, often with horrific consequences. So what they started to do was to accept *mostly* top tier candidates, but also mix in a handful of average students. These would not mind so much being towards the bottom as they'd usually be happy just to be in a top tier college.

I would expect something similar to still be in place, but maybe other things like affirmative action and athletic scholarships have reduced the need for the above.
No, they still do that. I remember reading along those lines within the past few years.

And it makes sense. There will always be a top 1%. If you refine it down to the personality types that require that and put 100 of them in a room.. one of THOSE are gonna be the top 1. And one of them will be 99th.

It's taking something to an absurd, impractical, flat out harmful extreme. So you grab a few 5%ers who are used to not always being first. And either they'll get lucky and move up, or they won't. But they won't go all suicidal/homocidal about being 99th.

I think I read it somehow in relation to the Japs. Although generally their response tends more along the lines of, "99th? Comitted sepuku? Good. We don't have to feed him. He honors his family by admitting his shame and uselessness." I think they've been trying to change that!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I think I read it somehow in relation to the Japs. Although generally their response tends more along the lines of, "99th? Comitted sepuku? Good. We don't have to feed him. He honors his family by admitting his shame and uselessness." I think they've been trying to change that!
God I hope not, that's one of the more awesome things about Japan. It's a very sensible and useful attitude towards suicide. Now, getting kids to stop killing themselves? Yeah, they need to do that. They are a very top heavy society in terms of aging, even worse than the US.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Andrew Garfield Hopes To Eventually See A Pansexual Spider Man

"I'm excited to get to the point where we don't have to have this conversation," said Garfield, "where we can have a pansexual Spider-Man."

Garfield added that he wants to see this change occur with Spider-Man in order to reflect the world. "The richness of the world we're in, the diversity of the world we're in," continued Garfield. "You look at the animal kingdom and you see it reflected. You look all over. What are we so scared of? Why are we so, 'No, it has to be this way, a man and a woman.' Why is that even a conversation?... We're scared of things that aren't us. Love is love. Skin is skin. Flesh is flesh. We're all wrapped in the same thing. I have no preference."

The actor also noted that Spider-Man is the perfect candidate for this leap forward in diversity (there has yet to be a superhero movie with a non-straight lead) due to his costume. "The beauty about Spider-Man, for me, is that he's covered head to toe," he said. "That's why everyone thinks it could be them in that suit. You don't see skin color. You don't see sexual orientation. You don't see how old the person is, gender, the whole thing. I celebrate that. Anyone can be a hero in their own lives."

This isn't the first time Garfield has called for a not-strictly-heterosexual take on Spider-Man; in 2013, he wondered aloud why Spider-Man couldn't be bisexual and even fancast Michael B. Jordan in the gender-swapped role of "MJ."

Of course, Garfield's comments stand in stark contrast to the restrictions placed on the Peter Parker character by Marvel and Sony. Leaked documents revealed that for Peter to be portrayed on the big screen, he must be "Caucasian and heterosexual."

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That little rat-lookin' chick is insufferable. Another privileged little white girl who thinks she knows far more than she actually does. That old dude owning her was a classic video.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what she and her cohorts think of a rich white man talking about the virtues of growing up black in the ghetto.