Butthurt white guys, an Asian virgin and an angry lesbian walk into a bar...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, expectations did not grant him this ability, practice did. It isn't exactly a shocking revelation that practicing a skill over and over again, for years, will rewire your brain (this is what neuroplasticity means). I am still not certain what you are getting at.
Again, completely missing the point. Adam practiced too... he practiced being helpless. The difference, the variable in the equation, was the society around them. I know that this ability isn't particularly remarkable, that's the whole reason I'm saying that focusing on the mechanics of it is missing the point. You're missing the forest of the trees so to speak. The actual remarkable part of the story is how his mother responded to his blindness.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Out of curiosity, why DO you think there are far fewer women programmers than men?
Society's subtle expectations of which jobs are suited to men and women. A lack of female mentors and role models in modern CS/SE degree programs. Silicon Valley's reputation of being a risk-taking culture combined with society's expectations of women that make them more risk averse. Stuff like that.

But I don't think it's something nefarious or something we need to go out of way to rectify either. On the contrary, I find Mark Zuckerberg's insistence that we need to train more female programmers to be a nefarious economic agenda, he wants more female programmers because he wants more cheap labor.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
If he was choking her, I assure you she would not be screaming at the top of her lungs "he's choking me!"

At best she would be gurgiling "I can't...breathe"

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I found the sjw logic taken to it's final form
rrr_img_88435.jpg

riptorn

Lord Nagafen Raider
It amazes me how readily people accept that they're slaves to their genes yet are so reluctant to admit that they're products of their society, especially given that our genes are immutable and that our society is so readily variable. It reeks of the kind of hopeless, throw your hands up kind of fatalism, as if to say that the problems of our society are not really our fault.
I've no idea what this thread is about. Just clicked most recent posts and read this. I thought damn shes got a good point. Then read the below and thought, yup woman gonna woman. No longer interested in this thread.

But I don't think it's something nefarious or something we need to go out of way to rectify either. On the contrary, I find Mark Zuckerberg's insistence that we need to train more female programmers to be a nefarious economic agenda, he wants more female programmers because he wants more cheap labor.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I've no idea what this thread is about. Just clicked most recent posts and read this. I thought damn shes got a good point. Then read the below and thought, yup woman gonna woman. No longer interested in this thread.
Not to mention it is a ridiculous strawman of my, and many other posters', position on the matter.