Buying a bed.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
So, for just over a year I've been sleeping on a futon mattress that has no frame. Just a mattress, on the floor, like an animal.

I've decided as a technical adult I should perhaps invest in something more bedlike.

I spend far too much time yesterday looking into this shit. It seems a Latex mattress is the way to go, but, I read nothing but fantastic reviews about this Casper mattress, which is a latex over memory foam, over a solid foam core. Here is the sitehttps://casper.com/mattresses

Now, it's super fucking obvious they have an insane PR department. On top of that, they have a gimmick where anyone who buys a mattress and refers someone else gets $50, and you can get it as much as you want. I honestly wish this wasn't the case, as it makes every review entirely suspect to me. "Best mattress ever! The only problem you will have is the constant blowjobs and free money you're going to get if you buy it! Here's my reference number!"

All that being said, I've found several reputable places that seem to praise it as well... so hopefully it's not all smoke and mirrors? It seems like a great mattress, and it's $850, which from my research seems like a solid price. Anyone have thoughts?

Now, on top of that, I need an actual bed frame. I also spent hours looking at frames, and 99% of them I just go "Well thats plain and boring, I'm not paying $500, $1000, whatever, for that."

I "think" I like the look of this one? Seem's like it could be a good for watching movies, reading, or whatever too, something I currently never do, as I don't find sitting for long periods on my bed comfortable. So this next part is just a "You guys like this bed?" if not, have some suggestions?

rrr_img_88240.jpg
rrr_img_88241.jpg
rrr_img_88242.jpg
rrr_img_88243.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
It's like a modernist sleigh bed. It's kind of a nice looking bed, actually.

The side panels would get annoying to me very quickly. When I roll out of bed half the time I literally roll out of bed.

I think you also want a footboard so that the Dog can't see what you're doing up there. You have to preserve some mystery between the species.

Bed frames, like good men's shoes should have kind of a timeless quality about them so that you can fit them in to pretty any much decor scheme. So for me that style doesn't fit. It isn't hideous or anything but I really wouldn't be purchasing that design for myself.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I think you also want a footboard so that the Dog can't see what you're doing up there. You have to preserve some mystery between the species.
Pet free, for life if I can help it.

I don't really roll out of the bed ever, but one of the drawbacks of Latex mattresses is they don't really have stiff sides, so sitting on the edge of the bed to put shoes on or something doesn't work too well. I thought that might actually help with that. And if I'm being honest, I thought the firm edges, sloped footboard, and padded headrest might all be worked into sex stuff at one point or another.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh my... you know what it just reminded me of. A racecar bed.

Oh my god when you get it ohnoes, put Disney CARS sheets on it.

Do it and you'll never be able to get the p-funk out of the mattress. I'm tellin you man.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Well fuck. Now all I see is racecar bed. I wonder if that was the subliminal appeal. God damn it Iannis.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have a Kingsdown California King and I *LOVE* it. I don't have anything special as far as head board goes, and there's currently no foot board.
This is what my frame looks like. No wheels, and super strong.

31gJttGSyjL.jpg

I dig.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I actually went mattress shopping tonight. Kinda liked one that was around $1250, but that didn't include a frame, but we already have a king frame. I kinda like the one you pictured, Onoes. I'm still trying to decide.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well fuck. Now all I see is racecar bed. I wonder if that was the subliminal appeal. God damn it Iannis.
First thing I thought of was onoes wants an adult bed and posts a picture of an adult race car bed.

I'd go to a mattress store and check them out bro. People like different things in mattresses, I wouldn't trust an online review as fact as to what I like. Last time the wife and I purchased a mattress we went to the mattress store and laid in about a dozen mattresses before sticking with the one we liked, I think it is a super plush sterns and foster, which goes to show I didn't really know what I wanted because I thought I preferred a bit of a firmer mattress, but I just melted into this thing, but its nice, it still gives plenty of support.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I showed my wife this thread and the racecar bed. I think we're going to go shopping for a new frame some time soon, but she wants something with drawers underneath.

Good stuff, thanks for spending my money.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
We have a Casper in our apartment, I dig it. Our house has a much more expensive Sterns & Foster normal spring mattress, I prefer the Casper.

I'll warn you though, it's fairly firm. I prefer a firm mattress personally, but if you're into the super pillow top type of mattress you may not like it. The nice thing with Casper is they offer no questions asked 100 day full refund, they even have someone come and pick it up if you want to return it.

Edit: forgot to add, the Casper still has nice bounce for sex. May sound silly, but I know of people who don't like sex on a memory foam mattress due to no bounce.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Whatever you do make sure it isn't a tempur pedic. That thing is a giant pile of shit. Overheats in the summer, takes forever to conform in the winter. Impossible to have good sex on the thing. It is overall a very poor experience. I cannot anti-recommend it enough.

My latest bed I decided to just go back to the bedding roots and got just a normal spring mattress with 2x twin box springs and a normal frame. I bought it from Original Mattress Factory because I had one growing up and it was superior quality and I've been on a pretty large Made in USA kick if that option is at all feasible and the quality is there (some MiUSA crap is just marketing BS.)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bought a temperpedic knock off on amazon for $600. Made my own bed frame out of pine.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Feather bed caused me major back pain.

Now I sleep on concrete. Much better.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I would be wary of beds with latex as it seems to be a more prevalent allergy nowadays. The hospital I used to work at switched away from latex anything (gloves, bandaids etc), as a policy just for that reason.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am trying to find a very specific bed. My wife and I bought these antique Japanese cherry (or something) dressers that are awesome. I want to get a bed that at least kind of matches them but I can't imagine it happening.

I've been thinking about getting a Casper mattress since they started sponsoring every podcast I listen to.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I am trying to find a very specific bed. My wife and I bought these antique Japanese cherry (or something) dressers that are awesome. I want to get a bed that at least kind of matches them but I can't imagine it happening.

I've been thinking about getting a Casper mattress since they started sponsoring every podcast I listen to.
Will require pictures of the dressers to find a match.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
We have a Casper in our apartment, I dig it. Our house has a much more expensive Sterns & Foster normal spring mattress, I prefer the Casper.

I'll warn you though, it's fairly firm. I prefer a firm mattress personally, but if you're into the super pillow top type of mattress you may not like it. The nice thing with Casper is they offer no questions asked 100 day full refund, they even have someone come and pick it up if you want to return it.

Edit: forgot to add, the Casper still has nice bounce for sex. May sound silly, but I know of people who don't like sex on a memory foam mattress due to no bounce.
What's your referral number thing? Like everyone sad, the hundred day return policy thing that's apparently super easy kind of makes it a no brainer to try it at least. If I'm hooking someone up with 50 bucks it might as well be someone from the board.

I'm still up in the air about the race car bed thing. I still really like it, and I showed it to a few people who liked it as well, but now I'm leery. Blarg.