Buying a bed.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Don't watch TV/movies or read in bed. Bed is for sleeping, it fucks up your sleep to get your body in the habit of spending significant amounts of time doing other things in bed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's your referral number thing? Like everyone sad, the hundred day return policy thing that's apparently super easy kind of makes it a no brainer to try it at least. If I'm hooking someone up with 50 bucks it might as well be someone from the board.

I'm still up in the air about the race car bed thing. I still really like it, and I showed it to a few people who liked it as well, but now I'm leery. Blarg.
There's a 50$ coupon associated with the referral as well, so you can save yourself tax at least
Casper - The Mattress Reimagined

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Bought a temperpedic knock off on amazon for $600. Made my own bed frame out of pine.
Was going to do the same but cost was close to a cheap one with storage at Ikea. Also, that does look like a race car bed just add flames.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Don't watch TV/movies or read in bed. Bed is for sleeping, it fucks up your sleep to get your body in the habit of spending significant amounts of time doing other things in bed.
I typically sleep between 4-6 hours a day, When I lay down to sleep I'm out in under 30 seconds and wake up in the exact same position, I sleep like I'm dead. I'm not worried about sitting comfortably in bed watching a movie fucking up me sleep any worse than sitting in my computer chair 5 feet from my bed watching a movie. I understand what you are saying, and there is probably some truth to that depending on what you are doing (my ex would lay in bed for hours playing candy crush for example, when she should be asleep), but I don't think it applies to my personal lifestyle.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
What's your referral number thing? Like everyone sad, the hundred day return policy thing that's apparently super easy kind of makes it a no brainer to try it at least. If I'm hooking someone up with 50 bucks it might as well be someone from the board.

I'm still up in the air about the race car bed thing. I still really like it, and I showed it to a few people who liked it as well, but now I'm leery. Blarg.
PM me your email and I'll send one over, the referral thing on their site sends through email.

Pops

Where the hell are the box springs on the modernistic piece of shit?

Spend top dollar on a great, not good mattress and box springs. It will last forever.

Cal King baby.

iannis

Musty Nester
Chaos-spawn photobomb. THIS IS HERESY.

Matching that color won't be too hard if you got an unfinished bedframe and did it yourself (real easy but it takes a warm day and a little bit of space). Buying something off the rack to match it might be. And it might be a lot harder in VA. NC only makes 3 things anymore. Crime, furniture, and poverty. You took our cotton and our tobacco. You yank fucks. You miserable yank fucks.

Stained red oak will come out close. You'll want it a touch lighter because it will deepen over time and those dressers are probably about as dark as they're going to get.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah my google is usually strong, but I couldn't find anything off the shelf that matched.

Not going to be able to really. Depending on your budget for it you can either find someone to do a custome frame for you and then have them do the stain and finish or you do the finishing yourself. Hell, I'd be up for doing it if I lived anywhere near you. For the cheaper end of things you can do like iannis suggested and just get a basic unfinished frame and the stain and finish yourself. Shouldn't be too expensive or time consuming and either.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sold the jurassic park truck a few months ago :p

Bought it for $1,600, put new tires on it for $600, drove it for just over a year off and on, sold it for $7k. Bunch of haters in here.
Hate, naw man, I'm just jealous of the truck. If it makes you feel better I know a person who knows a person who owns a legit pikachu car. It is a vw beetle painted yellow and it has a tail and everything. It is one of 5 promotional cars they made when one of the pokemon games came out awhile back. The girl who owns it even met up with one of the other five owners.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Was going to do the same but cost was close to a cheap one with storage at Ikea. Also, that does look like a race car bed just add flames.
Yep. It's rare that making your own furniture with materials bought new is ever cheaper than buying cheap furniture. Especially if you don't use shit-tier pine like I do. Someday I could see myself being an old man who buys antique furniture and picks it apart and builds new furniture from it.

I think between all the hardware, lumber, stain and polyeurethane I ended up spending some $150 on it. I like having furniture that has no particle board in it though.

Doing it yourself will rarely ever be the cheaper route. The whole reason you diy or hire someone else to do it is to make exactly what you are looking for. Also if you enjoy the crafting then you have yourself a nice little hobby that doesn't involve nerd shit. Or maybe I'm a wood working nerd now.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it's not cheaper. But if you pay for particle board you get particle board.

Lots of stuff I don't care. A dumb little table that I'm gonna throw away or burn in 2-3 years anyway? Particle board it is! But some stuff like a desk and a bed needs to actually be made out of wood. Or metal. Something better than sawdust and glue.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Doing it yourself will rarely ever be the cheaper route. The whole reason you diy or hire someone else to do it is to make exactly what you are looking for. Also if you enjoy the crafting then you have yourself a nice little hobby that doesn't involve nerd shit. Or maybe I'm a wood working nerd now.
I usually enjoy wood working until it gets to the staining part. Maybe I just need more practice but I've never been able to stain something and not leave a bunch of drips and uneven spots.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Try brushing the stain on, then wait 5 minutes and immediately take it off with paper towels. It's a good way to prevent over staining. I've also had good luck applying stain by using those foam paint brushes from home depot.