Buying a bed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Try brushing the stain on, then wait 5 minutes and immediately take it off with paper towels. It's a good way to prevent over staining. I've also had good luck applying stain by using those foam paint brushes from home depot.
Yeah that's what I do, but I fuck it up still. I think it's just inexperience.

Oldbased

> Than U
I stain with a rag and after a few minutes use the same rag to remove excess stain. I do the same on floors as I do cabinets.
The biggest issues I run into is hidden footprints, fingerprints and sweat drops on the wood prior to stain you couldn't see from some slob at the store.
I've taken to sanding everything even if it was already flawless in appearance beforehand.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am about to buy a Casper twin for my daughter as kind of a testbed. If hers is good I am thinking I will replace mine with that.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've had mine for a while, still like it. I'll reiterate what I said on the first page though, it is a fairly firm mattress. If you're used to a thick pillow-top mattress you may not like it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I'm alway cautious of mattress reviews because it is so much personal preference. I just make sure to buy from vendors that give you a decent trial period and hassle free returns. Sounds like you get that from Casper so I see no reason not to try it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's an idea of what my wife would like in a bed set. She wants to get rid of the night stands and some other shit. The 5 circles up on the top of the cabinets are going to be lights that shine directly up so that there isn't any glare. I just need to figure a few things out, like covering the box spring completely, then have to make the blueprints before I finally build everything.

I'll let you know how I progress.

AyxeTD5.jpg

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if you're after this or not, but I'd just like to point out my experience with buying a Tempur health foam mattress. Best damn buy I've ever made. I sleep like a log every night (and I bought it in 2007). They're expensive but worth it. As for a frame, no idea, I just got the stock frame that it lies on.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I admit Ive never cared to spend much money on a mattress. Ive been pretty basic about it since I was literally sleeping on the ground for a time during my enlistment. Now though, Im just waking up with a sore back and needing to take an old man nap during the middle of the day. Doctor says it could be a number of things, but its probably my mattress.

So.. here I am - looking at Tempurpedics, Serta's, Charles P Rogers, etc. etc. as high end, and then Avocado, Purple etc. for low-mid range.

Even if a mattress lasts 20 years, Ive read that you "should" replace them every decade. So .. now, I just dont know what Im looking for in a bed. Why does one mattress cost 1500 bucks and is a great deal according to consumer reports, but also a Charles P Rogers bed has great reviews on consumer reports and costs 4-5k like a Tempurpedic.

Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I admit Ive never cared to spend much money on a mattress. Ive been pretty basic about it since I was literally sleeping on the ground for a time during my enlistment. Now though, Im just waking up with a sore back and needing to take an old man nap during the middle of the day. Doctor says it could be a number of things, but its probably my mattress.

So.. here I am - looking at Tempurpedics, Serta's, Charles P Rogers, etc. etc. as high end, and then Avocado, Purple etc. for low-mid range.

Even if a mattress lasts 20 years, Ive read that you "should" replace them every decade. So .. now, I just dont know what Im looking for in a bed. Why does one mattress cost 1500 bucks and is a great deal according to consumer reports, but also a Charles P Rogers bed has great reviews on consumer reports and costs 4-5k like a Tempurpedic.

Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated.
Depends on technology and type. I would ask your doctor a few more questions, as this could also be how you sleep as much as your mattress. Do you sleep on your back or on your sides?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lot of shared info with the mattress thread: Mattresses

For convenience, I'll copy my post from that thread below:

Did a bit of internet sleuthing on mattresses last year, from what I remember these were the main takeaway points from various salesmen willing to spill the beans:​
-Don't go for something expensive thinking it'll last 20 years, they all wear out/sag over time. Best thing you can do is get something cheaper and replace the mattress regularly (4-5 years max)​
-The various number of "comfort zones" is mostly marketing BS​
-Metal coil spring type mattresses are best if you sweat a lot because air travels through them the easiest. Will feel cooler than a foam mattress for the same reason.​
-Go to the store and actually test a few, meaning actually lie down on it for five minutes so your muscles relax and you get a good approximation for how it will feel when you're at home. Sounds so simple but I had people at Ikea come up to me to check if I hadn't fallen asleep when I started doing this. You'd amazed how many people you see in that time that just lie down for 5 seconds or even just sit on one to test it.​
-Don't neglect whatever you are placing the mattress on (boxspring, slats etc) - these start to sag over time as well.​
Last item in particular is easy to overlook and was actually the issue with my 6 month old mattress that started to sag, it was the slats (or rather the rubber mounts that hold them) that had gone weak and were torn in some places. Replaced them with a new boxspring from Ikea and the problem disappeared.​

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've started buying ~$300 memory foam mattresses. IMO they're just as good as any more expensive option. Yeah, they develop soft spots in 5-7 years, but for that cost I'll just replace. I put plywood underneath with a bunch of 1.5'' holes for ventilation, no moisture/mold problems. Springs just suck.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have akylosing spondylitis, so a few years ago I started getting bad back pains when I slept on my side like I had my whole life. I ended up having to get an adjustable bed so that I could sleep on my back. Made all the difference.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've started buying ~$300 memory foam mattresses. IMO they're just as good as any more expensive option. Yeah, they develop soft spots in 5-7 years, but for that cost I'll just replace. I put plywood underneath with a bunch of 1.5'' holes for ventilation, no moisture/mold problems. Springs just suck.
a good repurose of worn out memory foam mattresses is, if you have dogs, take out the stuffing for thier beds and cut up memory foam for em, doggo will be in heaven

• 1Like