Buying a car?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Ambiturner_sl said:
And an S5 to a 335xi are two completely different types of vehicles. One's a sporty car while the other is a small sedan with a somewhat sporty engine.
What? The older S5's V8 puts out about 340 hp and 325 lb/ft of torque, by the powers of Google. The 335's inline 6 twin turbo puts out 300 hp and 295 lb/ft. The Audi has a curb weight 250 pounds or so heavier, near as I can tell. Not to mention that the V8 isn't even available in the S5 anymore, it's now a 3L V6 supercharged. Dimensionally the two cars are nearly identical, with the S5 being slightly larger. Looks like I forgot to mention it, but I was specifically comparing a 335xi coupe, as well.

The two cars are almost identical for all intents and purposes. Yet the MSRP of the S5 remains about 5k higher.

I fail to see how they are two "completely different types of vehicles." From where I stand, they're almost identical. And you can't even get an A4 in a coupe.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
I know dick all about buying cars, and I loathe having to move on from what I had and buying another one.. but thanks to the twat who pulled out in front of me and State Farm writing off mine as a loss here I am.

What kind of options do I have in the $10-15k used range being 6'4 and wanting as low mileage as I can get, something i'm not crammed into, reliable, and still fun to drive / decent power?

I don't really give a shit what it looks like if it fits my needs, I drove a Buick Rendezvous for the last 6 years and that thing looked like garbage but I got an amazing deal on it and I loved having all that space. It had absolutely no power though and i'm not looking for another cross-over or a gas guzzling truck.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What? The older S5's V8 puts out about 340 hp and 325 lb/ft of torque, by the powers of Google. The 335's inline 6 twin turbo puts out 300 hp and 295 lb/ft. The Audi has a curb weight 250 pounds or so heavier, near as I can tell. Not to mention that the V8 isn't even available in the S5 anymore, it's now a 3L V6 supercharged. Dimensionally the two cars are nearly identical, with the S5 being slightly larger. Looks like I forgot to mention it, but I was specifically comparing a 335xi coupe, as well.

The two cars are almost identical for all intents and purposes. Yet the MSRP of the S5 remains about 5k higher.

I fail to see how they are two "completely different types of vehicles." From where I stand, they're almost identical. And you can't even get an A4 in a coupe.
My fault, I had a brain fart and was thinking 328i for some reason and was wondering why you were comparing a sporty coup to sedan.

Siliconemelons

I know dick all about buying cars, and I loathe having to move on from what I had and buying another one.. but thanks to the twat who pulled out in front of me and State Farm writing off mine as a loss here I am.

What kind of options do I have in the $10-15k used range being 6'4 and wanting as low mileage as I can get, something i'm not crammed into, reliable, and still fun to drive / decent power?

I don't really give a shit what it looks like if it fits my needs, I drove a Buick Rendezvous for the last 6 years and that thing looked like garbage but I got an amazing deal on it and I loved having all that space. It had absolutely no power though and i'm not looking for another cross-over or a gas guzzling truck.
pops had an aztek , the Pontiac equiv... Drove nice and imo had decent power for what it was...looks..yah...but I drove a reandevuze and I thought it was nice inside...anywho.

I hear a lot about mazdas being on the fun to drive side of things.

but loving my nissans as I do... Nissan is in a big long term push to get their sales above Honda and their newer models out on the road and driving around...they are doing some great deals on new... 17k for an Altima S...etc, heard the new sentra is roomy but I have not been in one as I have the altima.

link may not work
http://iphone.jenkinsnissan.com/inde...28028f_p_2Ehtm

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My Nissan Z has been flawless, quality-wise. My warranty also ended two months ago. We shall see!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I just got a 2012 Impala, used with 35K for $15,500. Plenty of leg room. Im 6.2 and the seat has tons more room to go back. Also its not the sexiest car, in fact it looks like an old mans car but I dont really give a shit about that anymore. Fuck, Im 40 and practically an old man myself. Anyways they have a tried and true powertrain and those cars last forever.

rrr_img_24894.jpg

The 2012s and on come with a 3.6L that they use all over the place, even in the Camaro. It has 300hp so plenty of getup and go.

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
pops had an aztek , the Pontiac equiv... Drove nice and imo had decent power for what it was...looks..yah...but I drove a reandevuze and I thought it was nice inside...anywho.

I hear a lot about mazdas being on the fun to drive side of things.

but loving my nissans as I do... Nissan is in a big long term push to get their sales above Honda and their newer models out on the road and driving around...they are doing some great deals on new... 17k for an Altima S...etc, heard the new sentra is roomy but I have not been in one as I have the altima.

link may not work
http://iphone.jenkinsnissan.com/inde...28028f_p_2Ehtm
Yeah I drove a couple Mazda3s today, a Sentra, and a Versa.

Going to go sit in a Camry and check out some Elantras if possible tomorrow, so far nothing has really jumped out they've all just kinda felt the same.. like different skins of the same car.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I drove a couple Mazda3s today, a Sentra, and a Versa.

Going to go sit in a Camry and check out some Elantras if possible tomorrow, so far nothing has really jumped out they've all just kinda felt the same.. like different skins of the same car.
Might be slightly out of your price range, but the Altima's and Accords are very roomy. I'm 6'3" 225 so I needed a roomier car and got the Accord.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Any thoughts on small crossovers? My MIL gave my wife a bunch of money to get a new car, telling her to get a Subaru Forester (the MIL has one, my wife hates it). My wife currently drives a Corolla, which is why we're thinking small crossover. Really, the only restrictions are AWD since the MIL lives in upstate NY and wants us to use the car when visiting during the holidays.

We're thinking about test driving the Mazda CX-5, and taking suggestions on other cars to test.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
We are designing the new Titan right now. I think its set to launch 2015.

And WTF is wrong with the 5.4L they have in todays Titan? Thats a pretty tight engine.
That is good to hear. That trucks has needed an overall for about 3-4 years now - much more than just the engine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The Titan was initially planned for a re-design around 2008-9. We got both programs, the fleet van/truck and the Titan, but the titan got canceled at that time. It got delayed because of the shitty economy? Im guessing. Plus its a low volume vehicle, maybe 40K a year if that. Its the entire x61 platform, which is basically the Fleet van/truck ugly ass looking thing, then you have your Armada and then the Truck.

So the fleet thing got made, see the ugly below, not sure about the Armada and its Brother the Infinity version and then the Titan which is being designed right now.

rrr_img_25123.jpg

I mean, yeah, its roomy as fuck, great for a fleet vehicle for like an electrician or HVAC or some other trade, but would you buy one of these?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Looks like the back half of the Cube and the front half of a 1998 Ford F-150 had sex and that thing came out. Jeez that is fugly.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice! That's about as different from a pickup truck as you can get. I have a 2010 40th Anniversary Z. Post some pics!
forgot I never did this. I'm getting tint soon - not sure how dark I want to go in the front, pretty sure gonna do 5% on the back.

rrr_img_25287.jpg