Buying a car?

Solariss

Golden Squire
forgot I never did this. I'm getting tint soon - not sure how dark I want to go in the front, pretty sure gonna do 5% on the back.
I have an appointment to get my car tinted tomorrow.... In Virginia the legal limit is 35% on rear sides and 50% on front sides. I think I'm going to do 20% on rear window and rear sides, and 35% on front sides. It's not as dark as I want, but I don't want to get fucked by the cops continuously. Though I've also read that 35% is perfect for night and day, because when you start approaching the 20-25% area it gets very hard to see at night. If you get 5%, forget about being able to back out of anything at night.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Though I've also read that 35% is perfect for night and day, because when you start approaching the 20-25% area it gets very hard to see at night. If you get 5%, forget about being able to back out of anything at night.
You can't fucking see to back out of anywhere in the Z anyways so I guess it doesn't matter. I just go real slow and hope something isn't hiding from the backup camera lol. It's a lot different than my Ram which sat higher than every stock vehicle on the road.

I got to sit in a friends VW Eos and she has 25% fronts 5% rear and 35% on the windshield. Now that car was fucking dark inside at night.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
forgot I never did this. I'm getting tint soon - not sure how dark I want to go in the front, pretty sure gonna do 5% on the back.
Hah! That looks almost exactly like my 40th Z, but with the 2013 front-end. I have the red leather interior though. It's a fun car, for sure.

Mine:

rrr_img_25336.jpg

rrr_img_25337.jpg

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
You can't fucking see to back out of anywhere in the Z anyways so I guess it doesn't matter. I just go real slow and hope something isn't hiding from the backup camera lol.
Yeah, my strategy is go slow and listen for a horn.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So with these new-fangled cars instead of going at certain mileage the car tells you when it needs service. Dealership nearly shit themselves when I brought my car in for its first oil change at 12K miles after owning it for 3 months. I drive a lot
frown.png

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't even do 1k a month. What's your daily commute, Noodle? Or do you like drive around all day in your job?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've been thinking about getting a car since I do drive a lot in my commute. It's 95 miles one way which takes me about 1:10. It's interstate the entire way except for a mile on either end and elevated interstate for 30 miles of it with 1 exit/onramp in that span so that means really people go 90mph since you can't get pulled over. The gas cost doesn't bother me in the truck since the company picks it up but I really don't like putting the mileage on either of my trucks. Not really sure where to start since I haven't owned a car in 25 years and the only person I know who drives a car is my 93 year old grandmother who drives a buick. I have personal use of a company truck but it's not always availble if someone at work really needs it.

Something reliable, able to drive 90mph in traffic and not feel like it's about to come apart, room for a tall driver, and something that doesn't look like it's made for a college kid.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
True, but you'll get pussy every 6.25 miles in a Bugatti. It's give and take, my friend.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hah! That looks almost exactly like my 40th Z, but with the 2013 front-end. I have the red leather interior though. It's a fun car, for sure.
nice, I thought I remembered that someone had a Z here - didn't you post pictures of it sitting on the rotors with the wheel stolen? Every time I park at my GFs apartment I worry that someone is gonna jack those Rays wheels.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
nice, I thought I remembered that someone had a Z here - didn't you post pictures of it sitting on the rotors with the wheel stolen? Every time I park at my GFs apartment I worry that someone is gonna jack those Rays wheels.
Yup, they stole them right from in front of my house(I didn't have any locking nuts on them like an idiot). They have been targetting Z's and G37's around here. They tried to steal mine a second time, but couldn't get the lock lugs off. I would get a set of Gorilla lock nuts. The Nissan ones only have like 30 keys and dedicated thieves can get past them no problem. I have these:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah those 2 Nissans, the Pathfinder and the Infinity JX35 are really fucking nice. Even though I work for them, I find most Nissans fucking ugly, its so hit and miss with them, but with those 2 crossovers I think they hit it out of the ballpark. BTW those 2 vehicles were actually the first to be entirely designed and engineered, and manufactured here in the states.

BTW, we are working on the next iteration of the Maxima, right now. Set to release in 2015.
My brother is the supply guy for Johnson Controls at the Smyrna Nissan plant. If the Maxima sucks I'll forward his complaints to you.

Siliconemelons

Aww nissan...here I go again... When they pushed the Maxima as a sendan/4door sports car (current and last gen- and ill assume upcoming next gen) they started a trend that of all people GM with the CTS took off -- the stupid Portche 4door is a direct result of this trend- sure BMWs and Audi's always had fast sporty 4d sedans but it wasnt untill the CTS following the Maximas idea of marketing it as such created a "market" ... Having seen the next gen CTS and the others of the "sport sedan" segment the new Maxima has a lot of lifting to do- as it is now its a great large sedan thats comfy, reliable and drives nice and has some quickness... but to play with this new crowed that you started mr nissan you are going to have to step it up- in looks, performance and options- imo it should draw looks from its supercar friend the GT-R, the skyline/infinity models of late etc - it almost should be a 4door GT-R - and one thing I hate in every damn car, and everyone has it, from a 10k to 100k car- if there is something on there it should be real and functional- from "plasic grates" to Fake intakes on the side/hood whatever it annoys me... make everything 'real' if that makes any sence (do I ever?)

As for a nice commute car that is nice and solid at 80++ MPH, my Murano was solid as a rock at 85 when I got up that high on long trips on the highway - and its also just as quiet and confidant as lower speeds... long term reviews etc have always commented on that about that one- I only can comment from experiance so thats why I draw on the Murano etc lol. My Quest, and its a big square van is decently solid for what it is as higher speeds- but I only have gotten it near 90 once- as the murano I had at the 85-90 a good bit of times, usualy without noticeing I was going that fast- it handels it so well. But thats if you want a crossover- for cars I dunno... I get kinda scared in my wife Civic at higher speeds :p

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sadly its not. Its still based around the Altima, and in fact from the belt line down its pretty much the same.(Obviously the outer sheet metal, fascias, lighting, etc are all new, but the structure is the same. I know for sure the floor, dash, etc is all carryover. Its only at the pillars it changes to have a slightly more aggressive windshield angle.

They are adding mood lighting to the IP and doors which is pretty sweet. Its the first Nissan to incorporate LED light pipes into its interior. Its also getting a soft IP with a fake stitch, to make it look like leather which was stitched together. Also a first for Nissan. this stitch on the IP alone is costing them like $50+ per IP, which is huge. Its a whole different skin and foam process which is quite expensive to pull off, all because of the stupid stitch seam which must be sown on the molded IP skin before sandwiching it all together and foam injecting it along with the plastic IP substrate. So you have the skin tool, to pre form the skin, then you have the sewing, then you have to mold the plastic IP substrate, and then you have one more "skinning" tool to merge the skin together with the plastic substrate and injecting the foam. and then when all that is done, it goes on yet another tool to cut the skin off from the IP where it does not get skin.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't even do 1k a month. What's your daily commute, Noodle? Or do you like drive around all day in your job?
Well I was in school up until about last week so I was looking at:

110 miles x 5 = 550 (work)
30 x 5 = 150 (school)
10 x 5 = 50 (second job)

That's about 750 right there for primary daily driving, I guess 250 weekly just doing other shit. Been driving a lot doing wedding planning and other stuff. Actually pretty nuts.

Siliconemelons

Sadly its not. Its still based around the Altima, and in fact from the belt line down its pretty much the same.(Obviously the outer sheet metal, fascias, lighting, etc are all new, but the structure is the same. I know for sure the floor, dash, etc is all carryover. Its only at the pillars it changes to have a slightly more aggressive windshield angle.

They are adding mood lighting to the IP and doors which is pretty sweet. Its the first Nissan to incorporate LED light pipes into its interior. Its also getting a soft IP with a fake stitch, to make it look like leather which was stitched together. Also a first for Nissan. this stitch on the IP alone is costing them like $50+ per IP, which is huge. Its a whole different skin and foam process which is quite expensive to pull off, all because of the stupid stitch seam which must be sown on the molded IP skin before sandwiching it all together and foam injecting it along with the plastic IP substrate. So you have the skin tool, to pre form the skin, then you have the sewing, then you have to mold the plastic IP substrate, and then you have one more "skinning" tool to merge the skin together with the plastic substrate and injecting the foam. and then when all that is done, it goes on yet another tool to cut the skin off from the IP where it does not get skin.
Dont Infinity's have the stiched leather dash look? seems like quite a process to create the look- having been in my friends 3rd row mercedes SUV thing ML? GL? the big one...and testing the new GM third row trifecta- Enclave Traverse etc- you can tell a big diff from doing that stiched look right (mercedes) and looking like it is an afterthought (GM...even the SRX gave me that feel)

The platform the Altima/Murano etc are on is not a bad platform...its just not... "sport car" able- unless they add to the underworkings a lot etc- and it will have the 3.7 right... I mean...there is not much to make people buy a maxima at the moment with the new Altimas on the showroom now that they got a redesign...and where is the new gen coupe- again if it goes head to head with the Genisis and the BRZ crowd it needs the 3.7 as well as a electronic mannual to go with the CVT- same on the maxima- give it the CVT- the newest one is great- but give people an electronic button for "standard mode" that has like 6-8 "gear" settings - an electronic mannual of those said gears and then "Smooth" mode or some fancy term that lets it run like a normal CVT... and how bitching would it be to toss a CVT in the Z and give it like 8 or whatever gears that the user could program...its not like it would be hard for the computer on the damn CVT to do this- add in some safety rules so someone cant f-up their car and it would be a tuners dream- have some presets in it etc etc.

and yes 50$ a shot it a big chunk of manufacturing change... the new taillights on the mustang cost about 1500$ for the array or something- it was on the chopping block before it intially got installed in a test car to show the suits etc....the dude that designed em stood by them it almost cost him his job...and now imo its one of the best things about the new gen mustangs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, not sure on the drivetrain or anything like that. Im just an interiors guy so thats what I know. Also I should of worded it different about the stitch. Its a real stitch, but a fake seam if that makes sense. So its the closest thing ou can get to a real stitch and seam without actually sewing the parts together.

Im sure Nissan had other fake stitching before, meaning that this stitch was actually fake and molded into the skin of the IP. This one is first for being a real stitch. Of course they had other real stitches on the console lid before.

The big deal about real stitch seams is they can now color match the stitch from the IP to the seats. I think, if Im not mistaken, one of the options was black seats and IP skin with a blue stitch, all color matched, and it looked pretty fucking badass from the renderings I saw.