Call of Duty : Ghost

Tol_sl

shitlord
I absolutely agree that CoD can be played as the new quake/UT style arcade shooter. That's actually why I'm so let down by this installment. The map size, abundant cover, lack of players to fill the maps, and instagib weapons have kind of discouraged the fast paced gameplay I wanted out of it. It feels more like playing a battlefield game now. Even worse is what they did to the shotguns. They're so worthless now.

E: did they slow down run speed too? It just feels sooooo slow, and god help you if you don't have marathon on maps like Stonehenge, or it's "run-walk-run-walk-run-walk" for about 45 seconds to get to the first flag.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
What are you guys talking about. If someone was asking for an alternative to Quake, Call of Duty should never even enter your mind.

It's faster than Battlefield, that's pretty much all you can say.

Column_sl

shitlord
PSn just gave me a 10 dollar coupon today for being loyal PSN customer.

Free upgrade for COD from ps3 to ps4!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Comparing this to quake or any old school shooter is a goddamn joke. Those games had lightning fast movement, a variety of situationally useful weapons to master, and maps with powerups and health packs that rewarded you for being able to run them backwards blindfolded using only sound queues. There was no minimap, you knew where your opponent was by the sounds he made. In quake a good player would go 50-0 against anyone not at their level. The skill gap was an ocean between continents.

COD is more like playing quake if everyone was confined to a wheelchair, and the starting machinegun fired railgun bullets at 1000rpm. The slow movement speed combined with the massive damage and barely existent recoil means it is virtually impossible to survive any engagement where the other person spotted you first, no matter if you are a FPS god and the other guy is a four year old paraplegic playing with a chin-stick. Not that this is much different than BF, but here the skill gap is even flatter because the guns are so much stronger and easier to handle and the maps are all a series of 8-way intersections. You will die so often to last place faggots squatting in a corner that you will be bleeding out of your eyeballs with rage by the end of any round for all the times you lost your kill streak to Timmy the camping retard.

Also, if you are playing on PC - and I have to assume you are because console FPS are for people whose only web browser is their phone - don't expect much in variety of game modes. Barely anyone plays this shit on PC. Like, at times when xbro was reporting 400k players I'd see 20k at best. In BLOPS2, the only game modes I ever got to work were team DM and sometimes kill confirmed and at ultimate peak hour maybe domination. The rest of the time it would search for games until the limit of my patience. (which, admittedly, isn't much longer than 15 minutes or so)

And don't even get me started on how fucking bullshit the entire idea of "lag compensation" is. I had to delete that rant from this post. Most people don't even understand what it is and mix it up with all kinds of other things like client side hit detection, or think it has anything at all to do with their own connection. It simply means if you shoot someone, the damage is delayed by THEIR ping to make things "fair" so they have time to react. So when you shoot someone with a 300ms ping from china you have to empty your entire clip into them before you see the result, making your 20ms ping feel like 2000. This bullshit should be capped at 100ms at most.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Also, if you are playing on PC - and I have to assume you are because console FPS are for people whose only web browser is their phone - don't expect much in variety of game modes. Barely anyone plays this shit on PC. Like, at times when xbro was reporting 400k players I'd see 20k at best. In BLOPS2, the only game modes I ever got to work were team DM and sometimes kill confirmed and at ultimate peak hour maybe domination. The rest of the time it would search for games until the limit of my patience. (which, admittedly, isn't much longer than 15 minutes or so)
This is basically the one game series I find to be better on console since MW2 or so. I bought this one on pc and was hugely disappointing. It was a shit port with bad optimization and no userbase.

I disagree though, even in its current form, it's basically the closest thing to a populated arena/deathmatch style shooter we have today that I can think of. Sure, there are no health packs or power weapons (In most modes. I actually like hunted a lot: you start with just a pistol and pick up weapons scattered around the map. Of course all my joy is buzzkilled due to the fact that there are a mere 83 people in the list, playing right now.) but I can cruise around railgunning people with quickscope sniper rifle railgun headshots exactly like I was playing quake and get crazy 30+ kill streaks. Older MWs also had old school FFA/barebones classic, which featured weapons and perks as arena style pickups and boosted health (2x knife stabs to kill, for example). There's nothing like that in this newest iteration, I believe. Hunted is cool though. Counterstrike and BF4 don't even have FFA modes, and what else in the genre nowadays even has a populated FFA mode, much less adheres to all of the things that made quake/UT arena shooters?

The time to kill in this one on some of the guns is stupidly low, especially with stuff like the MSBS that everyone and their dog is using. I could *definitely* fight back and win gunfights even when fired on first in other installments. That really doesn't happen much in ghosts.

E: From the steam active user game list. Here's what the options for a populated shooter are.

TF2 40k
CS:GO 40k
CS 1.6 20k
CS: Source 17k
COD BO2: 7k
Arma 3: 6k
Cod Ghosts 5k
Planetside 5k
CoD MW3: 5k
CoD BO1: 1.5k

Everything else is pretty much under 1k players and dead/matching you with people from eastern europe. As far as for PC gamers who want a fast paced, populated FFA game, I don't think you have any options better than CoD, especially given it's roughly half the options on the list, with the other half being counterstrike variants.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you ever heard of tribes? Its the only game on the market that comes close to quake. There is also the little indie game on my steam list bit I forget the name. Cod is nothing like those games.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Comparing this to quake or any old school shooter is a goddamn joke. Those games had lightning fast movement, a variety of situationally useful weapons to master, and maps with powerups and health packs that rewarded you for being able to run them backwards blindfolded using only sound queues. There was no minimap, you knew where your opponent was by the sounds he made. In quake a good player would go 50-0 against anyone not at their level. The skill gap was an ocean between continents.

COD is more like playing quake if everyone was confined to a wheelchair, and the starting machinegun fired railgun bullets at 1000rpm. The slow movement speed combined with the massive damage and barely existent recoil means it is virtually impossible to survive any engagement where the other person spotted you first, no matter if you are a FPS god and the other guy is a four year old paraplegic playing with a chin-stick. Not that this is much different than BF, but here the skill gap is even flatter because the guns are so much stronger and easier to handle and the maps are all a series of 8-way intersections. You will die so often to last place faggots squatting in a corner that you will be bleeding out of your eyeballs with rage by the end of any round for all the times you lost your kill streak to Timmy the camping retard.
Relevant

Tol_sl

shitlord
Have you ever heard of tribes? Its the only game on the market that comes close to quake. There is also the little indie game on my steam list bit I forget the name. Cod is nothing like those games.
Itotallyget what you're saying, really, I do. I loved the shit out of Tribes, UT, and Quake in the 90s. The new tribes is pay-to-win, full of problems, and no longer being given any dev support (To the point where they killed the forums for it) after they ditched it to work on a different piece of pay-to-win garbage.

No ones saying CoD is anywhere near as fast as games like UT or quake, just that it's pretty much one of the last populated FFA fragfest options. Lets not forget that Quake enemy territory was the last retail quake franchise game. And unreal 3 was the last we got from that franchise. Arena shooters died with a pathetic whimper and we're left with assorted BF4/CoD/CS modes to fill in the gap. Other than living in the past and sticking to nothing but quakeworld, there just really aren't many options for what I want.

I firmly feel like CoD is the closest thing there really is with any worthwhile population. I guess it helps that I thought railgun FFA mode was quake at its best.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Playing something from 1999 because nothing better has come out. Rerolled in a nutshell
cool.png
. I don't disagree, quake live rocks. I am however kind of sad that we're still playing something from so long ago because we just have heaps of shitty cod-clones as the norm now.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Youre mentioning the oldschool pre millennium shooters with this low bob fragfest games for dlc ridden consoles even in the same sentence?

anYQKNL_460sa.gif

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You didn't go fast!

DMK_sl

shitlord
Can anyone confirm.. So people are complaining the maps are too big for the amount of players per map on console.. It is to my understanding the Next-gen version will have an increased players per map like the PC versions?? Is this correct? Also would it alleviate so of the problems the game is having with map size?