Camelot Unchained MMO

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I haven't logged into the game in forever. I really need to check out and see what has been going on. I've just given less than 0 fucks of late to be bothered to check things out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seems like Crowfall having FFA pvp and having campaigns of set durations makes it stand out, but there's only two real PvP games on the horizon, CU and CF.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Seems like Crowfall having FFA pvp and having campaigns of set durations makes it stand out, but there's only two real PvP games on the horizon, CU and CF.
CU is much farther along in development and much less ambitious. Blame Koster.
wink.png
The two games have very different designs, from my limited knowledge of CF and it's strategy overlay. CU is on the horizon. My guess is CF won't release within two years of the other.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Last video by the makers of this game was released in december of last year - No gameplay footage at all on their youtube channel.

Anyone have any gameplay footage?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I'm in the alpha for this but they are pretty clear about not releasing gameplay footage. For good reason, the game really isnt much to look at right now. Each realm has 3 race class combos and the entire game is basically a big capture and hold BG set up in a fashion very similar to Daoc battlegrounds. They seem to be concentrating on netcode and overall stability at the moment so things like animations, performance, and (god I hope) the combat system aren't finalized. Over all the game is exactly what Mark Jacobs said it would be at this point, an oldschool true Alpha.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They seem to be concentrating on netcode and overall stability at the moment so things like animations, performance, and (god I hope) the combat system aren't finalized. Over all the game is exactly what Mark Jacobs said it would be at this point, an oldschool true Alpha.
You mean they are taking a sensible approach to development? I'm sure we can find a way to spin that into a negative somehow!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
CU is much farther along in development and much less ambitious. Blame Koster.
wink.png
The two games have very different designs, from my limited knowledge of CF and it's strategy overlay. CU is on the horizon. My guess is CF won't release within two years of the other.
They're making their own engine right? That's pretty ambitious! I look forward to seeing what they can create when they focus on an engine around mass PvP.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm in the alpha for this but they are pretty clear about not releasing gameplay footage. For good reason, the game really isnt much to look at right now. Each realm has 3 race class combos and the entire game is basically a big capture and hold BG set up in a fashion very similar to Daoc battlegrounds. They seem to be concentrating on netcode and overall stability at the moment so things like animations, performance, and (god I hope) the combat system aren't finalized. Over all the game is exactly what Mark Jacobs said it would be at this point, an oldschool true Alpha.
Can you elaborate on the pitfalls of the curent combat system for me?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
From what MJ said when I interviewed him two years ago, it's hotbar/tab target based combat. I have no idea what the specifics are about it, so I'm curious as well.

Vitality

HUSTLE
From what MJ said when I interviewed him two years ago, it's hotbar/tab target based combat. I have no idea what the specifics are about it, so I'm curious as well.
Yeah not too concerned with tabbing and hotbars - been down that path a hundred times.

Way more concerned with input delay and clunky controls that usually result from inhouse engine fuckery.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They're making their own engine right? That's pretty ambitious! I look forward to seeing what they can create when they focus on an engine around mass PvP.
This. I like the fact that they are focused on getting the mechanics and netcode tight first. Worry about the graphics later. Graphics are supremely important in the end and definitely help sell boxes. But if a game's mechanics suck then good graphics can't keep the players interested.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Can you elaborate on the pitfalls of the curent combat system for me?
I've spent a VERY small amount of time in game, but from my experience every skill has a cast time (including melee) that checks range at the end of the cast and animations are super basic atm so you are ice skating around with your sword in the air when casting your basic melee ability or whatever. I'm fairly confident that it is not representative of the final games combat system and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something that makes it less horrible that I am just missing. Honestly I feel like this is something that can be overlooked for right now. However if the gameplay feels the same in 6-8 months there may be some issues.

EDIT: Basically what I am saying here is that the current combat sucks balls, but likely does not reflect on what the final product with have.

Redtah_sl

shitlord
I've spent a VERY small amount of time in game, but from my experience every skill has a cast time (including melee) that checks range at the end of the cast and animations are super basic atm so you are ice skating around with your sword in the air when casting your basic melee ability or whatever. I'm fairly confident that it is not representative of the final games combat system and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something that makes it less horrible that I am just missing. Honestly I feel like this is something that can be overlooked for right now. However if the gameplay feels the same in 6-8 months there may be some issues.

EDIT: Basically what I am saying here is that the current combat sucks balls, but likely does not reflect on what the final product with have.
To be honest I haven't spent a lot of time in the IT, Real Life + playing other games when I have time) but what your feeling has been there since the start. There have been a lot of changes to the server and net code but not a whole lot in the "making this feel like a game" department. Until the server is rock solid and can handle whatever they are planning to throw at it they have pretty much pushed anything else to the wayside (not to say other things aren't being updated but do not be surprised if a lot feels weird / is weird until the server is 100% rock solid.) And yes everything is essentially a caster at the moment.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's really weird and makes me wonder how far away they really are. I think getting fluid gameplay is so critical because unless a game is fun to play at a core level all the stuff around it loses its flavor.

Vitality

HUSTLE
To be honest I haven't spent a lot of time in the IT, Real Life + playing other games when I have time) but what your feeling has been there since the start. There have been a lot of changes to the server and net code but not a whole lot in the "making this feel like a game" department. Until the server is rock solid and can handle whatever they are planning to throw at it they have pretty much pushed anything else to the wayside (not to say other things aren't being updated but do not be surprised if a lot feels weird / is weird until the server is 100% rock solid.) And yes everything is essentially a caster at the moment.
Yikes, I don't like the way this sounds.