Cancun

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How about a forum full of mostly North American based buddies?
Sure, send me $10k and I'll have it ready when you get kidnaped. Well, better make it $50k, just in case!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Anyone got any tips for Tulum? Going in a few weeks, staying in an airbnb villa. Already done Chichen Itza, cenotes, ruins etc on my last visit to PDC.

Just curious if there's any insights or tips for Tulum itself eg best bars, restaurants, areas etc

Sounds like you've already hit up the main tourist things. Though I'd hit up cenotes again. Awesome experience. You could also rent a catamaran one day. Go out on the ocean, catch some fresh fish and eat it right there.

I like strolling through old town Tulum. Get some quarter tacos (Taqueria La Chiapaneca) and fresh fruit margs (went to Charlie's, but I saw a bunch there serve them). It's so fucking cheap.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Sounds like you've already hit up the main tourist things. Though I'd hit up cenotes again. Awesome experience. You could also rent a catamaran one day. Go out on the ocean, catch some fresh fish and eat it right there.

I like strolling through old town Tulum. Get some quarter tacos (Taqueria La Chiapaneca) and fresh fruit margs (went to Charlie's, but I saw a bunch there serve them). It's so fucking cheap.

Cheers - we have a yacht booked. The whole thing is for content so it won't be fishing!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
lol Tulum. I had fun but I probably wouldn't go back.

Our villas were outside the hotel/beach zone and the taxi pricing takes the piss - $40 for a 10-15 minute ride. A couple of our group got shook down by the cops. One black dude ran away from them instead of going to the ATM lol.

On the final night we were at a pretty nice restaurant when I got a transaction declined text for £1000 to an Australian utility company, from a card I'd left at the Villa and not used all week. Within half an hour someone else from the group got hit with the same charge so we all had to dash back to the villa because we thought it had been robbed.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've heard Tulum has gotten shitty. I went in 2019 and it was dope but I heard COVID really changed the place. Sucks because it really is gorgeous.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Probably going here in March/April, choice seems to be between Playa and Tulum. You guys are saying Playa is better?

What's the language like? My wife is really stubborn and insistent and speaking English 100% of the time, the worst thing is that it's always worked, Polish Bus Driver is the one non English speaking demographic we found.

She's been here before and most of Central/South America... guess most of the tourists are American so any tourist facing person does too?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Probably going here in March/April, choice seems to be between Playa and Tulum. You guys are saying Playa is better?

What's the language like? My wife is really stubborn and insistent and speaking English 100% of the time, the worst thing is that it's always worked, Polish Bus Driver is the one non English speaking demographic we found.

She's been here before and most of Central/South America... guess most of the tourists are American so any tourist facing person does too?

Resorts will always speak English. Taxi drivers rarely speak English. And if you go into town you'll get a mix but English will mostly be fine.

What is it with Brits and always insisting on only speaking English?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Resorts will always speak English. Taxi drivers rarely speak English. And if you go into town you'll get a mix but English will mostly be fine.

What is it with Brits and always insisting on only speaking English?
It's objectively the best language so we need to encourage everyone else to learn it to speak to us!

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Chris where did you end up going to? We are thinking about going here in September and looking for recommendations.

Also has anyone tried any of the Costco vacation packages for Mexico? They look like pretty great deals.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Chris where did you end up going to? We are thinking about going here in September and looking for recommendations.

Also has anyone tried any of the Costco vacation packages for Mexico? They look like pretty great deals.

I've done playa del Carmen and Tulum. Avoid Tulum for reasons explained above

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

Went to Greece in the end sorry.

• 1Worf

Burns

Went to Greece in the end sorry.
lol, good choice. I would avoid Mexico when there are plenty of other beaches in the Caribbean. For example, the north side of Dominican Republic is supposed to be nice without the risk of Mexican Cartel violence.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Pacific side of Mexico is where it's at. The ocean water is cold but that's what the pool is for.

Animosity

The Pacific side of Mexico is where it's at. The ocean water is cold but that's what the pool is for.
Thats where I want to go. Hear nothing but good things about Puerto Vallarta. Talking my fiance into it is the problem. Shes too scared to leave an all inclusive and thinks Cancun is more safe.

Burns

I haven't followed Mexican cartel violence since before the Wuhanic Plague, but the Pacific side was safer back then, as the Cartels seemed much less active there, for what ever reason.

Stratfor used to give good briefs on cartel actions for free, but they moved all that to their paid service, which is rather expensive.

Here was the latest I could find from them (from 2021), and it's nothing compared to the write ups they used to do with maps and such:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Thats where I want to go. Hear nothing but good things about Puerto Vallarta. Talking my fiance into it is the problem. Shes too scared to leave an all inclusive and thinks Cancun is more safe.

I would say it's the opposite these days. Cabo is especially safer because it's so secluded on a peninsula. San Jose del Cabo is very nice. Pretty upscale. The all inclusives there are very nice and going into town is safe and honestly kinda bougie.

Animosity

I would say it's the opposite these days. Cabo is especially safer because it's so secluded on a peninsula. San Jose del Cabo is very nice. Pretty upscale. The all inclusives there are very nice and going into town is safe and honestly kinda bougie.
We arent too interested in Cabo. It was Cancun or PV really. If shes insistent on Cancun, Im gonna try to sway towards Playa del Carmen.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
We arent too interested in Cabo. It was Cancun or PV really. If shes insistent on Cancun, Im gonna try to sway towards Playa del Carmen.

Try the Riviera Cancun resorts as well. They are all the large ones between Cancun and Playa.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

PV is sick is too. Went there November 2022 with a big group for a 30th birthday. We had a great time. Fun town. Didn't do an all inclusive. Just a nice resort in the hills.

• 1Like