Cancun

Cybsled

Well, considering they found a bunch of dead bodies recently, it doesn't surprise me.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ill pass on narco state travel and vacation. My company I work for has 2 plants down there and even they issue travel bans because people getting kidnapped and shit, and this is in BFE mexico, let alone a tourist place.

Its funny because like 5 yrs ago, the cartels were pretty much staying away from tourist places, now they dont even give 2 fucks. The whole place needs to be nuked and re-grown.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Reds have a series in Monterrey next season and some friends and I are very interested in going. Surprisingly never been to Mexico.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
The Reds have a series in Monterrey next season and some friends and I are very interested in going. Surprisingly never been to Mexico.
As of now Monterrey's state has a level 3 travel advisory. The city itself isn't that far from a state with a level 4 advisory. I doubt it would get better by next year.

Monterrey is probably safe if you don't go out at night though.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I made it here via a stop in Miami for a connecting flight, gotta love everyone there speaking Spanish lol

So my resort is massive and like a small village, it's also not as close to PDC as I thought, the hotel runs shuttle buses there

How much stuff to see and do is there in PDC itself bearing in mind I'm all inclusive and will be eating at hotel majority of time? (But will still want to sample something different)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
So I made it here via a stop in Miami for a connecting flight, gotta love everyone there speaking Spanish lol

So my resort is massive and like a small village, it's also not as close to PDC as I thought, the hotel runs shuttle buses there

How much stuff to see and do is there in PDC itself bearing in mind I'm all inclusive and will be eating at hotel majority of time? (But will still want to sample something different)

I rode an excursion company's shuttle through here on the way to Tulum. It looked like a bombed out warzone while going along the elevated highway through the city. Trash was piled everywhere in the streets and the buildings were pretty decrepit.

Maybe there is a better section for tourists, but it didn't seem like a great place to be.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I rode an excursion company's shuttle through here on the way to Tulum. It looked like a bombed out warzone while going along the elevated highway through the city. Trash was piled everywhere in the streets and the buildings were pretty decrepit.

Maybe there is a better section for tourists, but it didn't seem like a great place to be.

I went to 5th Avenue which is the main tourist strip, full of souvenir stores and tourist restaurants. Used some bloggers recommendation to check out a restaurant adjacent to the strip and it was really good. Can't see myself going back to PDC, maybe to check out the nightlife but it's low season and can't be arsed to spend money getting drunk when alcohol is free at my resort

But yeah, the surrounding roads were a bit shabby but nothing overly extreme.

The food at my resort is interesting, the breakfast and lunch buffets are good, but the evening a la carte restaurants are funny; they're all world themed e.g. Teppanyaki, Cajun, French etc but of course all staffed by Mexicans.

They all seem like a pastiche of the real thing, so the French restaurant was the only one that requires long trousers to be worn and it mimics the fine dining experience and the interior had the Sistine Chapel artwork on the ceiling, food served under metal lids etc but the food itself is clearly mass produced

I'm currently eating "duck plantation style" in the Cajun place, lol

Going to Chitchen Itza tomorrow and Tulum Friday

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So I just locked myself and a friend in for this.

Home - Phish: Rivera Maya 2019

Never been to Mexico but I'm fucking stoked. What offsite things are worth doing? Snorkeling from a catamaran is on the list for sure. But is Chichen Itza or Tulum worth it? What about Rio Secreto?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Chichen itza yes

Tulum ruins was nothing special but you combine that trip with Coba which was awesome because its in the jungle and you can climb the tallest structure

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ended up taking a day trip to Tulum and I loved. But I speak decent enough Spanish to find the local joints. Went to this place that had the dopest al pastor tacos for fucking $0.50 and a place with mezcal boilermakers for $3.50. Plus the cenote outside of town was phenomenal. Lotta IG babes in thong bikinis posing for pics.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone been to the Cancun area in 2021? I saw that you don't have to have a test to travel TO Mexico, but you do have to have one to come back. Did your all-inclusive include a test or something?

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not Cancun but I just came back from a Yucatan trip a few weeks ago. Check the airport. Merida International had walk-in Covid testing. In and out in about 30 minutes and only cost $37 USD.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Not Cancun but I just came back from a Yucatan trip a few weeks ago. Check the airport. Merida International had walk-in Covid testing. In and out in about 30 minutes and only cost $37 USD.

Thanks man, were you required to get one before they would let you on the flight back to the US?

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yep. Just like you said. Not required to get into Mexico but had to present negative test alongside passport to get through security and onto the plane back to the US.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyone got any tips for Tulum? Going in a few weeks, staying in an airbnb villa. Already done Chichen Itza, cenotes, ruins etc on my last visit to PDC.

Just curious if there's any insights or tips for Tulum itself eg best bars, restaurants, areas etc

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone got any tips for Tulum?
Make sure to have a phone a friend lifeline set up with access to $10,000 ransom!

Fun fact: Strangely enough, the State of Yucatan to the west/northwest of Quintana Roo is the safest State in Mexico by a large margin.
2023-10-01 12.51.12 www.google.com c410c7cb7b17.png