Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Am I the only person who thought WS was "only" pretty good? Maybe I waited too long to watch it - it was a couple weeks after release - and got too worked up over all the hype, but I didn't really think it was all that amazing. I hope and am expecting to like this one a good deal more.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I think one of the things that Winter Soldier benefits from, is being drastically different from the typical super hero movie is all.

Civil War is great, but following up on the heels of Winter Soldier, I would have liked a little something more from the story line.

Goes without saying I suppose, but I wouldn't see it in 3D. That would be my only complaint. The only English language viewing was in 3D and I found the action sequences to be hard to follow, which I think had something to do with the 3D. Though I could be wrong. Either way, the 3D wasn't impressive.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Spoiler tag just in case but not really a spoiler.

I haven't seen the movie but I think it's quite obvious at this point they didn't go the comic book route with the ending but i'm not sure why would they need to shy away from it? Now that you have the magic and spiritual side of Marvel in the film universe in addition to the Infinity Gems, you can pull off pretty well anything you want and reverse it.

I think they should have went for a major death and have that as the tipping point in Infinity War part 2 in defeating Thanos

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Continuing that speculation:

My only guess is perhaps they want to wait until the Infinity War movies for the meaningful death(s), but agree they've got a good opportunity to do something impactful and let it stick for a year or two until using it as a stinger for the end of Infinity War Part 1 or something to bring them back and help turn the tide for the second.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Continuing that speculation:

My only guess is perhaps they want to wait until the Infinity War movies for the meaningful death(s), but agree they've got a good opportunity to do something impactful and let it stick for a year or two until using it as a stinger for the end of Infinity War Part 1 or something to bring them back and help turn the tide for the second.
Agreed, they may yet still do something. It's not very often you have a situation like this where if you chose to leverage something like an infinity gem to reset a bad situation and it be accepted by the audience.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They need to stay the fuck away from resurrections. They can have one set at the end of infinity war if they properly establish the power of the glove, even then it's risky.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Just got back from seeing it finally and I obviously really enjoyed it.

The only thing that can really be seen as a criticism is that the movie is a little bit of a gigantic sequence of introductions for new members of the MCU and potential foreshadowing for future movies rather than a a complete movie unto itself.

Criticism of the main villain can be put into this same category as Baron Zemo is the leader of the Thunderbolts, a team which James Gunn has already said he wants to direct and as they're a team that are much more a part of the mainstream earth based Marvel universe than GoTG I'd be surprised if they aren't considering bringing them in.

I don't agree AT ALL with them killing off major characters, it's a fucking hack move when they do it in the comics that 99.9% of the time is used to garner interest in characters whose popularity is dipping.

Fuck Joss Whedon for killing off Quicksilver and fuck him for hating Punisher and wanting to kill him off.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from seeing it finally and I obviously really enjoyed it.

The only thing that can really be seen as a criticism is that the movie is a little bit of a gigantic sequence of introductions for new members of the MCU and potential foreshadowing for future movies rather than a a complete movie unto itself.

Criticism of the main villain can be put into this same category as Baron Zemo is the leader of the Thunderbolts, a team which James Gunn has already said he wants to direct and as they're a team that are much more a part of the mainstream earth based Marvel universe than GoTG I'd be surprised if they aren't considering bringing them in.

I don't agree AT ALL with them killing off major characters, it's a fucking hack move when they do it in the comics that 99.9% of the time is used to garner interest in characters whose popularity is dipping.

Fuck Joss Whedon for killing off Quicksilver and fuck him for hating Punisher and wanting to kill him off.
I'm not necessarily for the killing off of any characters either but you do want some added emotion and while it's predictable due to the comics it would be unpredictable to me that they went through with it. I'm watching it at 7:45 this evening so i'll be curious to see how I feel about it.

I don't think anyone has to die in any movie but the heroes are going to have to get their backs against the wall at some point and we just don't have enough Thanos to feel that our heroes are overpowered. I think the loss of Cap or Ironman would have put the team in distress. We still have to figure out how they're going to deal with the gem in Vision as well.

Good stuff ahead though regardless.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ant-man kills it, easily the best superhero in this movie. That fight scene was incredible and hilarious, so much humor I wasnt expecting

Devlin

Golden Squire
I dunno, Falcon and Bucky and Spidey had a great moment during that scene though Ant-Man was pretty fucking great too.

This movie is a stark reminder of the difference between the Disney/Marvel franchise and the DC franchise, during that scene I was thinking about how much visually brighter the Marvel movies are and how everything flows so well and fits together in a way the DC movies fall flat on. BvS was so badly edited it should never ever have been passed for release like that and if that was the actual movie they intended to release then they need to fire the writers/director.

In the Marvel movies the humour is always there and it's fits because the characters are well rounded and are capable of different emotions unlike the DC trio who are all absolutely one dimensional characters with little to no personality.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I'm not necessarily for the killing off of any characters either but you do want some added emotion and while it's predictable due to the comics it would be unpredictable to me that they went through with it. I'm watching it at 7:45 this evening so i'll be curious to see how I feel about it.

I don't think anyone has to die in any movie but the heroes are going to have to get their backs against the wall at some point and we just don't have enough Thanos to feel that our heroes are overpowered. I think the loss of Cap or Ironman would have put the team in distress. We still have to figure out how they're going to deal with the gem in Vision as well.

Good stuff ahead though regardless.
I can't think of a single time a superhero has been killed off and it hasn't gone down like a lead balloon, it just isn't what the stories are supposed to about. Also why would Marvel kill a character that can potentially make them a billion dollars one day? It's cheap heat, ask Superman and the Ultimates.

The way they go about it in this movie is absolutely the correct way to go about it, a hero is very badly injured leaving his future as a hero in question, that's as dark as they need to go, these aren't stories that are supposed to make you feel like shit, they're supposed to instill a sense of hope.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
$261m globally going into what some are expecting to be a as much as a $200m domestic opening weekend.

Fadaar

That guy
The interactions between the main male cast on Cap's side (Bucky, Falcon, Cap) were fuckin' hilarious. Falcon really does not like Bucky.

Homsar

Besides Guardians, this has the most humor out of all the marvel movies. Even scenes where Bucky and Falcon are sitting in a car together got laughs out of me, I kind of miss Bucky not wearing his Mask, that look in Winter Soldier was awesome.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got back from seeing this. My first reaction was WOW! That was a great movie. I realize that I'm overly positive about almost everything, and I tried to look at this with a negative angle. There were a few subtle things that I didn't like, but they were so small that nothing is popping into my head right now. The new Spider-Man is great. He really plays the character well. And the whole "origin" story lasted all of 5 minutes. Marvel could easily do the same thing with the Fantastic Four, should they ever acquire the rites again, or work a deal with Fox for those characters.

Anyway, the movie had very clear motivation for all of the characters, except a few. I understand why everyone on Iron Man's side joined the fight the way they did, but they could have been clearer about Captain America's side. Specifically Hawkeye. Cap called him, so he's there. But what is the reasoning behind supporting Cap instead of IM? Same with Falcon, really. I mean, he's friends with Steve, but why did he decide to go that direction? Was he just being a Steve follower? I wish there was a little clarification to that. Actually, Ant Man as well, but I guess you could take the allure of helping some Avengers, but then again, why did he fight other Avengers? Oh well, it's a smallish complaint.

So the overall feel of the movie was great. It definitely felt "epic". I've read that it's the longest Marvel movie, so I'll accept that. It didn't feel long, though. There weren't many dull moments. The humor was good. Spider-Man talking non-stop during the fight scenes was awesome. It felt like Deadpool in that regard, except he didn't break the 4th wall. Black Panther was a nice new addition as well. He was a badass. If you're a fan of Marvel movies, you'll love this. If you're half and half about Marvel Movies, you'll love this. Even though this was only my first time seeing the film, I feel comfortable saying it's in my top 3-5. Ant Man, Iron Man, Cap 2, Cap 3, Avengers 1. Those are my current favorites. Guardians takes a 6th spot. And I'm not certain the order of my top 5, except that Iron Man and Avengers are towards the bottom of that list, but that's only after multiple viewings. Cap 2 & 3 are home runs. Ant Man was also a very fun movie (He's the person with "The Flash"s mentality in the Marvel Universe). Actually, I think that sums up the top 6. Cap 2, Cap 3, Ant Man, Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Stop reading this and go watch the movie.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We just got back. We sat in the nerd section, apparently. That one scene where the one hero shows off a new power, the nerd behind me lost his shit. Huge nerdgasm, I thought we were going to have to call 911.

I can't even remember what that sad DC movie we watched before was about. You know, the one that came out earlier this year?

Homsar

There was quite a few moments where the entire audience of nerds lost their shit. The last 40 mins of the movie I was pretty much in awe. My biggest complaint that I dont see everyone mentioning is.

Vision is the most useless superhero, he did jack shit besides phase through Antman for some humor

I was very disappointed with Ultron/Dark World and this restored any faith I had lost in Marvel