Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Its definitely up their with IM1, GoTG, WS and Avengers 1 for me. The action scenes and humor makes me want to rank it above Avengers 1

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Largely unprecedented.

5 films..(not including TV) Planet of the apes, Beneath the planet of the apes, Escape from the planet of the apes, Conquest of the planet of the apes, and Battle for planet of the apes.
Godzilla franchise. Mothra had its own movie, BEFORE joining Godzilla. So did Rodan. many of these all had their own movies, then later came together. Destroy all Monsters. honestly the more you look at it, it really is the model for which Marvel is following.
Dollars trilogy. Alot of Spheghetti westerns had crossover characters. Suggesting a great many were intended to be a singular universe.

then do you consider freddy vs jason, Alien vs predator?

In books/comics/etc.

Lovecraft horror, Conan, and Soloman Kane, share a singular world.
Hyboriea is the world before, which is destroyed, remade, into the current world, of Kane, and later Lovecraft/dunwich, etc. Howard and Lovecraft were good friends.
Sharing a singular universe/world and doing what the MCU is doing are two different things, that's why I drew a distinction and didn't mention any of that crap. These movies have direct tie-ins to one another, it's like they're non-sequel sequels. I can't imagine what the room-sized white-board (or old-school bulletin board with pins/strings) Feige and crew work with to plan out all of this shit.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sharing a singular universe/world and doing what the MCU is doing are two different things, that's why I drew a distinction and didn't mention any of that crap. These movies have direct tie-ins to one another, it's like they're non-sequel sequels. I can't imagine what the room-sized white-board (or old-school bulletin board with pins/strings) Feige and crew work with to plan out all of this shit.
This was going to be my response.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I don't think they had a real plan during Hulk or even Iron Man. But the way they've worked everything together since then has been pretty awesome.

Fadaar

That guy
Biggest laugh, maybe of the movie were nearly back to back:

"can you move the seat up" followed by both WS scooting over and the two of them nodding their heads after the kiss
I about lost it with that scene. Falcon is so butthurt by Bucky breaking up his potential bromance.

Do you guys remember that really old movie named Empire Strikes Back?
I can't be the only one who had the exact same thought going through my head the entire time that was taking place, long before Peter said it.

Column_sl

shitlord
I love Winter Soldier, but this movie is it for me.

I crown this so far the best Marvel Movie.

The 2nd viewing was better then the first. I didn't even realize they made a joke about BVS when Falcon said " are we supposed to be best buddys now" when asking about the mom.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
This, there are plenty of movies which occupy a linear continuity and thus 'share a universe'--but those are sequels, Terminator, Apes, Godfather--there are a lot of them.

The difference here is you have stand alone movies, with direct references to other films in the universe, including cross overs and direct effects from one film, happening in another, without the two movies being true sequels. Aside from Godzilla, as Cal mentioned, I can't think of another movie series like this. Some article said it, the MCU feels more like a long TV series on film, rather than movies.

Column_sl

shitlord
They're still movies tho that are part of a larger story.

A TV series would take a whole season , or 22 hours to tell the same story.

One of the things that make movies different is to be able to tell an epic story in such a short time frame. It's an art of editing.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't think it was all that good. Felt forced the whole way by the veteran cast. I didn't much care for Avengers 2 either so there is that.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah a few people said it was good but not great. However it IS better than A2 and quite a few others. Im looking forward to Xmen later this month and WoW.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Its not perfect but its right below Winter Soldier, the airport scene is easily the best action scene out of any marvel studio film

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Saw this last last night. My top 5 are so hard to list because they are all so close to one another. This is in my top 5....probably top three. I know it didn't pass Guardians of the Galaxy as my favorite though.

Ant Man, for me, was the greatest part of the movie. Paul Rudd continues to be the perfect casting choice for that roll.

On a side note, I want to get that shot in the bunker where Iron Man is blastin gCap as he's holding his shield and it sorta freezes there for a moment as my desktop. If anyone finds this, please post it.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
5 years ago i couldnt imagine coming out of a theatre thinking how great characters like Black Panther and Ant Man were. It is amazing how well Marvel handles their characters. This movie was way better than A2.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
5 years ago i couldnt imagine coming out of a theatre thinking how great characters like Black Panther and Ant Man were. It is amazing how well Marvel handles their characters. This movie was way better than A2.
Black Panther's been one of my favorites since the 70's.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ant Man, for me, was the greatest part of the movie. Paul Rudd continues to be the perfect casting choice for that roll.
Marvel has done a great job of making you care about characters no one gave a shit about back in the day. Paul Rudd has nailed Ant Man just as well as RDJ nailed Iron Man. I can't wait to get Ant Man and Star Lord along side of each other.