Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He stated while talking to Scarlet Witch that he didn't know what the mind crystal in his head was. That he couldn't use it properly. That he can't control it. He is trying to understand everything about it more so that he can eventually make it his to use as he pleases. That will probably come into play during Infinity Gauntlet 2.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have a question about one of the after credit scenes (Yes, there were 2)

Don't click this unless you want to get spoiled.
What was that spider-beacon thing? It looked like a computer console layout. Is this something new to the books, or movie exclusive?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Liked it. It had some flaws, namely it would be nice to see a Marvel movie from Disney where there is a real bad guy and the heroes don't cause all the problems they are dealing with again and the fairly Wile E Coyote like plan the antagonist had. I can't believe I am saying this, but Eisenberg Luthor had better reasoning and a better thought out plan than the guy in this movie. Disney Marvel desperately needs another Loki like villain or five out there, because watching the heroes fucking things up movie after movie is going to get old pretty fast and it already has.

But... this was a vastly superior movie to Age of Ultron and made excellent use of the enormous ensemble cast. More importantly, the humor and human feeling were there in the characters. I would say Winter Soldier was the better movie from a story level, but this movie had great acting and dialog. This really should have been the second Avengers movie, honestly.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Went and watch this last night and was very impressed. I feel it was definitely the best Marvel "movie" to date or at least up there with IM and Avengers. However, this movie had a pretty solid story and some good acting by everyone. To me, it didn't rely on simply the "wow" factor of the characters and their powers, though it was there but I really enjoyed seeing the movie progress and the plot unravel.

Pros:
-Great pacing. Better than expected. Moments I was afraid would last too long, especially Capt dialogue, kept moving.
-Every actor got their time and execute their part perfectly
-Newcomers were awesome
-Spiderman and Ant-Man were the highlights of the show
-Comedy was spot on
-They poked fun at their own questionable movie direction and choices (i.e. Aunt May)

Cons
-Zemo should have put on the mask at the end or a post-credit scene
-I felt like we have 3 movies cut up into 1. Though it worked once you watched the entire movie.
-Stark finding out about his Father & Mother should have come way before learning it wasn't Bucky's fault. I just think Tony should have been more sensible knowing that he was programmed but maybe not. He's a mess.
-If there's no Pepper then why keep referencing her? We know she's gone, we know it's a problem but it's been established already. Just thought they are trying way too hard to display Tony's got a messed up life.

Questions
Are we to assume Black Widow has taken some variation of the Super Solider Serum? She is obvious much stronger than Hawkeye and can seem to hold her own against just about anyone and everyone. I remember that in the comics but wasn't sure if they ever addressed?
When we see Captain America talk to Falcon at the end, did he break them out because Zemo already broke out or did he do this on his own and Zemo is still a cell somewhere? I couldn't tell if that was a trail of dead guards or just knocked out. I just missed pieces of that sequence getting the kids together I think.
Are we to assume the gadget Tony Stark was messing with at MIT will lead to Winter Solider's mental cure?
So is Black Panther next in the story arc? I'm assuming Hulk and Thor are going to deal with their own issues and possibly run into Thanos.

Definitely going to watch it again, probably an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Yeah, Winter Soldier was a better story by a mile but this movie had the feel good Guardians of the Galaxy humour and had much better action scenes than anything else so far.

In their current format they need to do movies like this once in a while where new heroes are introduced to the fold so they can build hype for future solo movies, I would prefer that they do that under the banner of the Avengers though rather than a solo movie but thems the breaks.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
One thing that stopped me from enjoying the movie was the dread of this happening. I had a hard time enjoying the jokes by Ant Man, Spiderman, or even the three dudes in a car when I was expecting this to happen at the end, like the comic book.

rrr_img_133101.jpg

Devlin

Golden Squire
One thing that stopped me from enjoying the movie was the dread of this happening. I had a hard time enjoying the jokes by Ant Man, Spiderman, or even the three dudes in a car when I was expecting this to happen at the end, like the comic book.

rrr_img_133101.jpg
I was also absolutely dreading the possibility of that happening, Steve Rogers is absolutely my favourite Avenger.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Saw it last night in IMAX 3D. Absolutely loved it. I'm always a little disappointed that IMAX leaves you no choice but to watch 3D, but at least theirs is usually the best. On that front, the opening fight scene felt harder to follow in 3D than any of the subsequent action scenes, but I *feel* like that was on purpose, that they shot it in more of a jerky and quick-cut manner, but whether that is true, or it was just me taking time getting used to the 3D glasses, I can't be certain. Regardless, after that scene I barely noticed that I was watching 3D. I honestly don't know that it added anything other than the one scene with Falcon
and Redwing!!!,
but it was probably there and just not "in your face."

I would probably give this an 8.5/10. It would be a 9, except for my problem with the overall plot, so I have to deduct .5 for that. It isn't enough to ruin the movie by a long shot, and it does the job of getting all these heroes together and at odds with each other, but it just bugs me when they use a "Wile E Coyote" plan as Phazael mentioned above. If your plan requires step-by-step precision and people reacting in specific ways, and any one thing goes wrong causes the plan to fall apart, how is that a good plan? Easiest example of many in that regard is if Tony had not
convinced Falcon to give up the location of the secret Hydra base (which is a whole other can of worms, but assuming Bucky knew right where it was, is stealing a Quinjet really the only way they could get there??)
then that whole ending sequence doesn't happen and the plan fails. You can't tell me that the bad guy knew that would happen.

That's really the only problem I have with the movie. I give it a 9 without that simply because it isn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was still really fucking awesome. I really like Falcon and how they have handled him (particularly the new stuff in this movie), and I loved the interaction between him and Bucky. I really liked Black Panther, and feel like he struck the perfect balance between regal sophistication and being a badass. I was kind of meh on his movie before (although I've always been fascinated by the Wakanda stuff), but now I'm really looking forward to it. Vision is coming along well, and I'll give him a pass for not just owning everyone due to the self-proclaimed lack of understanding. I also like the Vision/Scarlet Witch relationship that is budding, for obvious comic book reasons. It goes without saying that I fucking love Scarlet Witch in the movies, and other than the accent which bugs me a little, she's just killing it in the role. And she's so goddamn hot.

The real standouts, as mentioned, were Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Ant-Man is probably fairly expected after his movie, and I won't go into specifics, but I think everyone agrees he was great. Spider-Man, however, just fucking blew me away. I liked Toby Peter a lot, and my hatred for John Ralphio Peter is well documented. This fucking guy blows both of them away. I was extremely skeptical going in, but he kills it. THIS is the Spider-Man we've always wanted. His chatter is perfectly in-line with his character and not dickish or forced, and not at all distracting. And his power level will be great. I say will be because it is obvious he's still new to all this and still learning, because otherwise he'd have just wrecked almost everyone there except Vision and Scarlet Witch. And if SW has to use her hands to use her powers, he'd have handled her quickly as well I'm sure.

Anyway, gushing aside, the thing that impresses me the most is that, by and large, I've never really cared about any of these characters much in the comics. Aside from Spider-Man anyway. But I love their movie counterparts, and would watch a hundred movies about all of them, consecutively, if I could.

I still rank GotG higher than this, and probably Avengers 1. Hard to say where the others fall exactly, but this one is around the same level as Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1 and Ant-Man for me.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Saw it last night. It felt a little disjointed to me...I didn't dislike it, but the reason for the "civil war" never felt powerful enough to warrant that level of in-fighting until the end with
IronMan and Winter.
The big action sequence in the middle was awesome, but I felt like the jokes and "still friends?" added to the idea that this issue isn't big enough to be trying to kill each other over.

I'll probably need another viewing to really decide its place in the universe, but it's probably below Winter Soldier, IM1, Avengers, and Guardians. Above Cap 1 and Thor 1 for sure, but it just missed the mark for me so it falls into the A-, B+ area with stuff like Avengers 2 and Thor 2.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that this was my best viewing experience in a long time for one reason. I went with some friends/coworkers, and my (older) boss is a huge Captain America fan. Surpassed only by his love for Spider-Man. He isn't internet savvy and doesn't watch much TV, so he wasn't aware that Spider-Man would be in it, and I swore everyone else to secrecy about it (even those that really don't understand comics much but still enjoy the movies). The scene where they introduced Peter Parker, my boss looked exactly like a kid on Christmas morning that expected socks but instead sees a shiny new bike sitting there. He was just blown away, and couldn't stop talking about it afterward, and how awesome their new take on the character was. It truly was fun to see.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The fact that pretty much everyone on RR agrees that the MCU movies are knocking it out of the park, and yet you rarely see anyone with the same "rank" list of best to worst (barring IM3 and such), is just so inspiring. It just goes to show they're all great movies, and personal rankings just come down to personal taste. I am such a huge MCU Marvel fanboi at this point, and I just can't express how great it feels to see this huge forecast of MCU movies on the horizon, and pretty muchknowthey're all going to be good, great, or fantastic.

God damn, well played Disney, Marvel, and Feige. The fact that cinema has never before seen this many (or really any meaningful number of?) movies tied together like this, and on their first attempt they're killing it, is just phenomenal. I think the closest it gets prior would be Harry Potter? But that's just a straight series of 8 movies in a linear fashion (and based off of best-selling books, to boot). The MCU movies and their ties together are an entirely different beast, I'm so damn impressed.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that this was my best viewing experience in a long time for one reason. I went with some friends/coworkers, and my (older) boss is a huge Captain America fan. Surpassed only by his love for Spider-Man. He isn't internet savvy and doesn't watch much TV, so he wasn't aware that Spider-Man would be in it, and I swore everyone else to secrecy about it (even those that really don't understand comics much but still enjoy the movies). The scene where they introduced Peter Parker, my boss looked exactly like a kid on Christmas morning that expected socks but instead sees a shiny new bike sitting there. He was just blown away, and couldn't stop talking about it afterward, and how awesome their new take on the character was. It truly was fun to see.
I'd kinda forgotten about this until they went into the recruitment bit, the whole theater was giggling and happy, it was awesome.

Biggest laugh, maybe of the movie were nearly back to back:

"can you move the seat up" followed by both WS scooting over and the two of them nodding their heads after the kiss

Caliane

The fact that pretty much everyone on RR agrees that the MCU movies are knocking it out of the park, and yet you rarely see anyone with the same "rank" list of best to worst (barring IM3 and such), is just so inspiring. It just goes to show they're all great movies, and personal rankings just come down to personal taste. I am such a huge MCU Marvel fanboi at this point, and I just can't express how great it feels to see this huge forecast of MCU movies on the horizon, and pretty muchknowthey're all going to be good, great, or fantastic.

God damn, well played Disney, Marvel, and Feige. The fact that cinema has never before seen this many (or really any meaningful number of?) movies tied together like this, and on their first attempt they're killing it, is just phenomenal. I think the closest it gets prior would be Harry Potter? But that's just a straight series of 8 movies in a linear fashion (and based off of best-selling books, to boot). The MCU movies and their ties together are an entirely different beast, I'm so damn impressed.
Largely unprecedented.

5 films..(not including TV) Planet of the apes, Beneath the planet of the apes, Escape from the planet of the apes, Conquest of the planet of the apes, and Battle for planet of the apes.
Godzilla franchise. Mothra had its own movie, BEFORE joining Godzilla. So did Rodan. many of these all had their own movies, then later came together. Destroy all Monsters. honestly the more you look at it, it really is the model for which Marvel is following.
Dollars trilogy. Alot of Spheghetti westerns had crossover characters. Suggesting a great many were intended to be a singular universe.

then do you consider freddy vs jason, Alien vs predator?

In books/comics/etc.

Lovecraft horror, Conan, and Soloman Kane, share a singular world.
Hyboriea is the world before, which is destroyed, remade, into the current world, of Kane, and later Lovecraft/dunwich, etc. Howard and Lovecraft were good friends.

Cybsled

Just got back from seeing it. Great flick, as others have stated, Antman and Spiderman were great. Black Panther was also a badass.

I do agree the Civil War reasoning earlier was sort of half hearted and Warmachine getting hurt almost struck me as a bunch of siblings having a fight, then someone legitimately gets hurt by accident and everyone kind of stops. I did buy the motivation at the end, though, for Tony. Especially considering the fact the murder of his parents was completely unneeded. If he had just grabbed the formula and took off, it still would have been a successful mission.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah movie should have started with Tony finding out Winter Soldier crashed the car and thats what killed his parents, that would have made a lot more sense for his motivation through out the movie. The secret video of the incident and how much it shows of WS killing his mom was way to forced

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, you guys are now spoiling the last 10 minutes of the movie. Maybe you should put that in a spoiler tag.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah movie should have started with Tony finding out Winter Soldier crashed the car and thats what killed his parents, that would have made a lot more sense for his motivation through out the movie. The secret video of the incident and how much it shows of WS killing his mom was way to forced
Yes, but these are minor gripes to a really good movie. Unfortunately, the Marvel movies tend to have villains with razor thin character development.