Captain Marvel (2019)

Jive Turkey

Karen
She does the job is the right way to say it. She frowns (mostly), she smiles when asked to, but there's about not much spontaneity or personality injected in the job.
The biggest cringe is the neighbor which she thinks is Talos, but the entire scene is completely wrong from the script itself so the blame is shared there.

And of course it does not help she spends quite a lot of screen time opposite Jackson who does Jackson things.

It didn't work because it wasn't at all consistent with her character. In all the past scenes where it becomes apparent that a person is a skrull in disguise, it's met with an immediate photon blast to the chest. Here it was "I know who you are TALOS. Okay, bye now, we're just closing the door". It was mostly a writing error, but Larson didn't deliver any of her quips or comedic bits very well at all. She just doesn't have the personality, unlike Hemsworth who pulls that stuff off perfectly

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
imo the difference between coulson and fury was:

coulson only had a MINOR role, thus they did not put in the work to "finish" the look, while Fury's char was in a significant portion of the movie, so they spent more time "finishing" his look.
thought coulson's deaging looked a bit weird, fury's looked fine.

As for the no hug pictures, she was behind the counter for those 2 guy pictures, and not for the others.

also.

no way in hell can CM beat thanos..her power comes from ONE of the infinity stones, he has ALL of them-including the stone she GOT the power from (in a round about fashion) he should be able to just "suck" the power out of her.

imo a -different way they could have gone. the gauntlet cannot effect people that have touched/used/powers derived from the different stones.

we have:
Danvers- Space
Quil/rest of GOTG team- Power (plus he is some sort of half ultra powered alien)-only rocket left.
Strange - Time
Maximof (Wanda) &/or Vision- Mind
Jane Foster- Reality
Soul???

they have had contact with the stones themselves, thus could/should be able to help combat the gauntlet due to being partially immune to the powers

but alas, quil strange and wanda got snapped, no idea about Foster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
imo the difference between coulson and fury was:

coulson only had a MINOR role, thus they did not put in the work to "finish" the look, while Fury's char was in a significant portion of the movie, so they spent more time "finishing" his look.
thought coulson's deaging looked a bit weird, fury's looked fine.

As for the no hug pictures, she was behind the counter for those 2 guy pictures, and not for the others.

also.

no way in hell can CM beat thanos..her power comes from ONE of the infinity stones, he has ALL of them-including the stone she GOT the power from (in a round about fashion) he should be able to just "suck" the power out of her.

imo a -different way they could have gone. the gauntlet cannot effect people that have touched/used/powers derived from the different stones.

we have:
Danvers- Space
Quil/rest of GOTG team- Power (plus he is some sort of half ultra powered alien)-only rocket left.
Strange - Time
Maximof (Wanda) &/or Vision- Mind
Jane Foster- Reality
Soul???

they have had contact with the stones themselves, thus could/should be able to help combat the gauntlet due to being partially immune to the powers

but alas, quil strange and wanda got snapped, no idea about Foster.

I mean really when you think about it the sheer power of the infinity gauntlet would make him unbeatable , so any way they take him down will be riddled with plot holes. Still it wouldn't make for an interesting story if Thanos was just unstoppable Jesus.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
isn't the gauntlet all fucked up after the snap? thought it was smoking and shit at the end of infinity war

was Natalie Portman affected by one of the stones? I don't honestly remember anything about thor 2 other than some gay dark elves dancing around and Darcy's titties

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
after unsuccessfully fighting Thanos for 1 hour and 45 mins CM will eventually arrive, sit Thanos down and explai to him how he is full of toxic masculinity and how his 50% snap disproportionally affected women because now they have to pay for their own drinks at the bar. Thanos will realize the error of his ways , unsnap his first snap and then snap himself out of existence. The infinity glove wiil just tumble to the ground at the feet of Captain Marvel and she will whisper "Smash the Patriarchy"

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
I still kinda wish they had gone with Charlize Theron. I did like the shifts in her overall narrative to fit in with the broader MCU storyline

I keep telling a friend of mine, feminist type, that Brie Larson was miscast because she has no presence and looks like a valley girl. My friend says she kinda gets that, but keeps asking who I would cast instead. I was having trouble coming up with someone, but Theron would be awesome. She's maybe a bit older than they would like for longevity, but that's the type of personality they needed
I think Mark Ruffalo brings something to Bruce Banner that just doesn't exist inside Ed Norton.
It's because Ruffalo actually built a character around Banner. He has mannerisms and quirks and feels like a real person. Norton as Banner was just Norton as Banner. He didn't bring anything extra to the character, he just kinda acted.

Anyway, saw the movie last night. Liked it for the most part. Larson didn't ruin the movie, but she certainly didn't elevate it. Her demeanour reminds me of Ronda Rousey when she walked to the ring; rousey would always do this faux scowl that you knew wasn't real. she was just mimicking what she thought a tough person was supposed to look like. I got that vibe from Larson. I just didn't believe her quips and badassery. She doesn't have it in her. I hope it doesn't negatively impact Endgame
And some parts of the movie felt like a Star Trek episode for some reason. Mostly the stuff in the Skrull ship and in Mar-Vell's lab. Other parts felt like the original Superman in the way it was shot and the things happening on screen. Especially the way Ronan was dealt with.

Overall worth seeing though. High midtier to low hightier

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I probably need to watch all this shit again, but how does the Tesseract get from Captain America to Lawson to create the light drive? And where did it go after CM? (I cant even remember what happened to it at end of CM, I remember it was in a lunch box..)

Had this discussion some with Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus , I construe the timeline as follows :
A) Cap goes down with Tesseract at the end of WWII.
B) Howard Stark finds Tesseract at some point later, It's held at Shield (at that point SSR) and top level clearance only. Stark does research on it.
C) Fury ends up in shield at some point in the 80's, and is working up in ranks in the 90's. Still doesn't have clearance to know about Cap and the Tesseract.
D) Mar Vell goes undercover as a scientist and leveraging advanced Skrull knowledge is seen as a genius, she talks about a lightspeed drive and it needing a tremendous power source to seed it. This gets her access to the Tesseract. My problem here is how she just takes it to a space station nobody knows about, but that's for them to explain or not.
E) Events of this movie happen.
F) Fury getting the Tesseract back and his boss "vanishing" ends up propelling him up the ranks quickly to director and he now knows about the Tesseract/Has clearance.
G) Leading to his showing it to the Dr from Thor, and leading to the events in the Avengers.

One thing the movie apparently does well is that it does establish exactly why Fury has such faith in Coulson.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Ya the Fury trusting Coulson is elevated by that scene in this movie and actually does even more for AoS to explain why Fury makes Coulson the director.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I keep telling a friend of mine, feminist type, that Brie Larson was miscast because she has no presence and looks like a valley girl. My friend says she kinda gets that, but keeps asking who I would cast instead. I was having trouble coming up with someone, but Theron would be awesome. She's maybe a bit older than they would like for longevity, but that's the type of personality they needed

It's because Ruffalo actually built a character around Banner. He has mannerisms and quirks and feels like a real person. Norton as Banner was just Norton as Banner. He didn't bring anything extra to the character, he just kinda acted.

Anyway, saw the movie last night. Liked it for the most part. Larson didn't ruin the movie, but she certainly didn't elevate it. Her demeanour reminds me of Ronda Rousey when she walked to the ring; rousey would always do this faux scowl that you knew wasn't real. she was just mimicking what she thought a tough person was supposed to look like. I got that vibe from Larson. I just didn't believe her quips and badassery. She doesn't have it in her. I hope it doesn't negatively impact Endgame
And some parts of the movie felt like a Star Trek episode for some reason. Mostly the stuff in the Skrull ship and in Mar-Vell's lab. Other parts felt like the original Superman in the way it was shot and the things happening on screen. Especially the way Ronan was dealt with.

This was posted many times:
emily-blunt-edge-of-tomorrow-photo2.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Emily Blunt.

screen-shot-2015-07-09-at-3-44-26-pm.png

Katheryn Winnick

KATH-v2_lagertha_09132013_jh_00802.jpg

1200x800_l4sfg0.jpg

• 6Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
This movie wasn't bad. Brie Larson was a poor choice though. Her character is extremely unlikable. Even when she is joking around she comes off as arrogant or insincere. Overall though the movie was fine. You won't be surprised by it. Your run of the mill super hero origin story.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
My wife saw the commercial and her immediate comment was that Brie Larson was making the same face in every scene and that she looks like she didn't even want to do this film. I immediately turned to her and said "thats why your a keeper"

• 7Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh, small note about the de-aging of Fury and Coulson. The technology is amazing, there is little to no uncanny valley.

That being said, I was aware it was being done, and that was distracting for me for the entire movie.

A purely CGI character like Raccoon or Groot or even someone like Talos in makeup/prosthetic is less distracting and easier to accept for me.
Coulson looked like he had makeup on. Fury was amazing. I practically forgot - oddly it was his hair that seemed off to me, not his face.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

hey, id take Rousey over Larson. at least Rousey has street cred as a fighter. valley girl larson looks like the most fighting she ever did was when the poor girl serving her a lattee at Starbucks messed up her order.

• 1Seriously?

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean really when you think about it the sheer power of the infinity gauntlet would make him unbeatable , so any way they take him down will be riddled with plot holes. Still it wouldn't make for an interesting story if Thanos was just unstoppable Jesus.
Good point. beating him in an unrealistic nerdrage-inducing way is by far the most probable outcome. I hope it's not Ultron II

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
My wife saw the commercial and her immediate comment was that Brie Larson was making the same face in every scene and that she looks like she didn't even want to do this film. I immediately turned to her and said "thats why your a keeper"

*You’re

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya the Fury trusting Coulson is elevated by that scene in this movie and actually does even more for AoS to explain why Fury makes Coulson the director.
project tahiti was also specifically created to revive a fallen avenger, as in earth can't lose one of em or we're fucked, but fury viewed coulson just as important to use project tahiti on him.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Her demeanour reminds me of Ronda Rousey when she walked to the ring; rousey would always do this faux scowl that you knew wasn't real.

actually attributing her to ronda level acting isn't a bad one, Ronda is easily the most horrible part of Mile 22, she just comes in there and "mean mugs" her screen time, worse than marky mark being a crazy bostonian to 11, thats what brie feels like, she's just so out of place.

it really could be she slurped marvel dick, it also could be that Marvel for some reason sight unseen, signed her on for 7 picture deal cuz they wanted a "young" actress, all the ones we listed as "better than brie" are already or would be too old for a 7 picture deal.

i mean hell, they're probably trying to learn from

Iron man 2 scarjo amazeballs widow
41QOGehXUxL.jpg

to beaten down bland looking widow
avengers-infinity-war-black-widow-slice-600x200.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
actually attributing her to ronda level acting isn't a bad one, Ronda is easily the most horrible part of Mile 22, she just comes in there and "mean mugs" her screen time, worse than marky mark being a crazy bostonian to 11, thats what brie feels like, she's just so out of place.

it really could be she slurped marvel dick, it also could be that Marvel for some reason sight unseen, signed her on for 7 picture deal cuz they wanted a "young" actress, all the ones we listed as "better than brie" are already or would be too old for a 7 picture deal.

i mean hell, they're probably trying to learn from

Iron man 2 scarjo amazeballs widow
41QOGehXUxL.jpg

to beaten down bland looking widow
avengers-infinity-war-black-widow-slice-600x200.jpg

As much as you wanna hate on Brie. She does have an Oscar and Golden Globe awards. She is not considered a shitty actress in Hollywood.

• 3Picard
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf