Captain Marvel (2019)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think what the rampant anti-SJW crowd and folks are failing to realize is that if you take all the hard core pipe banging SJWs, then add in all the Freedom loving politically aware purists and lovers of the art, you get all the people who are focused enough on the political gobbldegook going on around this movie to make a decision to see or not see it based on that. And guess what, that grand total of both sides of this political fight are piddlyshit compared to the vast majority of people who have probably not seen a single bit of Brie Larson's pressers, probably not seeing a bit of the protesting and bitching about her, probably haven't seen anything other than trailers and commercials advertising this as the next Marvel movie. Which means the Marvel money trail will keep chugging along.

In my humble opinion, this means unfortunately we will see this slide in this "make sure it has the right message for the right constituents, regardless of the story" stuff will keep going for a while until enough of a fiscal impact is felt at the Marvel/Disney level.

I wholly agree with this, and I thank my ability to separate my opinion of his political stances from his work as an actor so I can still enjoy the Hulk.
you dont think they will notice the absence of Hemwsorth, RDJ and Evans?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
you dont think they will notice the absence of Hemwsorth, RDJ and Evans?

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about people who are now apparently stunned that their gloom and doom "Captain Marvel will open under $100m for the weekend and be the first Marvel flop!" crap is pretty much the opposite of what is happening. I'll even openly admit part of me though it would open softer than it has, I was in the "It will open between $100-$120" crowd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about people who are now apparently stunned that their gloom and doom "Captain Marvel will open under $100m for the weekend and be the first Marvel flop!" crap is pretty much the opposite of what is happening. I'll even openly admit part of me though it would open softer than it has, I was in the "It will open between $100-$120" crowd.
i was hoping it would send a message to disney to stop making diversity hire superhero films. but Marvel's brand is really strong. it wont be in a few years though.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
i was hoping it would send a message to disney to stop making diversity hire superhero films. but Marvel's brand is really strong. it wont be in a few years though.

Regrettably I concur with your assessment sir...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
MCU is a huge ship so the consequences for their decisions would lag a bit behind those decision.
I would say they could have released utter shit as a lead in to Endgame and it would still make bank. According to all accounts CM is a mediocre to somewhat decent movie so i am not surprised it is doing good at the box office and i dont think anyone here was saying it would make a loss.
Endgame is culmination of 20+ movies and TV shows so everyone and their dog will go to see it(twice). The question is what will happen afterward.
I dont see any of the diveristy hires being able to carry the MCU torch far once this chapter concludes.

• 1Like

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just watched it, solid middle of the road Marvel movie. Young Fury and Coulson were a fucking trip. Larson was better than I thought, that deadpan delivery played much better in full scenes, especially with SLJ.

For all of the commentary surrounding the film, nothing felt hamfisted or forced in terms of narrative during the actual film like in TLJ (which was trash for many reasons, but that being one of them).

PunieHop

<Banned>
It just goes to show how far we have come as a society. Sci-fi nerd club used to be pretty exclusive and pull from the high side of the IQ spread. We are more inclusive now and opened our doors to the lower side of average. Viola! The Force is Female.
The sci-fi nerd club wouldn't accept someone who doesn't know the difference between "voila" and "viola".

VIOLARENTALONLY-2T.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Captain America : The FIRST Avenger wasnt very well received either. i liked it because i read the comics as a kid and it was a pretty heroic film, but i can see why others didnt like it too. he's lucky he didnt get the same treatment as Ed Norton. Ed Norton, guy must be fuming right now that he missed out on all that fat disneybucks.

Norton has been passed over for everything. He's one of Hollywood's largest assholes and is impossible to work with.

• 4Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm curious the motivation for these stars to pass on future movies as their super hero characters. I mean, the movies are almost guaranteed to be a success and make tons of money. I highly doubt Chris Evans or Hemsworth have a ton of other amazing offers that are the guaranteed success that another Captain America or Thor would be. Hemsworth was... the assistant in the SJW Ghostbusters? Evans was in Sunshine .. in 2007.

Maybe they're just bored? Or have "fuck you" money? Or keeping the perfect body is too hard? Blows my mind that Cavill and Afleck gave up Superman / Batman so early. I truly enjoyed both of them. Definitely makes you admire RDJ for having played Iron Man in so many damn movies.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm curious the motivation for these stars to pass on future movies as their super hero characters. I mean, the movies are almost guaranteed to be a success and make tons of money. I highly doubt Chris Evans or Hemsworth have a ton of other amazing offers that are the guaranteed success that another Captain America or Thor would be. Hemsworth was... the assistant in the SJW Ghostbusters? Evans was in Sunshine .. in 2007.

Maybe they're just bored? Or have "fuck you" money? Or keeping the perfect body is too hard? Blows my mind that Cavill and Afleck gave up Superman / Batman so early. I truly enjoyed both of them. Definitely makes you admire RDJ for having played Iron Man in so many damn movies.
Actors want to have a lifelong career, not isolated to a specific series. And Hemsworth absolutely is being offered roles. Evans not so much, which is why he said he'd play Captain as long as Marvel needed him to.

Comparing them to DC actors quitting is hardly similar. Cavill basically got shit canned by DC, not the other way around. And Affleck saw how terrible the movies were and wanted out. They were both amazing as the character, but the movies and such were fucking garbage with all sorts of internal turmoil given Zach Snyder's wife dying virtually crippling the DC movie verse.

Jackman is like 50 and was tired of maintaining the body of a 25 year old. He ran his character as long as reasonably possible. He also does all sorts of other films that are also quite successful.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back and I enjoyed it overall.

First 1/3 was pretty meh.... the remaining 2/3 was pretty awesome. The Captain Marvel character was pretty well done and had the potential to be great but Brie Larson just didn't deliver. I guess if they told her to pretend that not only your memory was wiped but so were all of your emotions and social queues then she nailed it. Story was decent once it got going. I liked her powers, encounters, and her moment with Ronin was solid.

I think everyone in my family walked away really enjoying the movie. I'm still on the fence with the cat. I thought some parts were funny and some were awkward. Sam Jackson sold those moments and every scene he was in. I'm curious to see how they handle the skrulls moving forward. I think it's good they dropped that thousands were spread throughout the universe so if there is a bitter, jaded, revenge driven group then it doesn't really mess with anything.

Everyone's ranking is pretty spot on. It's mid-tier. Better than the IM3 level stuff but not as good as the favorites.

First 1/3: C-
Remaining 2/3: B+

Brie needs to get some screen presence because I think they have a great potential character for the next phase of the MCU.

• 5Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
This has been happening on my social feeds.

Lefty dudes dropping the financial performance with no other comment. Smugly reveling in the fact that Disney was financially rewarded by throngs of their neighbours, despite the lead of the film being a proudly-out anti-white racist and misandrist.

It’s fucking surreal.
why do lefty dudes care about a capitalist venture?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

they're dumb fags, they should be doing it for at least 5 more years

look at this guy being a last minute replacement
0a2732d8fbf839d3c3da59c6079fc4c5

for every wolverine movie he does, he's allowed to sing like a fag in a circus, or sing like a frenchie fag, who cares, he's fucking jacked wolverine!

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Excellent movie. other person in theater seemed miffed I sat next to him and claimed his other drink holder, where I placed my phone.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users