Captain Marvel (2019)

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Saw this with a free pass because my company did some work for the theater. It wasn't Ghostbusters terrible and more entertaining than black panther. But as others have said, Brie was just so deadpan, it really hurt it.

Though I'm surprised no one mentioned the absolutely atrocious cgi on the cat. Shit was budget Garfield movie levels of bad, especially if the live action cat was recently on screen. I found it even more upsetting than Brie's performance, which is odd because the de-aging stuff on Samuel was great

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
8/10 film, nice presentation but ultimately nothing special.

only nitpicks as a comic nerd:

1. Mar Vell now an old white woman
2. Would it really have killed them to make the Supreme Intelligence show its true form during the climax? Like when Carol gets full power, the illusion of the projected image twists into twhat the Supreme Intelligence really looks like?
armstrong punch.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
8/10 film, nice presentation but ultimately nothing special.

only nitpicks as a comic nerd:

1. Mar Vell now an old white woman
2. Would it really have killed them to make the Supreme Intelligence show its true form during the climax? Like when Carol gets full power, the illusion of the projected image twists into twhat the Supreme Intelligence really looks like?
View attachment 200757

They are probably saving your spoiler for Capt. Marvel 2. Since that is supposed to focus on what she's been doing in the time between the first Capt. Marvel and Endgame.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Eh, I'm fine with the Supreme Intelligence just being a super AI vs. a giant head in a tank.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Saw this today, went in with pretty low expectations but actually enjoyed it a good bit. It wasn't nearly as pretentious as I thought it would be from the internet buzz, I rolled my eyes a bit at the "I'm just a girl" scene but it wasn't outright insulting like Black Panther was. It was entertaining enough and I liked the tie-ins with Fury, Ronin, the Tesseract, etc. I'd give it a 7.5/10, was fun would see again.

Personal anecdote, they were showing it every 30 mins at the theater we went to and the showing we went to was probably about 10% full. It was kind of surprising because movies like Infinity War were completely packed on week 2 in our area and you had to reserve a seat or wait in line for a while for it.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Saw this today, went in with pretty low expectations but actually enjoyed it a good bit. It wasn't nearly as pretentious as I thought it would be from the internet buzz, I rolled my eyes a bit at the "I'm just a girl" scene but it wasn't outright insulting like Black Panther was. It was entertaining enough and I liked the tie-ins with Fury, Ronin, the Tesseract, etc. I'd give it a 7.5/10, was fun would see again.

Personal anecdote, they were showing it every 30 mins at the theater we went to and the showing we went to was probably about 10% full. It was kind of surprising because movies like Infinity War were completely packed on week 2 in our area and you had to reserve a seat or wait in line for a while for it.

Its flooded in theaters. Even in my small town it takes up 4 of the 7 screens. Although this thing has passed 900 million worldwide already and should easily hit a billion.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Haven't seen this yet, doubt I will since it won't be on Netflix so eh, don't feel like i'm missing anything. But omg what the fuck is up with blowing smoke up wonder woman's ass (Even if Gal Gadot has a wonderful ass). That movie was garbage and her acting was horrible. I mean, yes I understand that at the time it was the best thing the DCEU had offered up so fans of DC would try and hype it up to at least mediocre levels but come on, that shit was just fucking bad.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Haven't seen this yet, doubt I will since it won't be on Netflix so eh, don't feel like i'm missing anything. But omg what the fuck is up with blowing smoke up wonder woman's ass (Even if Gal Gadot has a wonderful ass). That movie was garbage and her acting was horrible. I mean, yes I understand that at the time it was the best thing the DCEU had offered up so fans of DC would try and hype it up to at least mediocre levels but come on, that shit was just fucking bad.

I think because it was just better than all previous DCU movies it got a lot of love. I said it back then, it's just as good as a lower tier Marvel movie. It's just tops for DCU.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as a DC fan i was very happy with how they treated WW in the movie. she was portrayed as a feminine woman who was strong, they didnt go down the toxic male route, they also didnt marysue her, she was far from perfect and the other men in the movie carried their own weight. up to a point. i mean they still had to have WW save the day for most of the important fights, though Steve steals her thunder a bit in the end, which equalized everything IMO. she was also extremely beautiful, not as busty as Lynda Carter or in the comics, but she had ample boobage to suit me. her character also had a plot trajectory. yes the ending god fight was the worst part of the movie, but i was on board with the rest of the film.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly, with the exception of "no man's land," the movie did a really great job of having a super HERO, not a super HEY LOOK HOW MUCH BETTER WOMEN ARE. even though she comes from the land of amazons, there's very little feminism happening.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
honestly, with the exception of "no man's land," the movie did a really great job of having a super HERO, not a super HEY LOOK HOW MUCH BETTER WOMEN ARE. even though she comes from the land of amazons, there's very little feminism happening.

Well, to be fair, No Man's Land was the term used to describe the area between two enemy trench systems (I copied that definition from wikipedia), so it's not like they made up the term to be feminist. And the other thing is that they had a HUGE opportunity for her to say something stupid like "Well I'm a woman!" (in response to "no man can cross it"), and I'm sure everyone of us were expecting her to say that shit, but she didn't. And honestly, the whole scene from where she climbs the ladder to cross no mans land all the way to the destruction of the belltower is just fucking perfect.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, to be fair, No Man's Land was the term used to describe the area between two enemy trench systems (I copied that definition from wikipedia), so it's not like they made up the term to be feminist. And the other thing is that they had a HUGE opportunity for her to say something stupid like "Well I'm a woman!" (in response to "no man can cross it"), and I'm sure everyone of us were expecting her to say that shit, but she didn't. And honestly, the whole scene from where she climbs the ladder to cross no mans land all the way to the destruction of the belltower is just fucking perfect.

it's been a while since i saw it, but i remember it being pretty implicit that her exact thought WAS "well, i'm not a man." before crossing it.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Aside from the lame CGI villain (and he takes several points off the movie's score, its true), whats there to even complain about? Great casting, tolerable writing, a Wonder Woman arguably hotter than Lynda Carter kicking ass. What more did anyone want from a WW movie?

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Aside from the lame CGI villain (and he takes several points off the movie's score, its true), whats there to even complain about? Great casting, tolerable writing, a Wonder Woman arguably hotter than Lynda Carter kicking ass. What more did anyone want from a WW movie?
There was a lot to complain about, The movie was not good. Her acting was terrible, the supporting cast was just average at best (I must admit though im not a huge Chris Pine fan so maybe I'm biased there). I don't know, I guess I was just hoping for more when I seen it...maybe just all the hype raised my expectations to high and the movie couldn't match them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the supporting cast was just average at best (I must admit though im not a huge Chris Pine fan so maybe I'm biased there).
yea no, if it wasn't for Chris Pine the overall "acting" in that movie wouldn't even be D-list, he carried the WHOLE movie, just fast forward to the parts where it's just her on screen (non action) and it's laughable.

actually no different from sam jackson lending his acting skills to flat ass

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
as a DC fan i was very happy with how they treated WW in the movie. she was portrayed as a feminine woman who was strong, they didnt go down the toxic male route, they also didnt marysue her, she was far from perfect and the other men in the movie carried their own weight. up to a point. i mean they still had to have WW save the day for most of the important fights, though Steve steals her thunder a bit in the end, which equalized everything IMO. she was also extremely beautiful, not as busty as Lynda Carter or in the comics, but she had ample boobage to suit me. her character also had a plot trajectory. yes the ending god fight was the worst part of the movie, but i was on board with the rest of the film.

I was never a WW fan, but Gal Gadot was perfect for it and in it. She gives a great interview, too. Unlike bitchface who can't go 5 seconds without going full bitchwaffle.

1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
you must be a 00's kid
5698401-02.gif

thats like saying halle barry is the hottest catwoman
I'm pretty sure I'm old enough to be your dad, and I did say "arguably". Lynda Carter was hot but yeah, Gal Gadot is hotter.

Halle Barrey hot, WTF. Gross. She could play the Penguin and she wouldnt even be the hottest Penguin.

• 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users