Captain Marvel (2019)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That's lovely. Go find a thread about shit you watch on TV and push your bullshit there. Movies that show in movie theaters and the experience that's attached to it are obviously not your thing.
I also have some home movies of your mother that I enjoy.

• 2EyeRoll
  • 2Picard
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
You're arguing with the Kegkilla guy whose first post on the forum was his lavish fantasy of drilling my ass in DC.

Where do these new randos come from anyway?

"disabled gay mermaid"

penis-14.jpg

FOUND HER! So sex~

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Saw it today - wasn't awful, wasn't exciting - the Kree plot twist would have been twistier if every other Kree we had encountered up to this point wasn't a douchenogginmcbagodicks already. Skrull twist was nice though. Brie wasn't bad IMO - I think she played her persona fine - I didn't think she was wooden, just that's how her character was - warrior trained with zero memories of happy or fun - but when we did get glimpses of those they were played well. Jude Law rubbed off on her IMO more than she wanted to admit.

The downside was the predictable plot, the Flerken was funny, but a bit WTFy - and she truly had no one to test herself against - it was like an adult rampaging through a kids day care center once she stopped taking shit from people. That doesn't make for a riveting closing sequence of the movie - but the reveals were nice and it does make you look forward to Endgame.

The females are stronk was a little in your face - Fury for all his awesomeness certainly seemed very.... green at this point in time, definitely not the resourceful hardass we grow to love, but still... the male leads aren't slouches next to the obviously female centric cast. Not super impactful, but then it's hard to shine when you have a literal cosmic shitpusher on your side and she lets loose.

I think my biggest question after seeing this was what the hell did they do with the Flerken between this movie and any of the Avenger movies? Casual reading about it makes it sound like a bad idea to just have chilling on Earth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I wouldn't be surprised if Fury had the Flerken back at his house like a normal cat. Nothing protects your home like an eldrich horror disguised as a cat lol

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are any good copys of this floating around? I'm not going to pay to see this but would like to before end game, or I guess I'll just wait on a end game download as well.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just finished watching this one, echoing most of what was said already, but one defining aspect of the movie was that it was just.... bland. Like it's missing a soul. I mean, it's "fine" for what it is, but was basically a less shitty Green Lantern. Definitely a film I'm betting women would really enjoy.

They tried to make her funny, but her lines are flat. Why can't they figure out you can't make a female badass who is also awkwardly unfunny. Serious face walking with a group of military folks and she makes a dumb joke. Nobody laughs, of course.

"You struggle with your emotions." BITCH WHAT. She don't have any!
"It's all blank. My life." JUST LIKE YOUR LINES.

She has no fuckin' chemistry with any of the cast.

You have nearly every other main character in the MCU, and they're all charming as fuck. She, is not.

• 6Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Brie Larson

Captain Marvel Actress Brie Larson: “If I Have Any Sort of Privilege, I Immediately Want to Spend It…We Need The Change Now”
John F. Trent

April 11, 2019
Captain Marvel actress Brie Larson appeared at Tina Brown’s Women in the World conference in New York where she discussed spending her privilege to make change now rather than later.

Larson spoke about the cost of taking on the role of Captain Marvel, “There’s a cost to my job. And to do a film like that is a very big cost and it means maybe losing things that were gonna be important to me. Like walking around Central Park.”

The Captain Marvel actress would then discuss female’s leading big, blockbuster movies:
“I understand film history. I know that the film industry started with majority women. It started with women filmmakers. So, this weird idea that women maybe can’t open movies, or not important to storytelling, or the female story is not high art is bogus. I don’t want for a second buy into it. I’m very grateful to help break this glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars because I don’t know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place. It just seems like were humans.”
About halfway through the interview, Larson is asked about her activism in bringing more diversity into the film industry.
“I started noticing because the press days are actually for me the time when I get to talk about the movie, I don’t talk about it any other time. And I make things so they spark discussions. I don’t make them so people can be like ‘WOW! Look at your face!’ It’s like I don’t care I wish my face couldn’t be on the screen. I do it because of the content and because I want to see what it stirs in you. And because my opportunity to do that is with the press, I started noticing I was only getting select groups of people. And I was curious what it would be like to have a more intersectional diverse conversation.”
She would continue:
“I think it’s important for me to state that no one’s losing a chair. We’re just adding more chairs. That meant for me taking more time on my press days. Adding more hours to my day to make sure all those voices were in. Because I’m not trying to exclude anyone. The importance is to lift up more voices. Then it sort of spiraled from there. I realized there were so many other ways that I could do this whether it was trying to reach parity with the female to male designers that I wore. Making sure that I had people of color behind the camera as well, taking and doing photos for magazine shoots. It sort of spiraled from there into this thing where it opened this new world for me. I had such an incredible time on this press tour because of it.”
Larson previously stated she did not want to hear the opinions of 40-year-old white guys when it came to reviewing films like A Wrinkle Time. Larson would double down on those comments in an interview with Marie Claire where she stated:
“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”
She would later clarify her comments saying, “What I’m looking for is to bring more seats up to the table. No one is getting their chair taken away. There’s not less seats at the table, there’s just more seats at the table.”
Larson would also comment on the #MeToo movement at the Women in the World conference
“I was so grateful, so grateful for the strength and continued to be grateful for that strength because it has created this tidal wave of conversation that I don’t feel like has stopped or will stop anytime soon. Across industry changed things. It certainly changed my industry. We still of course have a long way to go, but it without a doubt is the reason why we have this historic shift is because of the bravery of the men and women who spoke up about the abuse they were experiencing.”
She would go on to discuss why she directed Netflix’s Unicorn Store
“Once again, part of my courage in doing it was not necessarily that I was like, ‘Hey everybody, like you gotta see what I can do’ I was just like, ‘We have to break these boundaries.’ And if I’m the one that’s even the one directing a film as a female and it’s bad at least it’s like ‘okay that’s over with, who’s next?’ If I have any sort of privilege, I immediately want to spend it. Whatever that currency is, I’m spending it immediately. I’m not going to hold onto it and hope that I put it into some account and it makes more money. I want to spend it because we need the change now. And I’m really not afraid of falling on my face because I’ve done it my whole life. I’m just kind of like bring it.”

• 3Garbage
  • 2Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
^^ God, Brie is so fucking stupid. Just unbelievably stupid.

You know how we've all had that hot girl we got lucky, fucked, and she liked us. But then you talk to her and she's so fucking annoying, or stupid, or dull, that you can't continue it. She's that girl. We'd all fuck her, brag about it, then after a week realize she's so hateable that you can't keep her around anymore.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users